Author Topic: Updating People removes link in Movies  (Read 8696 times)

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
  • "I'm willing to shoot you!"
    • View Profile
Updating People removes link in Movies
« on: December 23, 2012, 03:40:30 am »
I experience a bug for couple weeks, it might be new, even for you. Actually, when I review a movie, I sometimes click on an actor link and wish to update his/her filmography. Then, when I get back to the movie from where I started, this actor is missing form the actors list for that movie. Then I have to update info for this movie and the actor reappears......... Do not know how to refresh data for many of actors as I wish from time to time, without losing them in some movies. I have all newest plugins, and XP with SP3.

Welcome.

It's always done that. I'm not sure why—it is annoying. Maybe nostra can do something about it in the next update, or explain why it is so (maybe he has in the past, but I don't remember...)

Offline lepigaja

• View Profile
Re: Updating People removes link in Movies
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2012, 08:11:24 pm »
So, we must patient. Thanks, anyway.

Offline nostra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Personal Video Database
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2013, 09:23:00 pm »
Can you provide exact examples of movies/actors that produce such behavior? Also tell me what plugin is used to get information for the movies and people.
Gentlemen, you can’t fight in here! This is the War Room!

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2013, 02:28:12 am »
Well Dr. nostra, it's like this...I'm not suggesting this is any quantum physics phenomenon, but it's clearly the sort of behaviour that vanishes quickly once such questions are asked. Before responding that it still happens frequently, I decided to test to see if I could elaborate (although I've never seen a pattern). I had no difficulty finding a few (I might have tried 10 records to find them), then decided to take before and after screen shots to illustrate. Naturally, it didn't happen again (I checked about 50 records). :P

I use only IMDb plugins to update people. They're both up-to-date.

I'll try to remember to update this if things change. Maybe if I can do the test and get the screen shots without looking I'll capture the elusive behaviour. ;)

Offline nostra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2013, 01:54:18 pm »
It seems like I need to implement some kind of Large Hadron Collider to detect this bug  8)

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2013, 06:21:16 am »
It seems like I need to implement some kind of Large Hadron Collider to detect this bug

I think that would require a really really Large Donate Button, so I'll keep trying. I might be in alternate universe today (how can we ever really know?), but here are some different results. Each of the attached shows a movie/series record after updating...

• the record (for a known update status);
  • the people needing updates (some or all links disappear);
  • the record again (missing links return).

The behaviour continued with series (as illustrated by the first two screen shots) until I ran out of records needing updates. It continued with the first movie I tested (third shot), but then stopped (fourth shot)—sort of. I was still able to find a few, but they seemed rare.

So now we know...
  • It happens.
  • It stops happening. Maybe. For movies.

It's not much, but it didn't cost $4 billion. ;)

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline nostra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2013, 10:42:22 pm »
I could not find any bug in the main application that could lead to wrong person-movie connections, but the imdb plugin for people was not getting correct Year for series, so the it broke existing connections and led to the effect you describe.

In general: connections can get broken if the year, one of the titles or URL changes in filmography.

Offline lepigaja

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2013, 05:09:11 pm »
I could not find any bug in the main application that could lead to wrong person-movie connections, but the imdb plugin for people was not getting correct Year for series, so the it broke existing connections and led to the effect you describe.

In general: connections can get broken if the year, one of the titles or URL changes in filmography.

Hello again,

Sorry for a long delay. Even today I have the same problem, in spite of all fresh plugins installed. It's not only about series, but about regular movies as well. As far as I know, I am not the only one.
Kind regards,
lepigaja

Offline afrocuban

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2013, 09:33:21 pm »
I tried to reproduce the issue with the movie Jagten (2012) and updating actor's info for Mads Mikkelsen. No such a bug. Izvini.

Offline lepigaja

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2013, 06:15:52 pm »
I tried to reproduce the issue with the movie Jagten (2012) and updating actor's info for Mads Mikkelsen. No such a bug. Izvini.

Well, that's good for you. I have the same event no matter what movie I started from. It's a mess in my databese. God only knows which actors disappeared from which movies.

anything