Author Topic: Title of Movies v.0.9.9.21  (Read 7739 times)

Offline tikivideo

• View Profile
Title of Movies v.0.9.9.21
« on: December 13, 2010, 09:32:27 pm »
The titles of my movies has the date in parenthesis.  I.E. The Nightmare Before Christmas (1993).  In my older version of PVD, the title would be saved as: Nightmare Before Christmas (1993), The.   With this new version, it is saved as: Nightmare Before Christmas, The, without the date.   How can I have the version 21 retain the date in the title, when moving "articles" to the end of the title?

Thanks
« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 09:50:18 pm by tikivideo »

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
  • "I'm willing to shoot you!"
    • View Profile
Re: Title of Movies v.0.9.9.22
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2010, 09:50:14 pm »
Preferences>Movies>Title formatting.

Offline tikivideo

• View Profile
Re: Title of Movies v.0.9.9.21
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2010, 10:00:57 pm »
Thanks! It now works.

Offline tikivideo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2010, 10:07:12 pm »
Post Script....  I thought it worked.  I added %Y to the title formatting, but now all my old records inputed with the old version showing Nightmare Before Christmas (1993), The.... now shows Nightmare Before Christmas (1993), The 1933.  The date is shown twice.

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2010, 10:13:53 pm »
If you've included the year in the title (e.g., "The Nightmare Before Christmas (1993)") then that's what it's going to show.

Offline tikivideo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2010, 10:21:52 pm »
It appears when PVD moves the article "The" to the end of the title, which I have selected, it drops the date in the parenthesis. The Nightmare Before Christmas (1993) is saved as: Nightmare Before Christmas, The, without the date.

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2010, 01:24:20 am »
No. The two options are completely independent of one another. The prefix handler determines the format of the title—as it is stored in the Title field. The other option determines which fields are displayed in the list. So if you choose to put prefixes at the end of the title and display the list as %T (%Y), then the value saved in your Title field will be Nightmare Before Christmas, The and it will be displayed in the list as Nightmare Before Christmas, The (1993).

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline tikivideo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2010, 05:54:02 am »
Thanks for the response, Rick.  As I first posted, the titles of all my movies (over 2500) has the date in parenthesis in the file name.  I.E. The Nightmare Before Christmas (1993).avi.  My entire database created with using the older versions of PVD, has the list and the title saved in the following format: Nightmare Before Christmas (1993), The.

If I add (%Y) then the entire database of over 2500 movies now shows: Nightmare Before Christmas (1993), The (1993) with the date repeated in the list twice, but is properly display in the title as: Nightmare Before Christmas, The (1993).

Only when the prefix article is moved, the date is dropped off in the list and in the title.  If the file name does not have an prefix, then the date is kept properly in the list and the title.

Protocol has changed with this version of the program.

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2010, 07:03:55 am »
Sorry, but this is completely foreign to my experience with the program, and I'm unable to reproduce the behaviour you describe. Bearing in mind the appearance of the list and the recorded filename have nothing to do with the anything the program might do to the recorded Title, please describe exactly how and when the year disappears from the Title. If you believe the date is being removed, then it must have been there at some point. Can you identify the timing or the event that caused it to be removed? If the title does not include the year, what happens if you edit the record to include it? Is it removed again?

And it may not be relevant to the question—as you should be able to do so if you choose—by why are you recording the year with the title? There's a separate field for the year.

Offline tikivideo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2010, 07:15:55 am »
Create a new entry by making up a title starting with "The" and ending with (2010) without (%Y).

For example: The Test of PVD (2010).avi - when the record is created, the list and title will show: Test of PVD, The, with the date from the file name dropped.

Now edit that record and manually input (2010) into the title: Test of PVD, The (2010).  When the record is saved the list and the title will show Test of PVD, The (2010) the way PVD used to save the list and title.  All previously save entries in my data base will show the date in this format.

Now if the title formatting is changed to include (%Y), then the entire database will now show in the list and title the following format: Test of PVD, The (2010) 2010).  Even titles that did not have the prefix moved and had been showing the date, will now all have the date repeated.

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2010, 09:11:31 am »
I would have preferred you answered my questions. "The Test of PVD (2010).avi" is not "a title starting with 'The' and ending with (2010)." It's a file name ending with ".avi." Nor have you described exactly how you "create a new entry." Fine. I'll guess...

You're using NMM to add the record. You're directing it to add the file named The Test of PVD (2010).avi. The program is properly identifying the title as "The Test of PVD," and entering this in the title box of the dialog—which you're not overriding. Your preference is to move prefixes to the end, so this title is recorded as "Test of PVD, The." You add "2010" to the title, so it's now "Test of PVD, The (2010)." If your list is configured to display %T (%Y), then this title appears as "Test of PVD, The (2010) (2010)."

If this is so, the program has not done anything to remove or add the year to the title. It's only doing exactly what you're telling it to do. As I said, "If you've included the year in the title...then that's what it's going to show," and your issue has nothing to do with the title formatting options. If you insist on recording the year with the title, you're going to have to do so explicitly. It's not reasonable to expect the program to do so.

Offline tikivideo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2010, 06:25:16 am »
SOLVED!  The problem I have been experiencing was caused by IMDB [EN] plugin 0.9.6.2 replacing my title (with the date) with IMDB's title (without a date).  I unticked Title in the plugin and everything works properly for me again.

anything