Author Topic: FanArt  (Read 5007 times)

Offline junk_struc

• User
    • View Profile
FanArt
« on: May 10, 2011, 01:56:16 pm »

Was curious if anyone collects fanart from themoviedb.org or thetvdb.org with pvd?  Is this possible with pvd automagically? 

I am not too fussy about what image I get for most of the movies so something quite automatic would be best.  Obviously, if something exists that gives me choices for some series or movies I care about would be good, but a silent mode would be best for most.

I am not in a rush at the moment as I use Jriver MediaCenter and it doesn't let me use them easily at the moment so curious if it is something in the pipeline for pvd. 

Do I need to step outside pvd temporarily for this task (thinking that with the imdb address I have a good starting point).  Should I instead try to modify the existing scripts (not sure if I am up to the task)?

Thanks
Craig

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
  • "I'm willing to shoot you!"
    • View Profile
Re: FanArt
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2011, 08:45:05 pm »
I don't recall why, but neither plugin will download art, despite it being available via the API and there being a "Download images" option in their configurations. And they're plugins, not scripts, so this is not something you can modify.

Other than downloading a backdrop of the cast for a series (for reference), I haven't been very interested—because MC hasn't had the ability to display them. But for series, now it does. And it downloads and displays the backdrops automatically, so there's no need to use PVD to collect them. Hopefully, they'll do the same for movies soon.

Neither PVD or MC will get episode images. I've been relying on automatic screen shots for that. I set it for 12 or 16 shots, then manually set one as the poster and delete the rest. It only takes half a minute, but it's tedious.

Despite the fact my process for handling episodes is largely automated, I'm finding the bits that aren't somewhat tedious. I have to rename the files my torrent client downloads, run the file scanner to get them into PVD, and then find them in PVD to pick a screen shot for a poster. So I'm testing NEW: MC16 and Sick Beard Integration. It's not the easiest thing to understand, but so far (only two days) it seems to be an effective solution. It finds and downloads torrents, which my torrent client sees and automatically downloads the files. Sick Beard, which has already downloaded all the meta data and images, renames and moves the files when the downloads are complete.

Offline junk_struc

• User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2011, 01:22:01 pm »

does anyone know if there any plans for pvd to get fanart in the pipeline?

following not pvdrelated...
Thanks rick.  Hoping that MC will do something a bit more substantial with Movie and series backdrops soon so was getting ready to get some fanart.  The automatic downloading works ok but I hope they implement in a manner similar to artist images, i.e. a directory and place for the images.  Why they didn't just do the same thing for all movies and tvseries is beyond me (similar issues on many fronts hence the please slow down and finish what you started thread). 

I dipped my toe into xbmc again and one of the views had some fan art and it looked great.

Please keep posting about how you go with sickbeard.  It would be good to avoid the tedium or renaming that it is nice to know others also go through.  I did download it but haven't done too much with it yet.

Craig

Offline nostra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Personal Video Database
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2011, 08:33:29 pm »
I have plans for fanart, but I am not sure yet when...
Gentlemen, you can’t fight in here! This is the War Room!

anything