Author Topic: Seen button is it posible to add more buttons for this?  (Read 10397 times)

Offline Markk

• View Profile
Seen button is it posible to add more buttons for this?
« on: May 24, 2012, 12:27:46 pm »
Having Multiple Seen buttons for more than 1 person
As PVD is a great tool not only for cataloging dvd's but for all media content

Ive seen say 1/2 the movies my wife has brought and she seen like 1/3 of the ones I got and not to mention the TV series and other junk we have collected over the years
Since we are sharing a database so its much easier to manage, once someone has clicked Seen that's it ... who has seen it? me, wife, kids? cat?

So having the option of multiple Seen buttons with Multiple color coding would be awesome.

Offline nostra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Personal Video Database
Re: Seen button is it posible to add more buttons for this?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2012, 06:03:17 pm »
No, but You can create additional custom field for each person.
Gentlemen, you can’t fight in here! This is the War Room!

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
  • "I'm willing to shoot you!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2012, 09:57:59 pm »
And using custom fields, there's really no limit to what you can do. They won't be integrated as the standard [Seen], [Seen date] and filter are, but that probably wouldn't be practical anyway. Consider this...

Use the stock [Seen], [Seen date], [Rating] and [Comment] fields for recording the last viewing, regardless of who did the viewing. But you have a set of custom fields (the same one's) for each family member. You're probably joking about the cat, but you might want to include another set for guests (using the comment field to record who they were). The kids may not be interested in rating what they see, but willing to 'like' a movie. If so, give them a boolean [Like] instead of a [Rating]. Since some movies will be watched more than once, include a [Seen previously] boolean and record any available details (i.e., date, rating, with whom) in the person's [Comment].

This may sound like a nightmare to maintain, but it doesn't need to be. All of these fields would be presented in a separate section or tab of the skin as a table. The standard fields are going to be used in the usual way. The primary role of the custom fields will be to answer your question: Who saw the movie on [Seen date]? That doesn't get easier than ticking the [Seen] checkboxes for those people. A person's [Seen date] and [Rating] would only be used if that information differs from that recorded in the standard fields. [Seen date] could be left at a previously recorded value for a person, while the corresponding [Seen] flag is used to indicate if they attended the current viewing. All of the user fields could be set to be hidden if empty.

To get things started, I imagine you would just do the best you can to select the movies each person has seen, and set their [Seen] using the mass editor. If you happen to have some other kind of historical record (e.g., dates movies were seen or acquired), that could be imported. You might find it easier to add another field to record where a movie came from—you, your wife, a joint purchase, gift, etc. All this would require some work (mainly in creating or customizing a skin to accommodate the custom fields), but the result will be exactly what you need, and therefore much better than any additional feature could provide.

Offline Ivek23

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2012, 06:59:23 am »
Here is what Rick mentioned in a comment above, is a very good idea and would be very nice if you could come true. For me this would be very handy, perhaps also to many other users, which use PVD.

Thanks in advance if this will happen.
Ivek23
Win 10 64bit (32bit)   PVD v0.9.9.21, PVD v1.0.2.7, PVD v1.0.2.7 + MOD

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2012, 07:41:22 am »
Here is what Rick mentioned in a comment above, is a very good idea and would be very nice if you could come true. For me this would be very handy, perhaps also to many other users, which use PVD.

I don't understand. I was explaining what can be done now—without any changes.

Offline Ivek23

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2012, 11:50:47 am »

I don't understand. I was explaining what can be done now—without any changes.

I'm sorry, Rick, I misunderstood your comment (unfortunately, I did not use gTranslate for translation of your comment).
Ivek23

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2012, 12:30:44 pm »
To je v redu. Angleški bralci me ne razumejo niti. ;)

Offline Ivek23

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2012, 01:32:54 pm »
To je v redu. Angleški bralci me ne razumejo niti.

Thanks.
Ivek23

Offline Markk

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2012, 10:43:24 am »
Thanks rick.ca

I kinda understand where your coming from and how this will work very well for me.  But...
1) I have 0 understanding on how implement this
2) XML is new to me - but fumbling around and figuring it out slowly

Although I have basic programming and database knowledge I understand the theory but don't know how to start or implement
I have found a XML Editor and a current skin which will work (once I add the relevant information)

I just need help like a single example of what you saying would be great hot to add / define a custom field to use (with a boolean example would be great)

as about the only thing I can currently figure is how to move the comment in the xml skin and use that... ;(

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2012, 10:12:41 pm »
One step at a time. ;)

Forget about the skin for now. The default skin will display all custom fields in a special section automatically. Use that until you're comfortable with the fields you've chosen to use, decided what you're going to record in them and how your routine for updating them will work. You'll then be in a much better position to decide how you would like them to appear in the skin. Designing and modifying a skin can be very tedious work even when you know what you're doing. It helps a lot to know exactly what you're trying to do.

Adding custom fields, on the other hand, is very easy and flexible. Just go to Preferences > Movies > Custom and add whatever you want. Until you have fields with data in them, it's very difficult to do any harm. Fields can be added, renamed and (within limits) have their type changed. If you change your mind, just delete the field. So experiment and get it right before you spend a lot of time collecting data and/or designing a skin for fields that are likely to be changed.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Markk

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2012, 09:10:48 am »
Thanks that works wonderfully