Author Topic: Feature Requests  (Read 8395 times)

Offline trumpy81

• User
    • View Profile
Feature Requests
« on: December 06, 2010, 07:30:17 am »
GDay All,

I would like to suggest the following:

1. A play button that invokes Windows Media Center instead of Windows Media Player, without changing filetype associations. Useful if you have a Media Center remote  ;D
2. A function that allows one to save all poster images to a designated folder, particularly useful when the images are stored within the database.

Cheers and season greetings to all.
Regards
Andy M

Offline nostra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Personal Video Database
Re: Feature Requests
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2010, 12:09:05 am »
1. A play button that invokes Windows Media Center instead of Windows Media Player, without changing filetype associations. Useful if you have a Media Center remote  Grin

Why don't you want add change file associations?

2. A function that allows one to save all poster images to a designated folder, particularly useful when the images are stored within the database.

You can create an export template for this task.
Gentlemen, you can’t fight in here! This is the War Room!

Offline trumpy81

• User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2010, 08:39:16 am »
Why don't you want add change file associations?

Nostra, Simply because I use Media Player for watching video clips and I don't want those clips populating Media Center. I use Media Center for watching movies and it is controlled by my TV Card/Media Center Remote Control.
Regards
Andy M

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
  • "I'm willing to shoot you!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2010, 11:34:59 am »
It's a file association issue, and should be resolved as such. If you can't find a way to restrict video clips to types associated with Media Player, you can add them to PVD using a particular playlist type and associate that playlist type with Media Player.

Offline trumpy81

• User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2010, 07:02:11 pm »
It's a file association issue, and should be resolved as such. If you can't find a way to restrict video clips to types associated with Media Player, you can add them to PVD using a particular playlist type and associate that playlist type with Media Player.

How can it be a file association issue when all the files have an .avi extension?

My .avi files are correctly associated with Media Player, however, if I choose to open an .avi file with Media Center, then that file is included within the Media Center database, which is fine as long as its a movie file and not a video clip.

The only distinction between a movie file and a video clip is the filename, not the extension.
Regards
Andy M

Offline nostra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Personal Video Database
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2010, 01:14:30 am »
I understand. Maybe I will add file associations within PVD some time, but I do not think it will be soon.
Gentlemen, you can’t fight in here! This is the War Room!

Offline trumpy81

• User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2010, 02:18:12 am »
I understand. Maybe I will add file associations within PVD some time, but I do not think it will be soon.

Nostra, thanks for the consideration and thanks for the heads up re: export templates.
Regards
Andy M

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
  • "I'm willing to shoot you!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2010, 04:00:28 am »
How can it be a file association issue when all the files have an .avi extension?

Video files are containers. Generally, the application doesn't care what the extension is. If the OS tells it to open a file, it will read what's inside the container. So just give the video files you want Media Player to open an extension associated only with Media Player. For example, on my system, I can give any video file an MP2V extension, and it will be opened by Media Player instead of my usual media player. MP2V is just an extension associated with Media Player that I don't otherwise use.