Author Topic: .TAG File format for Netgear  (Read 10210 times)

Offline junk_struc

• User
    • View Profile
.TAG File format for Netgear
« on: February 15, 2011, 03:27:50 am »

My brother just bought a Netgear NeoTV 550.  This is a DLNA renderer that reads your NAS drive etc for movies.  It primarily gets its metadata from a .tag file near the movie file.  The meta data needs to be created externally as the provided tool is a bit lame and I have suggested PVD. 

I was wondering if anyone has looked into if PVD can do it and/or what it would take for PVD to have this export option.  From what I gather the .tag format is supposed to be a standard iso format (id3v2.4.0) and can contain an image in the tag.  see http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1270549&page=43 for some discussion.

Inclusion of this format may be a good way of expanding PVD's user base as there are probably a quite few users out there and there don't seem to be many choices for them that create .tag files (mymovies and mcm??)

Thanks

Craig

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
  • "I'm willing to shoot you!"
    • View Profile
Re: .TAG File format for Netgear
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2011, 03:50:28 am »
Support for such things is already there. All you need to do is create an XML export template that outputs the data in the required format. I don't know if you can trust it, but someone posted an illustration in the thread you quoted. Use that and one of the XML sample templates as a guide.

Offline junk_struc

• User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2011, 08:12:02 am »
Happy to stand corrected as I haven't dug too deep yet, but I think the .tag file is more than just a simple XML file as images can be embedded into it and it appears to be a binary type file when I opened one.  The example in the post was to an .nfo file that someone was considering converting via the perl scripts available (this source may have the code Nostra needs to create the file within PVD??).

If creating a .tag export function is not worth the effort, there may be a work around by creating a MyMovies xml file that the Netgear unit can read.  To this end, has anyone written a mymovies xml template yet to save me the effort? edit: mymovies.xml could be an intermediate step but would apparently introduce a need for manual conversion and thus not preferred.

Thanks
Craig
« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 10:37:20 am by junk_struc »

Offline nostra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Personal Video Database
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2011, 01:02:31 am »
Where can I get such a .tag file? Can you send me one?
Gentlemen, you can’t fight in here! This is the War Room!

Offline junk_struc

• User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2011, 10:43:17 am »

files sent.  let me know if there is anything else I can do.

Craig

Offline nostra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2011, 07:33:22 pm »
OK, it looks pretty easy as those files contain just the standard ID3v2 information. I'll probably create a plugin as soon as I find some time.

Offline junk_struc

• User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2011, 11:09:36 pm »

that is good news!!!!  thanks.

Offline sultan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2012, 10:36:02 am »
Hi @All!

Did you find some time for this feature? If not, can you send me the infos about the file format? Then I could try to write an export plugin myself.

Thanks!

Offline nostra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2012, 11:39:31 pm »
It was just a normal ID3 AFAIR. Unfortunately could find time for plugin, sorry.

Offline sultan

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2012, 11:19:27 pm »
Hello again!

Where can I find an example for an export plugin? For import there are plenty, but for export I didn't find anything.

Thanks,
Sultan

anything