Author Topic: AllMovie disappeared, Allrovi.com appeared!  (Read 61982 times)

Offline minolotus

• User
    • View Profile
Re: AllMovie disappeared, Allrovi.com appeared!
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2011, 09:49:00 pm »
Oh no, that is sad. I was so happy after discovering that all the information from the former website are available via the api that I did not read the terms of use.  :'(

I am really stamped at the moment since I preferred the data from allmovie to organize my movies. That worked very well for me. But now I have to import the data from imdb for all my movies, adjust pvdimport and mc views …  >:(

Minolotus (former allmovie.com fan)

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
  • "I'm willing to shoot you!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2011, 10:29:31 pm »
I suppose a small ray of hope is a developer could create something like a plugin for J. River Media Center, and offer that to MC users on a subscription basis. But I found no hint on Rovi's developer site of how they do business with developers. It must be one of those "if you have to ask..." sort of things. This was the main thing I was looking for—just so I might understand the possibilities. It might have explained, for example, why J. River has not shown any interest. It seems obvious providing an automatic download of Rovi meta data for both movies, tv and music would make 95% of their users extremely happy. Most would be understanding/happy if it were only available at additional cost. But for some reason, they haven't done that, or even floated the idea. The answer might be the cost and/or risk is just too much for the small developer.

Offline minolotus

• User
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2011, 11:24:42 pm »
Even if a developer would make a plugin for MC I am not sure if I would use. I really like MC and use it to search within my database for movies and shows I want to watch next. But I think it is not very handy to edit and input data. PVD is much more better for this. Therefore I use PVD to collect and maintain the data for the movies and MC as a “front end”. A plugin for MC would make this division of work difficult.

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2011, 02:32:50 am »
Even if a developer would make a plugin for MC I am not sure if I would use.

I might not either. I was only offering an example I knew would be familiar to you.

That being said, it such a plugin really did automatically supply any and all Rovi meta data for all my media in MC, I don't know why I would not use it. I would still use PVD to view and manage the data, and get information for movies Rovi does not have. And since PVD could easily import MC sidecar data, MC would serve a front end for the Rovi data it would not otherwise have access to.

Offline Ivek23

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2011, 08:57:13 am »
I wouldn't expect nostra to get around to this anytime soon. Even if he could, there may be further changes coming—assuming Rovi is inclined to respond to the flood of complaints this is likely to generate. There's no point trying to rewrite a script for a site that keeps changing. On the other hand, I suspect there are many of us for whom this is a major problem.

Hopefully Nostra find a way, how and what to help us However, even for those
for which this is a big problem.

The more I watch and study the original code page all the more likely seems to me,perhaps, I hope that this wrong, that we will be quiet forever goodbye to all the data from the old AllMovie.com (all as old AllMovie.com definitely will not be back, colt users on their forum to claim back a lot of old AllMovie.com, many users are saying, that on such a site as it is now even more AllRovi.com will not return, AllRovi policy to end users, we feel that they just negligence, If users no longer use their site with movies and other data), as well as always goodbye to all the data from the new AllRovi, because New AllRovi is too complicated to do Nostra had time to convert the existing AllMovie script or possibly for a brand new AllRovi script and I hope I am wrong in this.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2011, 10:48:49 am by Ivek23 »
Ivek23
Win 10 64bit (32bit)   PVD v0.9.9.21, PVD v1.0.2.7, PVD v1.0.2.7 + MOD

Offline minolotus

• User
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2011, 04:24:29 pm »
And since PVD could easily import MC sidecar data, MC would serve a front end for the Rovi data it would not otherwise have access to.

Ok, right. I did not know that as I do not use sidecar files.

I just discovered that they have added some further information to the website: run time, release date and characteristics (http://gsfn.us/t/2aiez). The item mentioned last should comprise the former fields themes, moods and keywords. This is from my point of view not a really good idea. Characteristics may be useful to get a quick impression about a movie but as there will be a lot of different characteristics it will not be possible to use them as search or sorting criteria. Especially moods - together with genre - have been a really good combination to find movies I want to watch. I do not see that this could also be accomplished with characteristics.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2011, 05:18:39 pm by minolotus »

Offline Ivek23

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2011, 04:47:30 pm »
AllRovi policy to end users, we feel that they just negligence, If users no longer use their site with movies and other data

I just wanted to say that in AllRovi and their policy only see that they do not care
 or not care about this, or users continued to be used their movies and other information or will users prefer to turn for information on similar pages.
Ivek23

Offline darichman

• User
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2011, 08:06:33 am »
In relation to metadata lookup from JRMC, there are probably two points worth mentioning:

1) 5 or 6 few years ago an MC user generated a plugin to scrape music data from allmusic. This became quite popular was was pretty effective. After about a year allmusic send a cease and desist notification to the guy who developed the plugin and he pulled it (I know I would too)

2) Maybe 2 or 3 years ago, JimH mentioned they'd contacted the allmusic/allmovie people (I'm not sure if it was for music or movies) about implementing in MC. There wasn't a whole lot in the way of details, but the impression was that the asking price was a bit too high.

Personally, I'd love to see it. I'd pay a fair bit too :)

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2011, 08:22:56 pm »
Scraping is an interesting issue. I wouldn't have been surprised if they had objected to nostra's script. He accepts donations, so that might have been construed as an indirect commercial exploitation of their property. They had no basis for objecting to my script, however. It's just a modification of nostra's, but it's for my personal use. If they have some objection to how end users use their site, they can probably block those patterns of use, but they can't object to how users choose to access publicly available web pages.

End users are not Rovi customers. It seems small operations (like J. River) aren't either. Their customers are larger enterprises capable of generating enough revenue from the data to pay them well. They've also proven themselves rather inept in dealing with end users. While most appreciate the Allmovie and Allmusic sites for the richness of data, they were/are technological dinosaurs compared to other similar sites. The new AllRovi site isn't any better. It seems they don't have the expertise to do even basic things like build a search function that works, or the imagination to find creative ways to engage users. It makes me wonder if their real agenda is to create the demand that will attract a new customer—someone who knows how to create and run an effective website they can license the data to.

Offline Ivek23

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2011, 09:06:13 pm »
I think it's really all in the same direction as the above mentioned Rick.ca.
I also see on their forum that they actually almost everything you might what they think and suggest users, since response is practically zeros or very slow, I also see in their post to their forum, because the last three or four post, I am waiting for a response for at least the day or more days.
Ivek23

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2011, 11:13:46 pm »
My theory would suggest "Zac" is the only employee assigned to keep AllRovi.com running. Not only is he busy, he knows if he asks for additional resources to make the changes users are asking for—he'll be fired. ;)

Offline Ivek23

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2011, 05:16:45 am »
My theory would suggest "Zac" is the only employee assigned to keep AllRovi.com running. Not only is he busy, he knows if he asks for additional resources to make the changes users are asking for—he'll be fired.

Would not have nothing against if they fired  him and that such a misery as it is now the AllRovi.com that would also close, at which these changes we now also appears to have very poor taste, without any to do it and very stupid.
If you really need to recast what could be renovated and improved the AllMovie, Allmusic and AllGame, but a leader in ROVI Indeed, some have come to such a crazy idea, but let's do this, but no matter how users will react, but we'll see what happens will work in worst case a new page can be closed.
Ivek23

Offline Ivek23

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 05, 2011, 08:28:48 am »
Somewhere I got the information that AllRovi is a commercial database and regular users but can not get to a commercial database if so do not pay for services, so I will be very disappointed say goodbye (of course, except if it comes up with some surprising changes) to be any thought about that you can use a plugin or script yet transferred any other information with AllRovi.com, except of course the manual method of copying data, which is of course very time-consuming for a large number of data to be copied.
Ivek23

Offline Starbanker

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2011, 06:49:12 pm »
I only used Allmovie for Ratings and Description. IMDB does a fantastic job at everything but Description. I now default my Description to MovieDB which does a fair job.

Offline Ivek23

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2011, 08:49:18 am »
Notice:

Since yesterday AllMovie.com Old Links such as these http://www.allmovie.com/work/10-things-i-hate-about-you-177526http://www.allmovie.com/work/100-girls-249188  and the rest are corrupt(broken) - redirect links does not work.

So far, we can now obtain information on new AllRovi.com only via Web searches, and this title:http://www.allrovi.com/search/movies/%s%u  in PVD Web Search.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 12:52:27 pm by Ivek23 »
Ivek23

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2011, 10:09:33 am »
I notice you reported this to Rovi. I did as well. Unless they're complete morons, it should be fixed soon. :-\

Offline Ivek23

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2011, 12:50:08 pm »
Unless they're complete morons

Rick.ca, I agree with you on this above.
Ivek23

Offline Ivek23

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 20, 2011, 08:25:44 pm »
it should be fixed soon

He had just been arranged (corrected) and link redirection works again.
Ivek23

Offline Ivek23

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 07, 2011, 08:51:55 am »
Now you have to AllRovi web pages have been only some changes (have, but very slowly):

- The movie title now they added the movie year
- They added the category
- They also Your rating window and add to this window also Average rating
Ivek23

Offline Ivek23

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 08, 2011, 04:03:56 pm »
Yes, AllMovie has been replaced by AllRovi. I think we're screwed. Although the content is the same, it appears a lot of it (e.g., keywords, themes, tones, moods, etc.) has been dropped. Although the page designs are similar, it seems things have been changed enough our scripts will require complete rewrites.

Too bad that this happened.

I have no idea how and what to do for any old script that I have.

I understand. I have very little confidence I could modify my AllMovie+ script. There doesn't seem to be any point in trying. It's purpose was to get additional data the original script did not. Most of that additional information is now gone. At a glance, the only useful data left are the Synopsis and Review. I'll just have to hope nostra finds time to rewrite the original script so I can at least get those.

I experimented a little with the old AllMovie script and changed some things and I've come so far that we transfer certain data from AllRovi.com, but only when I enter manually (copy) url address. Procedure Parse Searchresults it works, but it does not transfer data info, the script is working, but I think that the problem with BASE_URL.
The script I am certain categories of work for me, but when certain data is transferred into a custom field.
Add it AllRovi script for those who will now perhaps test it, easier to identify and correct the script to should also work correctly.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Ivek23

anything