Author Topic: Can't Get Episodes To Show Up Under Actors' Information  (Read 5115 times)

Offline katleeh

• User
    • View Profile
Can't Get Episodes To Show Up Under Actors' Information
« on: June 07, 2011, 07:33:49 pm »
Does anyone have a clue how to get the episodes of series and such to show up under the actors' and actresses' information? So far nothing I've done gets this to work. Even trying the hyperlink feature produces no results (in that the hyperlink won't go anywhere).

- Katleeh

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
  • "I'm willing to shoot you!"
    • View Profile
Re: Can't Get Episodes To Show Up Under Actors' Information
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2011, 08:11:41 pm »
Items are added to a person's filmography by plugins, or manually by right-clicking somewhere in the filmography and completing the Add record dialog.

Offline katleeh

• User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2011, 09:01:38 pm »
So I right-clicked on the area for that, clicked on "Actor" to add that section, then after that clicked on "Add Movie"... but its only allowing me to add movies to the list, not episodes.

- Katleeh

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2011, 12:02:57 am »
That's right—the link is to the series record, not specific episodes. Most data sources do not have that information.

Offline katleeh

• User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2011, 12:16:43 am »
I'm actually entering the data manually. Right now its a matter of trying to link the information together. So far this is proving a most daunting task.

So what you are saying is there's no way to link to the episodes themselves?

- katleeh

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2011, 05:16:28 am »
Unless the collection is small and episode and people records are all of high value, entering data manually is probably not practical or sustainable. Is there a download source for the data? If so, does it associate actors with specific episodes? If the actors are recorded in the episode records and associated with the series record (normally, they would be), I would question the need to add links to an actor's record for every episode they appear in.

If the actor had been added to the series record, then that series appears in their filmography. If you want to see the individual episodes that actor is associated with, use the filmography link to the series record. Once there, right-click on the actor's name and select Show only movies with actor = [Actor]. Movie View with then provide you with a complete list of all series, episodes and movies the actor has appeared in (that are in the collection), and instant access to the individual records. It will remain in that state (i.e., the search set) if you need to switch back and forth between this view and the person's record.

Even if this is something you are willing and have to do manually, this method of associating people with specific episodes will still be the easiest. Just enter people directly to the episode records. Ensure they're also listed in the series record—so the series will appear in their filmography.