Author Topic: PVD not opening properly  (Read 5496 times)

Offline jstvj

• View Profile
PVD not opening properly
« on: January 27, 2015, 04:25:09 pm »
Hello
My problem started with a notice saying database not loading (or something like that). Restarting Windows 7 cured the problem. Now PVD is opening but the left pane, which should have my list of movies is blank and blacked out. I have tried re-starting to no avail, so I assume I need to re-install PVD. However, I am worried I will lose the database. I do have a reasonably up to date back up, which consists of MOVIES.PVD and movies.pvd.bak, but  I dont know how to use them. Has someone got a solution to the problem and if that involves using the back up, can you give me a simple step by step run through the procedure please

Offline jstvj

• View Profile
Re: PVD not opening properly
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2015, 05:33:53 pm »
By the way I am using version 1.0.2.7. I have tried clicking on restore and nothing happened except that the number of movies now reads 0

Offline jstvj

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2015, 04:03:39 pm »
I have tried uninstalling (deleting) PVD from my downloads folder, including using Registry cleaners, but when I re-install the left hand pane is still black. Can anybody help me overcome this please. My .bak file still exists should I delete that and the MOVIES.PVD to get rid of the black pane   ???

Offline svenne

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2015, 12:39:11 pm »
Hi!
First of all I would copy the files MOVIES.PVD and movies.pvd.bak to some safe place (and all other .pvd files that might be there). Did you try to open Movies.pvd (via fileopen menu in PVD)? Or is it already the active database? Did you check if you have reading/writing permissions to the .bak file? (If you can copy it you may ignore this question, I guess...). Does PVD have reading/writing permissions to these files? Are the files readable at all? Maybe your hard drive has an erratic sector or something.
If nothing helps, create a new database with a different filename, add a movie entry (just to see if that works). You could try to reopen your real database later. And if you copied all files with the ending .pvd to some backup folder nothing can get lost or messed up (that is not already messed up...).
I don't know if your database problems have anything to do with the black pane. I had some display problems when viewing PVD in full screen (while my database was fine). Try if switching to windowed view and resizing the PVD window makes a difference (also shut it down in windowed mode and restart it).
Try to reinstall a freshly downloaded PVD. Make sure that it doesn't default to your potentially corrupted database (move the file to some other place before reinstalling into an empty folder). If the left pane is fine then your databse file is the problem. But if it is still black, something else is causing the problem.
This is just a bunch of ideas, of course. Maybe someone else can help with better ones...

Offline svenne

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2015, 12:47:48 pm »
By the way, the .bak file doesn't do anything on its own after starting PVD. You can restore a database from that file, but it is never active in the background or something. Each movie database consists of a single file with the ending .pvd. Your's is MOVIES.PVD, I guess, but if you generated more than one .pvd file you could try to open one after another in PVD. As I said, each would be an independent movie databaseon its own.

anything