Author Topic: Skin questions again  (Read 4665 times)

Offline Melmoth

• User
    • View Profile
Skin questions again
« on: February 19, 2012, 01:12:04 am »
Hi everybody.

Since I had the mad idea to create my own skin some general and some specific questions concerning skins popped up:

1. Is it possible to crash PVD with a buggy or erroneous skin, corrupt the installation or even chip the database? I think I managed several times to do so… I switched to my skin and had to refresh manually just to receive a crash report, but after hitting “continue app” I could use my skin. However, every time I opened “settings” PVD crashed again … until it stopped working at all (toolbar got emptied, movie list turned black) and I had to re-install. It always complained about
Code: [Select]
disassembling:
[...]
007a6a23       mov     eax, [ebp-8]
007a6a26       mov     ecx, [eax]
007a6a28       call    dword ptr [ecx+$3c]
007a6a2b       lea     edx, [ebp-$b4]
007a6a31       lea     eax, [ebp-$a4]
007a6a37     > call    -$31f018 ($487a24)     ; Variants.@VarToUStr
007a6a3c       mov     edx, [ebp-$a4]
007a6a42       mov     eax, [ebx+$2a4]
007a6a48       call    -$253e21 ($552c2c)     ; Controls.TControl.SetText
007a6a4d 110   lea     edx, [ebp-$c4]
007a6a53       mov     eax, [ebp-4]
[...]

Once it even ate all my posters and I had to fall back to a backup to get them out again.
Oh, it all happened on a Win7 machine, x32 and x64, almost forgot.

2. Are there known issues with custom fields spread all over the skin?

3. How can I prevent an unfilled field from collapsing? If the field “origtitle” is not populated (because it is the same as the title) it ‘collapses’ and the column from the right takes its place… Or how can I switch “origtitle” to ‘permanent display mode’?

4. Does it get harder to display the skin if there are lots of blank lines and comments in it?

Thanks!

Offline minolotus

• User
    • View Profile
Re: Skin questions again
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 02:28:15 am »
3. How can I prevent an unfilled field from collapsing? If the field “origtitle” is not populated (because it is the same as the title) it ‘collapses’ and the column from the right takes its place… Or how can I switch “origtitle” to ‘permanent display mode’?

You can use
Code: [Select]
permanent="true".

2. Are there known issues with custom fields spread all over the skin?

My  skin includes 15 custom fields spread all over the skin and I didn't discover any problems.