Author Topic: connecting database file to specific skin...  (Read 6104 times)

Offline katleeh

• User
    • View Profile
connecting database file to specific skin...
« on: May 25, 2011, 11:49:49 pm »
It occurred to me the other day that having a specific skin load as default when certain databases are loaded would be a handy feature. After all, I have seperate databases for lots of things and would view each one using a different skin. Likewise there should be a way to attach specific custom fields to a database.

This would seem like the easy method: have pvd start a new data file which would store information specific for each database such as the skin used, custtom fields, etc.

- katleeh

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
  • "I'm willing to shoot you!"
    • View Profile
Re: connecting database file to specific skin...
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2011, 12:27:06 am »
Custom fields are not an issue—they're created and saved in the database. Settings (like the skins to use) are saved in pvdconf.ini. Two versions of that may be used by running one in Portable Mode. Doing so forces the program to use a configuration file found in the Installation folder instead of the Application Data folder. If you need more than two different configurations, use multiple installations (each one in portable mode).

Offline katleeh

• User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2011, 12:48:59 am »
Um, rick.ca that's a little to much to have to do just to use a different skin. Having to reinstall a program each time I want to use a different skin sounds confusing at best.

- katleeh

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
  • "I'm willing to shoot you!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2011, 07:20:58 am »
Having to reinstall a program each time I want to use a different skin sounds confusing at best.

It sure does! But I didn't say anything remotely suggesting that. You can have any number of independent PVD installations—as long as they're all used in portable mode only.

Offline nostra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Personal Video Database
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2011, 07:39:35 pm »
You can make a copy of the configuration file with the same name as the database file and it will be loaded automatically when you change the database.
Gentlemen, you can’t fight in here! This is the War Room!

Offline katleeh

• User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2011, 11:09:48 pm »
Thank you, Nostra, that's exactly what I was talking about.

- katleeh

anything