Author Topic: "Specials" sub-folder for TV Series etc. and a setting for favorites  (Read 6963 times)

Offline valtek

• View Profile
First off, thank you Nostra and Rick.ca for such a great app and website.

Currently, when you add a new "Season" to an existing title, the program defaults the sub-folder to "Season # [##]". Since a lot of shows are also producing special featurettes, it would be nice if there was an option to edit the sub-folder title to rename it something like "Specials" or something like that.

Also, would it be possible to add a "Favorites" selection and corresponding color? Currently I'm using the "Wish" option for this purpose.

Thanks and continued success with your program and website.

Grant

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
  • "I'm willing to shoot you!"
    • View Profile
Re: "Specials" sub-folder for TV Series etc. and a setting for favorites
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2010, 10:19:22 pm »
Welcome, Grant.

Specials normally go to a "Season 0" or as "Episode 0" in the season to which they relate (which could be moved to "Season 0" if you prefer that). Is that not sufficient? It's not as simple as just allowing the season name to be changed because the "#" in "Season #" is the index number—and probably should be retained even if a caption could be added (i.e., "Season 0 - Specials").

I don't know if there are any plans for it, but related to this is the suggestion to include an information panel for seasons. In my mind, this would be a special movie-like record (i.e., all the same fields) initially populated with a summarization of the existing episode records (there would have to be a "summarize season" command). The fields could then be edited as required to, for example, add an appropriate poster or banner and a description. If that existed, it would then be very clear what "Season 0" is when selected.

As for list colours, I said recently...

I don't think there could be different list background colours for quality [or favourites or whatever] while still doing the same for seen, not seen, wished, loaned, etc. (each of which can be selected or not selected).

If you don't need Wish flag as a wish flag, then that should work for you. Using a custom language file, you can change all occurrences of "wish" to "favourite." But for those who wanted both, there would be too many colours required to distinguish all the possible combinations.

But here's an idea that would be easy to implement and use: Allow a different colour to be set for items that are "wished" and "owned." That is wished + owned = favourite. The wish flag could do double-duty, indicating a non-existing movie is wished for and an existing movie is a favourite. 8)

Offline nostra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Personal Video Database
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2010, 11:01:51 pm »
I don't know if there are any plans for it, but related to this is the suggestion to include an information panel for seasons.

I do not think this functionality will be available any time soon.
Gentlemen, you can’t fight in here! This is the War Room!

Offline valtek

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2010, 10:08:34 pm »
Thanks for your suggestions Rick, I utilized your suggestion for the "Wish" flag/colour for my "favourites" and just changed the caption to "Favorites". It works great for me since I wasn't using the "Wish" option.

By the way Rick, are you Canadian? I thought you might be because of the ".ca" after your name, but your spelling of "colour" and "favourite" are giveaways. Myself, having a programming background, got used to the American spellings, too many syntax errors using "colour" and "centre". LOL!!!!

Nostra, you've done a great job on this program, I've recommended it many of my friends. Thanks.

Offline nostra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Personal Video Database
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2010, 10:25:56 pm »
Nostra, you've done a great job on this program, I've recommended it many of my friends. Thanks.

Thx, I hope you will like the next version even more :)
Gentlemen, you can’t fight in here! This is the War Room!

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
  • "I'm willing to shoot you!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2010, 10:55:44 pm »
By the way Rick, are you Canadian?

Yes, I Am Canadian. I'd rather my software crash and burn than be mistaken for American. ;D

anything