Author Topic: Posters - re-importing after moving poster folder and making changes to the DB  (Read 7405 times)

Offline chase

• User
    • View Profile
I have been hand inputing all my videos thus far till i can figure out how to set up PVD to scan them the way I want and label them accordingly.

I tried an experiment to see if it would work - well it didn't. No biggy. However in doing so it took all the posters and resaved them outside the folder i had set up for it. I have it saving all posters to the each data base in a seperate folder for that data base. ie: DB XYZ had a folder PVD created with a folder labeled "posters" inside.

When trying this experiment - it resaved them all in the main PVD folder in my documents. I deleted the newly created db and all the new images - reopened my backup db for xyz and none of the posters were there.
They were in the folder - just not showing in PVD.

Is there a way to bring them back in with out having to go through and hand input them again? Which is what i did the first time around.

Is it possible to rescan the poster folder and have PVD bring them back into the correct movie file or is all lost and must be hand input again?

thanx

- chase -

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
  • "I'm willing to shoot you!"
    • View Profile
If I understand you correctly, you put everything back the way it was, and restored a backup. The only reason I can think of why that wouldn't work is the image folder location is saved in the configuration file. Look in pvdconf.ini (in your application data folder) to see if that's the case. If so, with the program closed, change it to what it should be and then restart the program.

Unless you're using the the same images in multiple programs, you should set the option at Preferences > Miscellaneous to save them in the database. They'll be much safer there.

Offline chase

• User
    • View Profile
Thanx Rick  and yes you understood that correctly.

I'll give a look see at the .ini file tonite and get back to you.

Offline chase

• User
    • View Profile
There is no pvdconfig.ini file. I looked on the whole drive and as well as the application data folder.

I think there is a config file of some kind but not labeled as you stated.

I'll double check tonight - but i searched as stated - three times.

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Sorry, the name is pvdconf.ini. ::)

[Edit:] I must be losing my mind. That's what I said in the first place. I often call it pvdconfig.ini myself, and assumed I did again. :-[
« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 01:31:24 am by rick.ca »

Offline chase

• User
    • View Profile
Found it in the Portable Version of PVD.

I installed it this morning on my usb and there it was in the data folder.

Are you running the portable version on your main HD by chance? or are all your PVD/PAD's on usb?

I've run portables on drives other than my main before with out problems. May have even run one or two on my main drive with out issue. I've heard there can be issues with portables running on the main drive though, and why I ask.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 10:17:59 pm by chase »

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
I've heard there can be issues with portables running on the main drive though, and why I ask.

There are no issues I'm aware of. It can be run anywhere. That's what 'portable' means.

I installed it this morning on my usb and there it was in the data folder.

The fact you found a configuration file means nothing. If the program doesn't find one, it creates a default one. This does suggest to me, however, what might be different about the 'portable version'. It saves the configuration file (and probably the database) in a 'Data' sub-folder—likely to comply with USB-stick installation requirements. The regular version of the program just uses the root installation folder.

Are you running the portable version on your main HD by chance?

I use the latest beta for everyday use. I run 0.9.9 in portable mode for support purposes and for my music album database, both of which must be kept separate from each other and the beta version. All are HDD installations.

Offline chase

• User
    • View Profile
Found and fixed the problem over the week-end when i had some time to spend with it.

With out going into all the steps - my little experiment definitly screwed it up. It was no fault of PVD.

Now I find the pvdconfig.ini file you are refering to -> In Application Data\Portable Video Database folder.

When searching the drive it also picks it up...

And now when i do a restore to the Database - all my images are back in place.

But it did give me a chance to look closer at PVD.
And I found that "Portable Switch" you refered to  - the "protable.batch" file

Now we're on the same page on this and i understand better... that and I got a chance to read your Getting Started page in the Help section - the page i was missing explained all very cleary. - figures ;-)

I will say though I found the download that actually says portable - scans better... don't know why but it picked up multi dvd's that the first one didn't and put them under the apporriate eppisodes. Though it didn't include an episode title.

I find the rescan has some issues. but no matter - I pretty happy with it.

Thanx for the help rick and the help page...! :)