Author Topic: PVD 1.0.xx problem  (Read 9558 times)

Offline gear

• User
    • View Profile
PVD 1.0.xx problem
« on: April 17, 2015, 08:12:53 pm »
Every time I add a new film I get an error message (see attached picture).

Anybody can help?

I have sent the bug report to the email mentioned in it, concerning another film a couple of days ago...

Offline svenne

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: PVD 1.0.xx problem
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2015, 11:48:59 pm »
Did you successfully add new films before? Or was it right from the start? Maybe it's a problem with file permissions (no permission for PVD to write to the file)? You might test this with administrator rights:
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/11841-run-administrator.html
If you've put the database file into the PVD program directory or another system folder that might be the cause. By the way, what does the bug report say (after clicking "show bug report")?

Offline gear

• User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2015, 03:41:19 pm »
Thank you svenne for giving me a hint and apologies for the late reply, as I was away from my laptop.

The installation of the software went smoothly. I copied my old (v.0.9.x) database scripts and plugins (for manual import of posters) as the software's ones do not work automatically and imported my old database. Everything looks to work properly, except the adding of a new Movie.

Tried your hint about admin rights but, the same happens again. Furthermore, every time I click on the program's shortcut, it asks "if I want to allow it to make modifications on my HDD".

I noticed though that if I wait without doing anything at the error message a sort of index line runs along the first button "Continue with the program", two times and then the error message goes away!!! Same happens if I click twice on the same "Continue ..." button.

As I don't understand anything from the bug report myself, I enclose it for reference if you can spot anything helpful...

I have also mailed it to the program's support but no reply was received...

The Database by default created a PVD folder in "my Documents" folder where the data is. Not in the program's directory.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2015, 05:30:01 pm by gear »

Offline svenne

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2015, 01:15:07 pm »
Some PVD threads seem to crash. Whatever, after looking through this bug report it doesn't really help me, either. It just shows your system environment, PVD threads, and other programs running on your computer while the program crashs occured. It might help nostra, of course, who is the author of PVD. But for the time being you might want to delete it from your post. It doesn't show passwords or something but gives away a lot of information about your computer.

I'm not really sure what happens and how to solve this.

I would download the portable version of PVD (just put it in some folder on your desktop for testing purposes) and try to add a movie to a fresh database (without the old plugins and scripts installed). At first, try to add a movie "by hand", not by importing anything. Then try to add one from file or internet. Then try it on an imported database of yours. Then try it with old plugins and scripts added to the scripts/plugins directories. And so on. Just to narrow down the cause of the problem.

Another idea would be to backup and then optimize your imported database. You will find these functions in the "Administraton" or "Tools" submenu (after clicking the "Personal Video Database" button). For optimizing the database I would at least choose to delete all invisible movie and person orphans and also choose the garbage collection (you can check these options in the "Optimize database..." menu). Doing that should have the database rebuild. That might give a cure if there was something strange hidden in your database structure.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2015, 01:37:45 pm by svenne »

Offline gear

• User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2015, 05:53:29 pm »
Hi Svenne. Thanks for the suggestions. I would like to try what you propose but, I am afraid to have two PVDs on my laptop. I think it will be a mess. Furthermore, without the older plugins of Ivek, almost nothing is properly imported. If ever the Imdb plugin is repaired by Nostra, I might try your suggestions.

In the meantime I will only do an Optimization.

Offline svenne

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2015, 11:51:42 am »
Apart from the error message... did you ever try one of Ivek's scripts to fix some of the broken imdb plugin features?
http://www.videodb.info/forum_en/index.php/topic,3282.0.html
I was very happy about his "Imdb Movie(cast) script". You can combine this with the imdb plug-in in a batch file. The batch file (a sample batch file is attached) should be copied to the plugins folder, the script to the script folder. You can try other scripts and modify the batch accordingly (with notepad or another text editor).
The newest (beta) version of the cast script (Ivek wrote, the original one would have some minor error) can be found here:
http://www.videodb.info/forum_en/index.php/topic,3991.msg19066.html#msg19066

Offline Ivek23

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2015, 12:39:07 pm »
Apart from the error message... did you ever try one of Ivek's scripts to fix some of the broken imdb plugin features?
http://www.videodb.info/forum_en/index.php/topic,3282.0.html
I was very happy about his "Imdb Movie(cast) script". You can combine this with the imdb plug-in in a batch file. The batch file (a sample batch file is attached) should be copied to the plugins folder, the script to the script folder. You can try other scripts and modify the batch accordingly (with notepad or another text editor).
The newest (beta) version of the cast script (Ivek wrote, the original one would have some minor error) can be found here:
http://www.videodb.info/forum_en/index.php/topic,3991.msg19066.html#msg19066

The corrected version of IMDB Movie (cast) Script is now here in the Imdb Movie Script for rating ...  topic.
Ivek23
Win 10 64bit (32bit)   PVD v0.9.9.21, PVD v1.0.2.7, PVD v1.0.2.7 + MOD