Author Topic: issues with importing movies - freezes and crashing  (Read 5211 times)

Offline mobucl

• View Profile
issues with importing movies - freezes and crashing
« on: July 19, 2012, 10:16:09 am »
Hi, this is my first post and first I just want to say that I have used PVD before and it worked great and I think it is the best program around for organising your movies.  Unfortunately I have just installed the latest version (fresh install) and I am a serious problem.

After creating my database I use 'scan folders for new movies' and point it to my films folder (~450 movies).  It scans the files ok and brings up the processing menu but after I click process it starts to download information from IMDB (i.e. xxxxxxx bytes) and then freezes (well initially I have access to some menus).  THe only thing I can do is start tak manager and force close.  Interestingly when I restart the imported films do appear in the database - but just the basic information.

I think this is a problem with the downloading of information from the databases as if i then select a movie and import movie information from IMDB it does the same thing (freeze but then when restart there is no movie information).  Trying to import from other databases seems to work so i think it is just the IMDB import plugin.

I am running windows 7 64 bit home edition.  Can anyone help as this problem makes it impossible to update my database.

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
  • "I'm willing to shoot you!"
    • View Profile
Re: issues with importing movies - freezes and crashing
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2012, 12:35:07 pm »
Welcome to the forum.

What version of the program are you using? Did you Check for updates to ensure the plugin is current?

Are you connecting to IMDb using a proxy server? I have a similar problem when I do, but the plugin works fine when I'm not using the proxy server.

Offline mobucl

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2012, 02:04:50 pm »
Hi rick.ca,

Thanks for your reply.  I am using 0.9.9.21.  I am not using a proxy so that cant be the problem. I checked for updates and I did get a load of them.  I then restarted and tried again.  Now I get to the screen where i can check for the correct version of the movie BUT after that Saqme problem......starts downloading the freeze.

On the plus side I now have the option to use the moviedb.org and this works.  The only thing is that it downloads like about 40 images for each film (the cover images) and sometime I end up with a foreign one as the first.

Any more suggests regarding accessing IMDB and also can I tell the plugin for moviedb.org to only download 1 image!

thanks

EDIT: just to note that I get the message at the bottom of the screen 'downloading from http://imdb.com/title/tt999999/' and thats where it freezes.  Also it seems that downloading posters from amazon.co.uk also causes problems sometimes....
« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 02:18:49 pm by mobucl »

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
  • "I'm willing to shoot you!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2012, 04:09:30 am »
Sorry, I don't know what the problem with the IMDb plugin might be. Maybe nostra will have an idea.

As for TMDb plugin, I too wish it would just download the default poster. Especially considering it now seems to be the best source for quality posters. What I do is run the plugin without the option to include images. I will normally have a poster from elsewhere, but will usually replace that by using the TMDb URL to visit the site and downloading a poster manually. That process is rather easy using version 1.0.x because the image can be copied and pasted directly to the poster container.

anything