Author Topic: Cannot view pictures when using DB stored on server  (Read 4837 times)

Offline Nautilus2067

• User
    • View Profile
Cannot view pictures when using DB stored on server
« on: June 07, 2012, 08:59:41 am »
Hi there,

actually I have stored the PVD DB on the movie server. PVD is installed there as well. I use TeamViewer to access that server. Everything works fine except that I am looking for a possibility to accesss the DB with a PVD installation on a local frontend. So I installed Firebird on the server and changed the path to the movie data so it uses shares instead of absolute paths.

Server:

PVD:D:\Programs\PVD
Movies:\\server\public\movies\
DB:\\server\public\data\PVD\movies.pvd
Pictures:   \\server\public\data\PVD\posters\

The first thing that appeared a little strange to me was that you have to use an absolute path when connecting from a client to the server:   

Instead of using \\server\public\data\PVD\movies.pvd one has to link to \\server\E:\Data\PVD\movies.pvd. Once I figured that out, I could access the database. But I cannot see any pictures. If I look at the properties in the client installation (which are of course the same as on the server, because they are stored in the DB) I can see the correct path: \\server\public\data\PVD\posters\. Entering the path in an explorer window I have access to the pictures.

Am I doing anything wrong? I know I could store the pictures in the database, but for various reasons I decided otherwise.

All Computers are running Windows 7 Professional x64.
PVD version 1.0.2.3

Kind Regards,
Oliver
« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 02:17:26 pm by Nautilus2067 »

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
  • "I'm willing to shoot you!"
    • View Profile
Re: Cannot view pictures when using DB stored on server
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2012, 03:39:52 am »
Bumping so someone who knows the answer might notice... ;)

Offline Nautilus2067

• User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2012, 10:13:06 am »
Nostra, can you give a statement on this topic?

Oliver

Offline nostra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Personal Video Database
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2012, 07:23:12 pm »
Actually you can not have posters saved externally with remote databases. The only way is to make PVD store images in the database file on the server machine.
Gentlemen, you can’t fight in here! This is the War Room!

anything