Author Topic: Running PVD in Linux Using Wine  (Read 5775 times)

Offline bs909

• View Profile
Running PVD in Linux Using Wine
« on: September 01, 2011, 03:47:32 am »
I have read an old post that mentioned running PVD on Linux using Wine.  I myself have been making the switch to Linux.  I am running PVD 0.9.9.21 and am using Ubuntu 11.04.  Using Wine, I can install, run, and load my database just fine.  I can also add new movies and cover images just fine.  However, it seems that when I try to run "Play" right from PVD, nothing seems to happen and the video file never opens the media player.  I've also set Wine to emulate Windows 98 with no luck from that change (even after a reboot).  I know the file is mapped correctly because I set up a new movie entry and selected the file.

Any ideas what might cause this or insight if any of you have gotten this to work?

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
  • "I'm willing to shoot you!"
    • View Profile
Re: Running PVD in Linux Using Wine
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2011, 06:46:28 am »
In Windows, the file is just being "opened" using the Windows file associations. So playing a file from PVD is exactly the same thing as playing from Explorer—by double-clicking the file. How does the same thing done in Wine?

Offline bs909

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2011, 02:19:25 am »
I'm guessing from reading that Wine, by default, doesn't know what to do when commanded to open a movie file.  I'm trying to figure out how to do this but am having a lot of trouble.  I guess it has nothing to do with PVD, but if anyone knows how to do this, I'd really appreciate the help.

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
  • "I'm willing to shoot you!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2011, 03:00:37 am »
I guess it has nothing to do with PVD, but if anyone knows how to do this, I'd really appreciate the help.

Not only do I know nothing, I have a hard time understanding why people want to do this to themselves. But would it help to consider that file association in Wine must be different and more complex than it is in Windows or Linux? Somehow, it must be able to associate file types with applications in either OS...I hope your head doesn't explode. ;D