Author Topic: Option for a checkbox next to each title in the list  (Read 5007 times)

Offline Data1001

• User
    • View Profile
Option for a checkbox next to each title in the list
« on: January 21, 2012, 07:53:32 am »
I've been encountering situations where I need to select a number of titles, and it's beyond what I'm able to do with filters and searches.

For example, tonight I needed to locate all titles with an IMDb URL that were added in the past 3 days, but did not have poster/cover art, did not have anything already in the "description" field, and weren't TV shows. So I used CTRL+select for this purpose, but frankly I get nervous when I start doing that with 100+ titles, since I'm always afraid I'll accidentally click somewhere without the CTRL key pressed, and erase all my selections.

What I was thinking was that a checkbox (or some other method of temporarily "marking" the title entries) would allow me to easily go through the database (whether it was filtered or unfiltered) and select whatever titles which happened to match my particular needs, and then be able to perform any action on those titles as if they were selected in the normal manner.

Such a feature would ideally also have an "inverse select" and of course a "clear all selections" option, as well.

Thank you again!

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
  • "I'm willing to shoot you!"
    • View Profile
Re: Option for a checkbox next to each title in the list
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2012, 09:38:07 am »
Using Advanced Search along with Filters will take care of most such searches. If it becomes more convenient to flag items than fine-tune the search, the first tool to use would be Bookmarks—which you can then filter. If that's still not enough, you can always add a custom field (there's even a checkbox type) to serve as a flag. In version 1, the Editor works with multiple records and all fields, providing the means to bulk set and clear any field used as a flag.

Offline Data1001

• User
    • View Profile
Re: Option for a checkbox next to each title in the list
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2012, 09:55:18 am »
Ah, Bookmarks! I've never done a thing with them before, but they'll work just fine.

There are so many capabilities and features within PVD, I guess I shouldn't be surprised that I discover new things after over 2 years of using the program, but it's nice when one of them already exists to fill I need I was having!

Yeah, believe me, I tried the advanced search and filters and even in congress with grouping. Part of it was that some of the advanced search conditions didn't seem to be working properly for me, or probably more likely, I wasn't setting them up properly. No worries, in the end it was just far easier to select as I went -- but the bookmarking feature will cut down on my anxiety about accidentally unselecting everything.  ;)

anything