Author Topic: how does it work ?  (Read 8635 times)

Offline Nighthawk

• View Profile
how does it work ?
« on: February 10, 2013, 08:19:49 pm »
someone can explain/teach me how that works ?

its a fake ? its a hack of the viddb.exe ?

i watching pvd develoment for a long time. still waiting to find a way, how to use it without that damn eye hurting white background of the interface. i would love use pvd and create some dark skins if i could get rid off that damn white background (and color control of the fontcolor, because its alway black and not visable on black background  ;D ).

is there a way ? can someone explain me how?

tia

Nighthawk
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 08:53:18 pm by Nighthawk »

Offline nostra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Personal Video Database
Re: how does it work ?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2013, 11:44:57 pm »
Well you can't currently create an exactly same interface as on your screenshot, but you can already change a lot (including colors) in the information pane using skins and you can change list background color in Preferences -> Appearance -> Colors

More info on skins: http://www.videodb.info/help/hlp_skins.html
Gentlemen, you can’t fight in here! This is the War Room!

Offline Nighthawk

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2013, 02:34:29 pm »
ty for response nostra. i know about the skins and color changes of the list, but its not what i meant. here is a screen of my first try. its just the standard skin with grey colors

im not a good coder, but i can a bit hack/patch existing code. the black color behind the skin and list is normal white (clWhite). ok i found a way to patch it and i hope its ok hack/patch the exe for myself? by the other dude where the first screen is from, you not complained about the hack, so i hope its ok. i just cant stand extreme light colors. now i just need to find where the fontcolor of the list is set to black and i can start create a dark skin. might you give me a hint ?  ;D

you wrote:

Well you can't currently create

i specialy read the word currently  ;D do you work/planning on a better skin engine  for the future?

best regards
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 02:40:46 pm by Nighthawk »

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
  • "I'm willing to shoot you!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2013, 12:29:36 pm »
i specialy read the word currently  ;D do you work/planning on a better skin engine  for the future?

I have no idea what you're hacking or patching, or why. Perhaps you should try reading the manual before deciding the skin engine is not good enough. If all you're interested in is making an existing skin dark, you'll find it straightforward. Only the info panel is skinned. The appearance of the list can be changed via Preferences.

Offline Nighthawk

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2013, 02:58:43 pm »
it seems rick, you only looking for reasons to flame me without understand what i mean or why i ask. instead of being pissed of, maybe watch the screen and realize the 2 thing im talking about are NOT possible in preferences or skinning. my english is not that much but i think if you WANT, you can unstersand. i think nostra understand what im talking about.

its weird, by the other guy where the first screen is from i saw no flaming of you, cuz his interface looks awesome?

http://www.videodb.info/forum_en/index.php/topic,3194.0.html

and if its forbidden now, to ask nostra if he planning a better/advanced skinengine,then  close the forum. but do not twist the words in my mouth from "do you work/planning on a better skin engine  for the future?  to "deciding the skin engine is not good enough"...but its a pointless discuss now...a pure time waste fighting with you. 
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 03:08:37 pm by Nighthawk »

Offline nostra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Personal Video Database
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2013, 07:36:20 pm »
It seems like I have all the colors for the list except the default black one :/ I will certainly add a possibility to change the default text color in the list in the near future.

I do have plans in extending the skin engine in future. Not sure yet what feature will really get to to implemented thou.

P.S. I don't think Rick was flaming you on purpose. Just a little misunderstanding... 
Gentlemen, you can’t fight in here! This is the War Room!

Offline Nighthawk

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2013, 08:44:37 pm »
hello nostra, thanks for response. its really kind of you to looking into it and change that in the future.

for clearance with rick: maybe missunderstandings..i felt flamed and judged just for asking some simple questions, thats why i striked back. i just saw that screen of chase and was impressed and wanted to know, if its possible without hacking/how this works (and i thought from beginning on its a hack but i wanted to clear it) because i read all the manuals and found no way to get something like that.

im also not said "skinengine is not good enough" or anything like that. pvd is of all movie manager i found the best and closest to be perfect for me, thats why im here. there are just this 2 small things what i asked.

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
  • "I'm willing to shoot you!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2013, 11:30:13 am »
It seems like I have all the colors for the list except the default black one :/

It seems there's a reason for that. The users sets preferences for background colours to be used for the item's status. When any item is selected, the program uses a darker shade, and changes the font from black to white. Perhaps allowing a variable light/dark font would help, but the dark skin creator already has a difficult problem—how to choose a set of 'dark' colours, each of which can have a darker shade, and all of which are distinguishable from one another.

I'm still not sure, but it seems the other question has to do with the border around the list and info panels. I've always assumed that, like other parts of the program UI, are Windows elements that cannot be changed by the program. Some can be changed by changing Windows settings. Perhaps others can be changed by hacking the program, but that seems like a bad idea. In any case, it's difficult to see how the skin engine has much to do with this—unless the 'improvement' is to make the entire UI skinnable.

I do have plans in extending the skin engine in future.

Here's my vote for the live WYSIWYG drag 'n' drop object-oriented editor for the entire UI. ;D

anything