Author Topic: problem with displaying all the films and the relevant data  (Read 8782 times)

Offline video_amnesiac

• View Profile
Over a period of time I've entered cover information and updated the data for over 300 films onto my USB hard drive,

Yesterday I was doing some work for my partner, which involved using a usb stick, and last night we decided to watch a film. When I opened PVD there was only about 8 films appeared as 'not viewed', on further investigation I found that my USB hard drive had been re-lettered to 'G' from its normal 'F'.

I removed the USB stick and changed the hard drive back to 'F'.

I then restarted PVD but the same 8 films were listed as before.

I  used PVD and managed to reload all the files but they have no data or images associated.

Can anybody tell me if it is possible to recover all the information and images so that I don't have to do it all again manually for each film

Thanks

Offline Ivek23

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: problem with displaying all the films and the relevant data
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2015, 07:27:38 pm »
Welcome to the forum, video_amnesiac.

If you have made database for these films, and then you create a new folder and copy the database and backup files in this folder and then make a restore an existing database, if you have one, I assume that you have done database for this movies.

I hope that I am doing something to help in resolving problems.

Ivek23
Win 10 64bit (32bit)   PVD v0.9.9.21, PVD v1.0.2.7, PVD v1.0.2.7 + MOD

Offline video_amnesiac

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2015, 08:57:17 pm »
Many thanks for the reply Ivek23.

Since I've been using PVD I've become handicapped, stuck in bed and on Morphine and Fentanyl. The reason I say this is to explain that my memory is now awful and I have no idea if I have a database or not.

Is there a way by which I can tell this, I would also appreciate some instructions on how to create,backup and restore a database.

I can see that there is a comprehensive help system with PVD but because of my medication I lack the concentration to read it and take it in. This is a bizarre situation for me because for many years before my health problems I worked as an IT manager, project manager, systems analyst for a number of large companies.

Thank you for any extra help you could offer, much appreciated

Offline Ivek23

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2015, 09:00:47 am »
Many thanks for the reply Ivek23.

Since I've been using PVD I've become handicapped, stuck in bed and on Morphine and Fentanyl. The reason I say this is to explain that my memory is now awful and I have no idea if I have a database or not.

Thank you for this clarification. It will now be easier for you to help.

Is there a way by which I can tell this, I would also appreciate some instructions on how to create,backup and restore a database.

Interpretation and instructions will be step by step, it will be easier to understand and how to create, backup and restore a database.

Since you do not remember if there database file for your collection of movies, I suggest the following:

Go to the Computer folder in the box where it says Search computer copy this" .pvd " extension and start the search. First, it will in the search results show, for example, movies (movies.pvd) database files then the movies.pvd.bak database backup files. If you have movies (movies.pvd) database file of at least 2MB or more, it means that there remains the possibility that the database exists for your collection of movies. Open the context menu and " Open file location " to find the file. Then do so as I have already described in the previous answer, to see what is hidden in the file.

When you do this, let me know how things running, then do further steps to help.
Ivek23

Offline video_amnesiac

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2015, 11:42:34 am »
that found 2 files, the latest being dated November 2013. I've opened that and I now have the information for most of my files.

I have about 50-70 files that I have loaded since that date, is there anything else to do.

I really appreciate your help

Offline Ivek23

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2015, 02:48:45 pm »
that found 2 files, the latest being dated November 2013. I've opened that and I now have the information for most of my files.

Great, at least about three-quarters of the data is found. If there were no files found with " .pvd.bak " extension, do it now, in the Tools or any other tab find the word Backup, through which you make a backup file, which will in the future serve for potential recovering data in database.
You do this by using the word Restore, which is in the same tab as the word Backup.

If the retrieved file with " .pvd.old " extension, is simply old in the extension removed and the file " .pvd " extension will operate normally.

And one more thing:
which version of PVD program is used to ask because some of the features and operation of these vary from one software version to another version of the program.

I really appreciate your help

Thanks.
Ivek23

Offline Ivek23

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2015, 03:17:33 pm »
I have about 50-70 files that I have loaded since that date, is there anything else to do.

For this will not be another solution than manually re-locate and edit the data.

Advice:
After each new input of data if the data are in order, you immediately create or save data from a backup copy.

And yet:
Before you now and in the future do or changed in the database, you create a new folder and make a copy of it in existing databases as well as backup data in case there was something wrong with existing database, then you have found remains copies thereof available (this advice from my own experience because I already had a few problems with existing databases, and because I had a copy of that, so then I did not lose the existing data for a considerable number of movies in the database).
« Last Edit: July 24, 2015, 07:30:02 pm by Ivek23 »
Ivek23

Offline CAD

• Older Power User
  • I've got my eye on you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2015, 10:08:58 am »
Hi,
You could also look in recycle bin for file ending in ".pvd" in case it was accidentally deleted
three fingered salutation

Offline Ivek23

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2015, 07:06:12 pm »
Hi,
You could also look in recycle bin for file ending in ".pvd" in case it was accidentally deleted

Excellent advice. Thanks, CAD.
Ivek23