Author Topic: Box Sets, Movies Series, etc how to group?  (Read 11563 times)

Offline Markk

• View Profile
Box Sets, Movies Series, etc how to group?
« on: May 27, 2012, 12:23:15 pm »
Ive noticed that when adding some of my box sets and it does an incomplete, partial or does weird renaming...

IE my Tremors added the the 4 movies as +Tremors - #1.1 ~#1.4
Mission Impossible as +Mission Impossible - 2. #1.2 and 2 more +mission impossibles -3. #1.3

I suspect its the Series feature kicking in... and making a mess of things

My question is can it be done manually - what is the correct way?
1) How to create a new movie +set
2) How to add a movie to and Existing +set
3) Names the Dir/Files so it does it automatically (set a rule?)

For box set of 2-3 I just add extra links to the files and pick a box set picture
But when you have 4+ movies in a series it looks and works better as a +set list - especially when the movies don't follow a set rule for naming

Just after a little guidance here please

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
  • "I'm willing to shoot you!"
    • View Profile
Re: Box Sets, Movies Series, etc how to group?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2012, 12:26:44 am »
There are two completely different issues here. One is using [OrigTitle] to record the original title of a film, and [Title] for how you want to refer to it in your database—which may include naming members of a series so they appear together in chronological order. The other issue is about naming files and configuring the file scanner so files are properly matched to the movie records.

The first issue can be dealt with two ways. The obvious one is to use [Title] as it is intended—to name the movie whatever is most meaningful and convenient to you. That can include using the form [Series] # [Episode] even if the original titles (recorded in [OrigTitle]) are not even close to that. The other method is to use a [Movie Series] field to record the series, which can then be used to group the episodes even if they're not similar. I recommend using both. Having a method of grouping the series means you don't have to struggle with dilemma of prefacing a title with a series name when you (or others) may still expect to find it under it's original name. If you look at how I've handled different series in the screenshot, you'll understand what I'm getting at. (My List title format is Title (Year) Movie Series—so I'm reminded of the series even if the episodes are not grouped.)

Important note: I've used the otherwise unused standard [Release] field as my [Movie Series] field (I've renamed it in the UI language file). That has the advantage of having some characteristics a custom field would not—like the context menu (shown) and being a standard search category.

I recommend doing some research before deciding what needs to be done about the second issue. The file scanner default configuration has sample regex for matching some common file naming patterns. Your file names have to contain the necessary data in a recognizable and consistent pattern. Regex that recognize the pattern used must then be added in the right order (they're processed until a match is found). So for the scanner to work properly, you have to either change the filenames so they're recognized by the regex, or change the regex to they recognize the filenames. You can find helpful topics here by searching for 'regex' or 'regular expressions.'

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 12:37:51 am by rick.ca »

Offline Markk

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2012, 10:28:32 am »
Could not find series as you have it listed (or anywhere)... But did Find 'Episodes' tab and that's doing the trick - to add - edit and get things sorted right

Thanks for your help rick.ca - I'm getting there

Offline Melmoth

• User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2012, 10:49:20 am »
Markk:
Important note: I've used the otherwise unused standard [Release] field as my [Movie Series] field (I've renamed it in the UI language file). That has the advantage of having some characteristics a custom field would not—like the context menu (shown) and being a standard search category.
However, there’s no need to rename it.

Rick: Intriguing idea, unfortunately I use release to add info like HD, SD, cut versions, etc… I’d still love to see one additional "wildcard field" for title formatting…  ::)

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2012, 12:07:55 pm »
Rick: Intriguing idea, unfortunately I use release to add info like HD, SD, cut versions, etc… I’d still love to see one additional "wildcard field" for title formatting…

Yes, I forgot—another reason to use the [Release] rather than a custom field is that it can be used in the list title formatting. There won't be any changes to standard fields any time soon. Are you including the media quality info in the list title?

However, there’s no need to rename it.

I suppose there's no 'need' to, but I don't want my [Movie series] referred to as 'Release' throughout the UI.

Offline Melmoth

• User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2012, 07:31:12 pm »
Are you including the media quality info in the list title?
Yes, unfortunately. I don’t want to click on the different editions etc. of the same title. E.g.
  • [HD] Black Swan
  • Black Swan

Other prefixes are TV, DC, Ext Cut, Cut, etc. and I want to keep them, and there’s no easy way to move them to the “translated title” field…

Offline JoopvB

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2012, 10:41:06 pm »
Hi Rick,

I like your suggestion to use the rease field to group movies and I agree that renaming it is the way to go, but... I can't find the UI language file. I am using the English version of the program. Please help me find it. Thanks.

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2012, 02:40:03 am »
http://www.videodb.info/bin/english.rc is the 0.9.x version. The 1.0.x version is attached to this message. Modify as required and save as custom.lng in the application folder.

Offline JoopvB

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2012, 10:43:05 am »
Thanks Rick, great tip. BTW is there a general tips and tricks Topic. Would be great.

Offline JoopvB

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2014, 09:31:54 am »
Hi Rick,

I can't find the 1.0.x version of the language file. The link (this message) is a dead end (for me). Could you help me out please?

Offline Ivek23

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2014, 08:16:15 pm »
I can't find the 1.0.x version of the language file.

For 1.0.x version of the language file find in this link:
http://www.videodb.info/bin/english.rc

The link (this message) is a dead end (for me).

Link is dead, not only for you but for everyone.
Ivek23
Win 10 64bit (32bit)   PVD v0.9.9.21, PVD v1.0.2.7, PVD v1.0.2.7 + MOD

Offline JoopvB

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2014, 08:40:46 am »
Thanks Ivek!

Offline Ivek23

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2014, 12:58:28 pm »
Ivek23
Win 10 64bit (32bit)   PVD v0.9.9.21, PVD v1.0.2.7, PVD v1.0.2.7 + MOD