Author Topic: Meaning of "Translation" field (File->Video/Audio)  (Read 4769 times)

Offline FilmLuchs

• View Profile
Meaning of "Translation" field (File->Video/Audio)
« on: February 16, 2011, 06:15:25 pm »
Hi

what's the meaning of the field "Translation"?
You can find it when editing the audio/video properties, e.g. language, bitrate etc.
The combo box is empty, whats the purpose of the field?

thanks

Offline nostra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Personal Video Database
Re: Meaning of "Translation" field (File->Video/Audio)
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2011, 10:54:25 pm »
Sometimes there are multiple tracks with different dubbing and you can define what dubbing it is in the translation field...
Gentlemen, you can’t fight in here! This is the War Room!

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
  • "I'm willing to shoot you!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2011, 11:20:56 pm »
I'm not sure, but I've always assumed Language means the original language, and Translation is the language is has been dubbed to—in that stream. (Note that audio information is recorded separately for each stream, and these are single value fields.) But I can't say I've ever seen it written that way in a file's tags. It seems the language of the stream is always in Language, whether it's dubbed or not. Translation is more often something completely unrelated to language (e.g., it's a Google copyright notice for trailers I've downloaded from YouTube). :-\

Nostra posted as I type. I suppose his answer is consistent with mine. Language is going to be the language of the stream, not the original language. So I suppose the sensible way to indicate Translation is "from [original language]." The collapsed stream info will then read, "[dubbed language] - from [original language]."

BTW, this field type shows a list of all values existing in the database in the combo box. The list of values is can be edited in Preferences>Lists.

Offline FilmLuchs

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2011, 06:52:08 pm »
OK i understand, thanks for the detailed answer  :)