Author Topic: Use Dropbox to export to a public webpage, for FREE!  (Read 5358 times)

Offline sav25

• View Profile
Use Dropbox to export to a public webpage, for FREE!
« on: November 29, 2012, 10:44:29 pm »
Hi all

So I found a really easy way to get your dvd library 'online'. Real easy!

Export your library using 'HTML Frames'. You'll get a folder full of files, and a separate file next to it. Lets call this separate file the 'website file'.

Get a free Dropbox account

Create a 'public' folder in Dropbox (Google this - easy stuff)

Drop your HTML export files into your Dropbox public folder (either via the Dropbox website, or by simply putting it into your PCs dropbox (public) folder

Copy the public address of the separate 'website file' - THIS is your web address. It's not fancy but hey it's free.

Paste the address in your browser and hey presto you have an online library database.

I use this for my dad so he can see what films I have in case he wants to borrow one. To update the library (and keep the same web address), export your library again (USING THE SAME NAME) to a different temporary folder. Delete the existing folder out of your dropbox public folder, but not the website file. Copy the temp export files into your dropbox public folder and click 'replace' when it tells you that the website file already exists. There might be an easier way but that works for me.

You can edit the 'Main' and 'Frame' CSS files in (C:\Program Files (x86)\Personal Video Database\Plugins\Templates\frames) if you want to change the standard colour scheme or other elements. I went for a dark grey with lighter grey boxes.

Hope that helps - comment if you need any help with this, but it's pretty easy.

Rich

Offline sav25

• View Profile
Re: Use Dropbox to export to a public webpage, for FREE!
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2012, 10:45:37 pm »
Now, if anyone know how to edit the fields that come up on the movie info box - that would be helpful. I'm sure it's all within the .ptm files in the folder system, but I have no idea what to use to edit them.

Cheers

Offline sav25

• View Profile
Re: Use Dropbox to export to a public webpage, for FREE!
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2012, 10:56:47 pm »
I feel stupid now - I just opened the .ptm files with notepad, changed a few lines (things like removing the comments and duration fields) and saved it - it was that easy!

anything