Author Topic: Having some trouble getting started...  (Read 5816 times)

Offline ~Maxx

• View Profile
Having some trouble getting started...
« on: November 01, 2011, 03:40:23 pm »
Hi folks.  I wonder if I might be able to get a few pointers getting started here.  I think I'm lacking some groundwork that the Wiki/manual doesn't (yet) cover.  I'm using v0.9.9.21 on a WinXP SP3 machine.

What I'm having trouble with (and I hope I haven't misunderstood the capabilities of PVD) is getting the software to query IMDB (or anything else) for the details I want.  I do get the main cover art.  But when the movies are added to the database the only fields that are filled in are the title, artwork (only the main image), and whatever info it pulls from the disc itself.  Everything else is left blank.  Surely I'm not required to fill in all of the remaining fields manually?

Any pointers here would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
  • "I'm willing to shoot you!"
    • View Profile
Re: Having some trouble getting started...
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2011, 09:31:57 pm »
Welcome to the forum.

Are you using the current version of the IMDb plugin? Do Help > Check for updates.

Have you configured the plugin at Preferences > Plugins? Select the plugin and Configure. Also set Overwrite fields > All (or at least make sure the fields you want are checked).

Offline ~Maxx

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2011, 12:20:52 am »
Thanks a bunch Rick.  Updating seems to have worked for getting the missing fields filled in.  But now I'm getting an error, and the DVD disc info is not populating.  All I'm getting is the file path and duration.  The error report states "exception # 4", "class - EPSException", and "message - Out Of Range."

I'm also wondering about the first dialog pop up when you use the "New Movie Master" button.  What exactly are the buttons along the right side effecting?  I noticed that before I updated the bottom button read "no plugin", and after updating it now reads as shown in the attached screenshot. 

Hope I'm not being a pest.  I'm really looking forward to getting to know this software.  Thanks again.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline sihyp

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2011, 12:36:47 am »
Instead of Movie Master (Ctrl+M) I use (Ctrl+N) to add a new movie.

1) Write something in Original Title. No need to be the exact title name; it will be overwritten by step 4.
2) Copy the address from IMDB and paste to URL field in PVD (i.e. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0043014/)
3) Press Enter key.
4) Press Ctrl+Alt+I to get IMDB's data information.
5) Go to Import and get cover from Amazon or from other you prefer.
6) File Path: browse to the directory where movie is and select the folder name. In case of DVDs is enough, I think.

Maybe it seems too much work. Believe it isn't and you are sure all data is accurate.

Offline greenspace

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2011, 07:09:22 am »
I'm having trouble importing any movie details at all from imdb. not sure if it's a problem with imdb, with pvd, or my user error.

It'd be really great if the Manual actually covered Using New Movie Master and/or Adding New Movie, instead of assuming that users are importing data from an existing file.

sihyp, when you said "copy the address from IMDB and paste to URL field in PVD", do you mean the field below the MPAA rating in the pvd  input form, or the Web Search field at the top of the page?

thanks
Deborah

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
  • "I'm willing to shoot you!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2011, 08:02:55 am »
It'd be really great if the Manual actually covered Using New Movie Master and/or Adding New Movie, instead of assuming that users are importing data from an existing file.

As you might have noticed from the Table of Contents, the manual has not progressed that far. Since I've no time for it, we'll let you write the next chapter once you've figured this out... ;)

I'm having trouble importing any movie details at all from imdb. not sure if it's a problem with imdb, with pvd, or my user error.

AFAICT, the program and plugin work fine. Please describe exactly what you're doing and what's happening (or not happening).