Author Topic: Overwrite fields problem with imdb plugin.  (Read 4031 times)

Offline ouafouaf

• View Profile
Overwrite fields problem with imdb plugin.
« on: August 23, 2011, 12:29:28 pm »
Hello. I have had a problem for some time with the imdb plugin:
when I want to update infos for a film already in my database, I don't want the program to change some fields. I use the "overwrite fields" checkboxes in the configuration, and it works nicely with most fields if I want them updated or not, but it doesn't work with the main "TITLE" field. In my collection, a lot of films have that field empty, and I only use the ORIGINAL TITLE field. When the TITLE field is empty, the imdb plugin always fill it, even when the TITLE overwrite checkbox is unchecked.
Any solution ?

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
  • "I'm willing to shoot you!"
    • View Profile
Re: Overwrite fields problem with imdb plugin.
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2011, 07:12:17 pm »
No, there's no solution. It's not the plugin, it's the program, and it's by design. [Title] is used as the key field for the record. It's used to relate other records in the database to the record. It's intended to be whatever you want it to be, but will default to [Original title] if one is not provided. [Original title] is not shown if [Title] is the same.

Look at it this way. [Title] is the name by which you, for whatever reason, refer to the movie. It must have a value, as you cannot refer to a movie as "blank." [Original title] is the name given to the movie by the producers. It always exists and should be recorded in the database, but is not essential—because there will always be a [Title]. And if that is the same as [Title], it will be hidden.