Author Topic: Show localized AKA movie title?  (Read 8565 times)

Offline johnye_pt

• View Profile
Show localized AKA movie title?
« on: January 12, 2011, 03:15:03 am »
Hello. I've been using PVD 0.9.9.21 portable for months and it's the best movie database program i ever!

I have a doubt about AKA titles. For example, "Alice In Wonderland" (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1014759/) is AKA "Alice no País das Maravilhas" for Brazil / Portugal, i would like to know if it's possible to show Portuguese AKA title first when it exists.

If this is not yet possible, maybe it could become a feature for a future release  ;)

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
  • "I'm willing to shoot you!"
    • View Profile
Re: Show localized AKA movie title?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2011, 07:54:12 am »
Welcome, johnye_pt.

Yes, it's possible to change the title to that used when released in a particular country...

You could avoid this creepy IMDB language mess-up by subscripting to an (free) IMDB account. Then it is possible to select your preferred language Title display country. Enter your ID and the password to the PVD preferences (Plugins – IMDB – Configure) and everything is fine.

See IMDb Site Preferences, item 8.

Offline johnye_pt

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2011, 10:05:36 am »
Maybe i'm missing something. I registered an account at IMDB and changed site Preferences to Portuguese Title display country and language, IMDB shows Portuguese movie title when searching or entering a direct movie link, and added login/password to IMDB plugin in PVD. But when i added a movie to PVD it was all in English (as it is supposed to be and as i like it) and the first AKA title was still the same as in the IMDB list (Spanish in the movie i added), not filtering out Portuguese stuff anywhere.

EDIT: topic title should be "Show selected localized AKA movie title first?", because all i want is exactly that, in the AKA titles list, the first AKA title shown in the selected language (when available) and all the other AKA titles below that one, everything else can stay in English as it already is.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 11:57:40 am by johnye_pt »

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2011, 12:12:41 pm »
Sorry, I assumed you would prefer the Portuguese title displayed as the Title. There's no way to change the order of the AKA list, other than to manually edit the field.

If there were to be a feature added, I think it would be to put the title for a specified country into a separate "Local title" field. But even then, I doubt such a feature would interest many users. :-\

Offline johnye_pt

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2011, 12:44:01 pm »
A localized title field would be a good feature too, or better yet an option to switch between original title and localized title in the main Movie List  ;)

Could a custom script download the AKA list from IMDB, filter the localized AKA title (if available), and reorder the list with the localized AKA title at first position?

I like having all my movies with original title (usually English), but sometimes friends/family members don't recognize the movie by it's original title, hence the need for localized titles.

Offline nostra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Personal Video Database
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2011, 09:28:50 pm »
Actually the design of the application assumes that you save the localized title as "Title" and original title goes to "Original Title" field. All other titles are meant to be in Aka field.
Gentlemen, you can’t fight in here! This is the War Room!

Offline johnye_pt

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2011, 11:22:13 pm »
Actually the design of the application assumes that you save the localized title as "Title" and original title goes to "Original Title" field. All other titles are meant to be in Aka field.

Ok, THAT i didn't notice lol

So, ignore ALL i said so far  ;D since the program already saves "Original Title" and (localized) "Title" per IMDB settings, all it is missing is an option where we could change the movie list between "Original Title" and "Title". Maybe in the form of a button in the toolbar?

I still have problems getting the localized title from IMDB, this is what i got so far: i have IMDB configured to Portuguese, i added login information to IMDB plugin (the one in bold by default), i copied/pasted the login/pass to IMDB login page just to check they were right, then i tried scanning a folder with an AVI (You don't mess with the Zohan). The "Title" created by PVD was the same has the original title, yet in IMDB is "Não te metas com o Zohan". So my question now is: do i have to type the (localized) title manually, or should the (localized) title be read from IMDB by PVD (which isn't happening)?

Offline nostra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Personal Video Database
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2011, 11:40:19 pm »
Did you configure the plugin to overwrite the title? (You need to fully (not grayed) check the checkbox next to the field name on the list below plugins)
Gentlemen, you can’t fight in here! This is the War Room!

Offline johnye_pt

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2011, 12:34:39 am »
Did you configure the plugin to overwrite the title? (You need to fully (not grayed) check the checkbox next to the field name on the list below plugins)

THANKS! Because the checkboxes were all checked, i didn't notice they were grayed behind the check, so i just "ungrayed" those two checkboxes. Title list is still in English like i like it, but movies are now saved with Portuguese Title and Original Title.

Maybe a button to switch between Title and Original Title in the movies list could make its way to a future release?  ;D

You guys are great, thanks for all the help, that's what makes a great program even greater ;)

EDIT1: The movie list changes to Portuguese Titles after all, so for now i'll keep them in English. If (or when?) it becomes possible to list Original Titles instead of Titles, all i have to do is add the IMDB login info, then CTRL+A in the Titles list and press the execute plugin button :)

EDIT2: It doesn't change the List Titles after all, the Title in the list only changes if i edit the film after updating the Title to Portuguese with IMDB! Weird, but it works for now  :)

EDIT3 Argh i hate editing, but i hate double posting even more... well the Titles list changes after all, so i'm back to EDIT number 1... nobody is perfect!
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 01:08:07 am by johnye_pt »

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2011, 08:03:58 am »
Maybe a button to switch between Title and Original Title in the movies list could make its way to a future release?

The title used in the list is set at Preferences > Movies > Title formatting. If titles are changed by running a plugin, the changes likely won't show in the list until it has been refreshed.

Offline johnye_pt

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2011, 11:33:58 am »
Maybe a button to switch between Title and Original Title in the movies list could make its way to a future release?

The title used in the list is set at Preferences > Movies > Title formatting. If titles are changed by running a plugin, the changes likely won't show in the list until it has been refreshed.

THANKS again! That's exactly what i wanted. I'm really feeling like a noob now, that's practically the first thing in Preferences that i messed with it when i first started using PVD... %O (%Y)  ;D

Some movies don't have Original Title, maybe because it's equal to Title (no localized title available in IMDB), it's just a hand full, so i copied the Title manually.

You guys are the BEST!!

EDIT: Many localized Titles are not available in IMDB, but i have found a webpage called cinema.ptgate.pt that has (as far as i've checked) all my movies with both original and localized titles. The problem is that i have to search every movie manually, so i guess when i have the time i'll try to make some kind of script to do it more quickly.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 12:44:17 pm by johnye_pt »