Author Topic: File type associations  (Read 4503 times)

Offline AimHere

• Older Power User
    • View Profile
File type associations
« on: December 08, 2010, 06:02:34 pm »
I realize the following may be outside the scope of PVD, but thought I'd ask anyway.

I'm having a problem with my file type associations and PVD. Specifically, AVI files are associated in Windows with Media Player Classic HomeCinema, yet when I click the "Play movie" button in PVD, it runs Winamp instead.

What's more, Winamp doesn't even start playing the movie. Instead, it displays an "Open" dialog, with the folder path set to "C:\Users\Public\Music\Sample Music" (no file selected).

I'm sure I must have had Windows set to run Winamp for AVI files at some point, then changed it to MPC-HC. But if MPC-HC is honored everywhere else in Windows as my player of choice for AVIs (e.g. double-clicking in Explorer), why isn't PVD recognizing the fact?

I've tried changing the association for AVI to other media players (Windows Media Player, VLC Player, J. River Media Center), but each time I test in PVD, all I get is Winamp!

Any ideas why PVD isn't launching the right app?

Running PVD 0.9.9.21 on Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit.

Aimhere
« Last Edit: December 08, 2010, 06:07:11 pm by AimHere »

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
  • "I'm willing to shoot you!"
    • View Profile
Re: File type associations
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2010, 08:15:16 pm »
Does it happen when the movie consists of one AVI file, or just when two or more? The only thing I can think of is that PVD is wrapping multiple files in a playlist (as set at Preferences>Miscellaneous) and the chosen playlist type is associated with Winamp. I assume your version of Winamp is not one capable of playing video.

It seems you understand, but just to be clear...PVD cannot have a problem with file associations. All it does is ask Windows to open files. Windows does so according to the file associations recorded.

Offline AimHere

• Older Power User
    • View Profile
Re: File type associations
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2010, 08:41:33 am »
Rick, I have one word for you:

D'oh!!!

That was it! I never considered that PVD would "wrap" multiple files in a playlist, but that's exactly what it was doing! I confirmed that PVD would launch Media Player Classic for single-file movies (while still launching Winamp for multiple-file ones). All I had to do was go into MPC's file type settings and have it take control of the "playlist" file types. After that, PVD behaves the way I was expecting, and launches MPC for everything.

It wouldn't have occurred to me to check for that, as I never really use playlist files much myself. And I hadn't tested single-file behavior from PVD, since the bulk of my movies are in two or more parts.

Thanks a ton!

Aimhere