Author Topic: Saving and updating PVD file?  (Read 4514 times)

Offline Dawn

• View Profile
Saving and updating PVD file?
« on: January 22, 2012, 12:57:13 pm »
Okay so I'm just paranoid about keeping my PVD (personal video database) file safe.. I've reached 648 movies now, and my version is 0.9.9.21.

I've been using 'save as' and 'backup' every time I'm finished using it. And I've got multiple copies of the actual saved file and the backup file. So does this mean that if my hard drive got accidentally wiped, would I be able to re-install PVD and use an old backup file to get my collection back with 'restore'?

And if there is a major update for PVD, will that affect my collection? Do I need to restore old backup files when a new version of the program is released?

Last question, will we still be able to use PVD in 10 years from now? Do you think updates will still be being made, or the program will just be complete and free to use forever? I really like it, and I'll probably reach over 700 movies.. which I'm planning on adding to as I grow up. So like I said, I'm paranoid because I don't want to lose all of this. xD Thanks for anyone who can answer all my questions!
Fall seven times, stand up eight.

Offline Data1001

• User
    • View Profile
Re: Saving and updating PVD file?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2012, 02:45:24 pm »
will we still be able to use PVD in 10 years from now? ... like I said, I'm paranoid because I don't want to lose all of this. xD

It's a legitimate concern. I've used two previous movie database programs -- one of them was back in the days of DOS, and I lost all my entries due to a bad floppy disk (boy, I'm really dating myself here!  ;) ), and the other program's author stopped updating it entirely and it basically quit being useful. In the latter case, it was a proprietary format, and so I pretty much lost all the entries I'd made there, too -- although I did print the whole thing out on paper once.

The good thing about PVD -- aside from it being a free program -- is that Nostra, the author of the application, has been very "hands-on" in responding to feedback, and keeping the program operating as well as can be expected. There's also very quick responses to queries and issues here in the forum.

And you can currently export the database to a CSV file or HTML file, for instance, saving much of the data that way, so that should negate any worries about potentially losing access to your movie info. I'm sure others with much more knowledge than I have will chime in, as well.

Have fun!

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
  • "I'm willing to shoot you!"
    • View Profile
Re: Saving and updating PVD file?
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2012, 11:25:21 pm »
Last question, will we still be able to use PVD in 10 years from now?

According to this, nostra did not predict the end of the world in 2112, so it's a good question. I'm sure he would tell use if he knows that will happen in the next ten years. Also, I'm sure the source code is impeccably documented and left in his will to the open source community. We will, of course, be very upset if he gets hit by a bus, but life will go on. ;D

I've been using 'save as' and 'backup' every time I'm finished using it. And I've got multiple copies of the actual saved file and the backup file. So does this mean that if my hard drive got accidentally wiped, would I be able to re-install PVD and use an old backup file to get my collection back with 'restore'?

I think the backup feature exists only because people expect it. Save as is faster and equally effective. If your backups are just copies of the database, you're not dependent on the program to Restore them. I prefer to simply copy the database using my file manager. That can be done even if the database is open in PVD, and I can see exactly what I'm doing (e.g., what backup copies I already have).

Backup copies provide effective protection and speedy recovery from problems caused by the program or user error. But they're only the first line of defence. If saved locally, they offer no protection from drive failure or any other risk data on your HDD faces (e.g., being corrupted by a virus, accidental deletion, reformatting, etc.). The best protection from those risks is to use some sort of backup routine that automatically backs up all critical data to external media. Windows 7 includes a simple backup utility. That will protect the data from all risks, including the biggest one—that you will surely neglect or forget to make a copy the one time you really needed to. Or the second biggest risk—that when something goes wrong and corrupts your database, the first thing you will do is open your backup with the program and corrupt it too! ;)

And if there is a major update for PVD, will that affect my collection?

A major update (like from 0.9 to 1.0) normally includes changes to the structure of the database. The older version will not be able to read a database created by the newer version. The new version, however, will have the ability to read and convert the old format.