Author Topic: IMDB (Movies) vs IMDB (People) plugin  (Read 5779 times)

Offline gear

• User
    • View Profile
IMDB (Movies) vs IMDB (People) plugin
« on: March 12, 2013, 10:11:51 pm »
Hello all,

Just came across a peculiar problem (v.0.9.9.21 with latest above plugins, on Win XP): If you turn off "Images" on the first plugin (i.e. to update episodes which have no image, avoiding the "404 Error"), the second plugin (people) disables also the "Images", so when you download a person's information, you don't get his picture!! You have to go back, change the configuration and reload.

That means that before any action, I have to check first at Imdb's site -IF there are any Episodes' images- and change every time my plugins' "Configuration", which is a huge delay....

Also if "Images" is disabled, there is no poster download from Imdb for the Movie/Serie.

Is this a bug or "normal procedure" ? Can somebody do something on improving this procedure ?

Any advice is welcomed.
Thanks,
gear

Offline nostra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Personal Video Database
Re: IMDB (Movies) vs IMDB (People) plugin
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2013, 12:22:18 am »
They both share the same configuration file, so it is by design. You are the first one to complain about this, but if it really a problem I can easily separate them.
Gentlemen, you can’t fight in here! This is the War Room!

Offline gear

• User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2013, 07:28:08 pm »
They both share the same configuration file, so it is by design. You are the first one to complain about this, but if it really a problem I can easily separate them.

About a couple of months ago, I had no problem with turning On or Off the "Download Image" in the IMDB configuration. I had it checked permanently and it worked also with the Episodes. If there was no image on Imdb, it wouldn't download it but did not return "404" error. This behavior happened after the 0.9.8.5 updated plugins.

Am I doing something wrong? That is my question.

Thank you for your help.

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
  • "I'm willing to shoot you!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2013, 01:56:48 am »
An existing solution would be to use IMDb2.dll for the episode downloads. It's just a duplicate of the original plugin modified to use it's own configuration. I use it for a different reason, but it's for series and I have disabled images (because I don't want any)—and therefore haven't experienced your 404 issue. BTW, I actually use three copies of IMDb2.dll, to use three different sets of field overwrite settings. The three share the same configuration file, while the original IMDb.dll works fine for movies and people.

...but if it really a problem I can easily separate them.

That might still be a good idea, but maybe it's time to formalize the 'IMDb2.dll hack' so everyone knows it's available as an alternate configuration for whatever reason they may need one. I suspect a number of others are using it, so there's at least a few of us who appreciate it being automatically updated along with the original.

Offline Ivek23

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2013, 11:54:15 am »
...but if it really a problem I can easily separate them.

That might still be a good idea, but maybe it's time to formalize the 'IMDb2.dll hack' so everyone knows it's available as an alternate configuration for whatever reason they may need one. I suspect a number of others are using it, so there's at least a few of us who appreciate it being automatically updated along with the original.
+1
Ivek23
Win 10 64bit (32bit)   PVD v0.9.9.21, PVD v1.0.2.7, PVD v1.0.2.7 + MOD