Author Topic: [SOLVED] How to avoid localized/translated movie titles with the IMDB plugins  (Read 28279 times)

Offline alfa60

• View Profile
After the introduction of the new style of interface on IMDB, that website started to show the movie titles automatically localized, i.e., in my local language (Portuguese), probably detecting my localization by GeoIP (I guess). Logically, PVD IMDB Movie and people plugins are also capturing localized titles for the movies. I want those plugins to get always the original title in its original language, is there anything I can do about it on my side?
« Last Edit: October 24, 2010, 03:02:21 am by rick.ca »

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
  • "I'm willing to shoot you!"
    • View Profile
Re: How to avoid localized/translated movie titles with the IMDB plugins
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2010, 04:58:57 am »
I'm not 100% sure your Portuguese IMDb experience is the same as my English, but I'll be surprised if it's not...You should find Title is translated to the local language, but Original title always stays in the original language. I set my Overwrite fields preferences so Title is ignored, and Original title is overwritten. That way, my Title stays the way I want it (usually a localized English title, but sometimes the original language title), but I also get the original title.

I don't see any advantage to overriding the IMDb localization of Title, but it can probably be done. Log into IMDb and set the Title display country Site Preference to "original." Include your login information in the plugin configuration, and set the Overwrite fields preference for Title to "overwrite" (i.e., checked).

Offline alfa60

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2010, 04:56:35 pm »
At the IMDB movie and IMDB people plugins configuration, the checkboxes at the "Overwrite fields when importing data..." seem to be three state checkboxes. By default, these checkboxes are shown unchecked, with a blue background. But they are neither checked or unchecked, as I can check it, then uncheck it, and then turn it "unchecked blue". Does the "unchecked blue" state have any meaning?

I tried some combinations of checked/unchecked titles and original titles but this seems to not affect how the "full bio" is imported from IMDB.

The IMDB site preferences approach you suggested worked. Thank you.

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
  • "I'm willing to shoot you!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2010, 09:52:24 pm »
Does the "unchecked blue" state have any meaning?

Yes, it means "do not overwrite" or "add only if there's no existing data."

anything