Author Topic: Database won't open  (Read 6142 times)

Offline Loftus

• View Profile
Database won't open
« on: October 12, 2014, 04:38:51 pm »
Hi All, sorry if this has been mentioned before i'm a little lost on this forum.

One of my databases has suddenly stopped opening. I opened it yesterday for a few seconds, changed the rating of one person, saved and closed. Now i'm unable to open it and recieve an error message (error code 3) I have no idea what's caused it, what to do about it or if everything i've added to the database is now lost. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2014, 06:58:35 pm by Loftus »

Offline Ivek23

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Database won't open
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2014, 07:10:45 pm »
Maybe try this:

Before you start PVD, to find pvdconf.ini file, you have it somewhere on the C partition. This pvdconf.ini previous file you save into a new folder where you have saved, because it kept certain information which you need when using PVD. Then run the PVD and then turn off again PVD to create a new pvdconf.ini file. Then again run the PVD and try to open it problematic database to see if it will open.
If it will be opened, there was a problem in pvdconf.ini file and then set the data from the old pvdconf.ini copy files into this new pvdconf.ini file.   

The possibility is also that the database also .old extension and this extension are easily delete, then the database will be restored.

I hope this will help a bit.
Ivek23
Win 10 64bit (32bit)   PVD v0.9.9.21, PVD v1.0.2.7, PVD v1.0.2.7 + MOD

Offline Loftus

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2014, 02:18:52 am »
Thanks for the reply Ivek.

I gave up on the previous database, thinking the issue was an unlikely random occurence and i would just have to use backups in the future.

I have recently created a new database and within an hour of starting to build on it the database is now corrupt.

PVD is crashing repeatedly when i am simply accessing/updating records and two databases have been corrupted in a few hours of use time.

Are these issues known about or is this possibly a problem with my copy?

I love the software but i'm losing the motivation to continue to use it due to the recent problems i've been facing.  :-\

Offline Ivek23

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2014, 07:35:58 am »
Are these issues known about or is this possibly a problem with my copy?

Maybe yes, might as well not.

It may be the fault of the plugin or script. Which plugin or script you are using?

Try updating the database with each plugin or script separately, then maybe in one of them, you can maybe find a bug, which then causes problems with the database that damage to this one.

Perhaps there is any error in the PVD software.

Perhaps it would be good to impose new again, sooner you however, make a copy yet old PVD software and a copy of pvdconf.ini file and other files, then you have copies of important software PVD files, if to by may later need.
Ivek23
Win 10 64bit (32bit)   PVD v0.9.9.21, PVD v1.0.2.7, PVD v1.0.2.7 + MOD

anything