Author Topic: Question about labels (i.e. Seen & Wish)  (Read 4660 times)

Offline AppleRoot

• View Profile
Question about labels (i.e. Seen & Wish)
« on: April 17, 2011, 05:23:27 pm »
I love the software but there is one thing I don't understand when it comes to labeling my movies.

Because the way I'd like to use this software, is to find out 2 things about each movie in my database:

• Whether I've seen the movie or not (on a sidenote: 'not' means I still want to see it, otherwise I wouldn't add it in my database)
  • Whether I want to own the movie / I don't want to own the movie / Already own it

So I can create the following scenario's:

• Movie A: Seen it, want to own it
  • Movie B: Seen it, don't want to own it
  • Movie C: Seen it, already own it
  • Movie D: Didn't see it (yet), want to own it
  • Movie E: Didn't see it (yet), don't want to own it
  • Movie F: Didn't see it (yet), already own it

Is this possible wihout making custom fields? Because to be honest I don't want to use a custom field for this. Otherwise I get inconsistent data like "I would not like to own it, but I do own it". Also I'd like to give different colors to every label.

Edit
I'm not trying to answer my own question, but I've given it some thought. Would it be an idea to rename Wish to something like Collection and change the options to something like Want it, Don't want it and Have it? It still keeps the old thought behind it, yet perfectly suits the needs of people like me.

Hmmm, now it starts to look like a suggestion. Sorry about that.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2011, 08:57:35 pm by AppleRoot »

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
  • "I'm willing to shoot you!"
    • View Profile
Re: Question about labels (i.e. Seen & Wish)
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2011, 08:54:54 pm »
Welcome, AppleRoot.

Filters are described here. They include the wished, owned and viewed attributes you mention plus a versatile "loaned" that you can use for anything. While you can select any possible combination of filters, not every combination can be assigned a different colour. There would be so many different colours it would be difficult to make any sense out it. The program keeps it simple in this way: Different colours can be assigned to bookmarked, loaned, wished and viewed (and for each of those, a different colour for selected items). The colour used is based on that order of precedence (e.g., a wished and viewed item will appear in the wished colour; bookmarked items always appear in the bookmarked colour, regardless of other attributes).

Bear in mind you have to make some decisions about what some things mean, and them use the features accordingly. For example, "wished" could me you wish to acquire the media, or you just wish to view the movie. An item is "owned" simply if a File path has been recorded. If you want to distinguish purchased DVD's from downloaded files, you would have to use some other means to do so.

Offline AppleRoot

• View Profile
Re: Question about labels (i.e. Seen & Wish)
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2011, 09:01:48 pm »
Oops, I just edited my post while you were responding. So I guess nevermind my edit :)

Thanks for your response. I wasn't actually aware of the existence filter, based on the location of a movie on a harddrive. That might actually do the trick for me.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2011, 09:03:27 pm by AppleRoot »