Author Topic: Looking for a book cataloguer  (Read 6030 times)

Offline mumin

• View Profile
Looking for a book cataloguer
« on: July 21, 2015, 07:29:56 pm »
Hi! ;D

As we all know PWD is perfect. But finding something even remotely as good for books is hopeless. Any tips out there?

I have Calibre for converting. But what I'm looking for is a fairly simple program for grouping my ebooks and get an overview of what I have. Calibre doesn't do it for me when it comes to that. It doesn't necessarily need to fetch info about the book, but I absolutely need categories and cover images (also on the overview page).

I find that with ebooks it's so hard to remember what books you have and which you have read. I think that is because you don't "see" them as with physical books. Cover images help, I think.

I had a nice program but alas it was discontinued. I haven't liked any of the big ones I've tried. Either they don't provide the simple features I want (like browse by category with images) or they are overly complex and complicated.

« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 07:32:01 pm by mumin »

mgpw4me

Re: Looking for a book cataloguer
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2015, 05:08:03 pm »
Here's a thread (for video games) detailing how to use PVD for pretty much any collection:

http://www.videodb.info/forum_en/index.php/topic,1567.msg6892

What you want could be as simple as creating a custom language file (for renaming the display fields) and copying a skin you like (delete the fields you don't need).  You could use the file scanner to create the main entries, but after that, you'd either have to write scripts or enter data manually.