Author Topic: "Film Editor" & "Cinematographer" Fields?  (Read 8418 times)

Offline lungnut

• View Profile
"Film Editor" & "Cinematographer" Fields?
« on: December 08, 2010, 01:23:25 am »
Hi,

Is there any way to feature these two key positions (more important than "Composer" in my mind) in the movie's info screen?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: December 08, 2010, 07:12:35 am by lungnut »

Offline nostra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Personal Video Database
Re: "Film Editor" & "Cinematographer" Fields?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2010, 03:44:49 am »
No, but there are plans for custom career types.
Gentlemen, you can’t fight in here! This is the War Room!

Offline lungnut

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2010, 07:12:15 am »
Well, that's disappointing. But I'm glad there's some thought into incorporating it in future releases.

These two jobs (editor and cinematographer) are so central to a movie's success or failure, I see this omission as one of the few missteps I've encountered with PVD.

That said, this program is fantastic.

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
  • "I'm willing to shoot you!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2010, 12:29:13 am »
You forgot Production Designer, Costume Designer and Casting Director. Together with Composer, Director of Photography and Editor, the relative importance of these production roles varies with each film, and for any one film is likely to remain largely subjective. So I think you misspoke in suggesting there's been a misstep. You are correct about the program being fantastic, however. ;)

No, but there are plans for custom career types.

I'm not sure what's meant by this. There's not much point in collecting any additional credits unless they are related by career type. But custom career types suggests these may not be supported by plugins. It seems to me the ability to track any of the significant production roles in the same manner as Composer would be much more useful than a custom career type that's not filled by plugins.

Offline lungnut

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2010, 07:04:51 am »
You forgot Production Designer, Costume Designer and Casting Director. Together with Composer, Director of Photography and Editor, the relative importance of these production roles varies with each film, and for any one film is likely to remain largely subjective. So I think you misspoke in suggesting there's been a misstep.

It might have something to do with my profession, which is film editing :-)

That said, I would love if this feature would make it in to a future iteration of PVD. Is there something that prevents this or is it the fact that so few people desire it?

Offline nostra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2010, 11:36:10 pm »
I'm not sure what's meant by this. There's not much point in collecting any additional credits unless they are related by career type. But custom career types suggests these may not be supported by plugins. It seems to me the ability to track any of the significant production roles in the same manner as Composer would be much more useful than a custom career type that's not filled by plugins.

The plugins would need pass the career type along with the movie titles, url and year, that's all. Any plugin will be able to support such a system and if you use the same plugin or all plugins use the same naming convention there should be no problems.

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2010, 06:03:26 am »
Any plugin will be able to support such a system and if you use the same plugin or all plugins use the same naming convention there should be no problems.

I understand. But the catch is you're the author of the primary plugins. So it would be up to you to update those plugins to get the additional data, and to assign the career names. I suppose you could leave it up to users to configure custom fields with the same names to save that data. But from a user perspective, this is no different—other than being a bit more trouble—than if you hard-coded the additional careers so they're just like the existing ones.

I also understand, if you're going to add custom careers, you may as well let that handle any additional career types you might add to the plugins.

Offline nostra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2010, 06:39:38 pm »
The custom career types will be added automatically, if requested by a plugin, so there should be no problems for users using this feature. Of course, I will update plugins to support the new functionality when its there.

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2010, 04:27:37 am »
Excellent. I can't wait to get Grips, Gaffers and Wranglers into my database. ;)

Offline ouafouaf

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2011, 08:34:24 pm »
sorry for bumping this. was also wondering about these "missing" fields. I particulary miss the "cinematographer" field. It's such an important job, even though it's not often under the spotlight in the media.
I hope it will be added soon :)

anything