Author Topic: SQL Server Integration  (Read 6321 times)

Offline SickPuP

• View Profile
SQL Server Integration
« on: January 22, 2011, 05:11:35 pm »
There needs to be a feature to connect to a SQL Server database, create a set of tables/views, and then all data created is automatically inserted directly into the database.  SQL Server 2008 can store images and XML data in their raw form so it should be easy to come up with a database structure.  Just be sure that the structure is properly normalized, scalable, and named properly.  Nothing worse that a poorly designed database.

Offline nostra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Personal Video Database
Re: SQL Server Integration
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2011, 05:40:15 pm »
PVD already uses SQL Database - Firebird successfully for years ;) Feel free to connect to your database with any app that supports Firebird/Interbase and manage your data.
Gentlemen, you can’t fight in here! This is the War Room!

Offline SickPuP

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2011, 03:22:31 am »
Firebird is NOT SQL Server.  Firebird is a standalone database that is open source, offer "some" of the features of many different database models.  It requires a custom ODBC driver to connect.  ODBC is outdated, slow, and this driver is not common with every day applications.  Firebird also does not support x64 Windows Servers.  I am asking for native MS SQL Server support.  For that matter the request could be for Oracle, MS SQL, and MySQL.  I am working right now on a little application which should allow a connection to a SQL Server, create the necessary database, and import the XML file and images exported from PVD.  I am nearing initial testing so I should be able to finish it within a couple days.

Offline nostra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Personal Video Database
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2011, 01:39:16 pm »
I think you misinterpreting smth here. Any database engine that has a client-server architecture and uses SQL is an SQL server and Firebird does just that. It is not slower or less powerful than other servers you named (except Oracle). There are 32bit and 64 versions of Firebird, so I do not know what else do you need...
Gentlemen, you can’t fight in here! This is the War Room!

Offline federer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2011, 09:45:09 am »
This is the main point "be sure that the structure is properly normalized, scalable, and named properly"