Author Topic: Alternative  (Read 42507 times)

Offline Majstr

• View Profile
Alternative
« on: April 23, 2018, 01:51:31 pm »
On the matter of fact that this program is not developing any more and all the plugins stopped working I am trying to find good alternative.
Do you have any suggestions?

Offline afrocuban

• View Profile
Re: Alternative
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2018, 11:33:48 pm »
Unfortunately, we are still here because we believe there isn't alternative for PVD. None of other programs, and I tried them so many in last 15-20 years is not even close to PVD.

Offline Ivek23

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2018, 05:56:08 am »
Maybe Movienizer, which is payable or EMDB, which is free.
Ivek23
Win 10 64bit (32bit)   PVD v0.9.9.21, PVD v1.0.2.7, PVD v1.0.2.7 + MOD

Offline VVV_Easy_Programing

• Older Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2018, 02:00:17 pm »
Unfortunately, we are still here because we believe there isn't alternative for PVD. None of other programs, and I tried them so many in last 15-20 years is not even close to PVD.
I agree with afrocuban, not other programs are so flexible as PVD.
With periodic updates you can try "Ant Movie Catalog", "Filmotech" and the cited by Ivek EMDB "Eric's Movie Database".
If you want test without install, you can use SyMenu, a portable menu launcher https://www.ugmfree.it/Default.aspx
But, if you wait a little I'm trying to make a PVD MOD that works without much problems  ;D

Offline afrocuban

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2018, 10:40:13 pm »
Thank you Easy. We are waiting for your mod, and hopefully for your FilmAffinity English script!  8) ;D

Offline deazo

• Older Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2018, 11:30:37 am »

I started using PVD in 2008.
I have loved (and still do) PVD but I have recently decided to move on, because of several reasons, but mainly because the movie plugins were getting difficult to work with and I simply could not rely on one single (great) guy called Ivek to help me, every time I had issues.
I have never liked xbmc and other fancy tools, because they never gave me the power PVD was giving me, and the sexy interface with limited navigation/filtering did not really appeal to me.

I found a good "half-way" tool called PLEX.
It is very simple to work with.
It matches movies easily and have many nice plugins.
The interface is OK, and the filterings/navigation is OK (not great, but really OK).
It is free with some premium features but the free version does the job.

Bottom line: I now spend much less time maintaining my collection than with pvd.

Extra info:
I have built a NAS server based on UNRAID. I have setup automated downloads with various tools (sonarr, radarr, deluge, etc.) all done via vpn.
Everything goes to Plex, get matched, and can be watched from everywhere.

I am still keeping an eye on PVD through this forum because I still love it and I could easily start using it again.

Offline afrocuban

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2018, 07:08:57 pm »
I totally understand you, deazo. A year ago I tried to move to Kodi (Plex runs in it, as well), because in Kodi you actually don't have to have a file in order to import it to library. Exported my ~7k titles with as much as possible fields and imported to Kodi, but after couple of months I quit - it simply isn't made to keep big library, it became slow as hell.

For Plex, you have to have a file, and in PVD I keep the records of all the movies I have seen (on TV, in cinema, etc.).

So, it depends a lot on what you make a database for.

I agree that is very difficult to use PVD in this situation, and I really admire to Ivek for his devotion, but for me and my needs simply there is no alternative. I will never erase my ~17GB database.

Kind regards
« Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 07:13:59 pm by afrocuban »

Offline Ivek23

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2018, 07:25:51 pm »
I agree that is very difficult to use PVD in this situation, and I really admire to Ivek for his devotion, but for me and my needs simply there is no alternative.

Thank you very much for your compliments. I count this in honor, afrocuban. I am also happy to do this because I am a fan of good and old, especiallymovies from western, comedy, history and adventure genres.
Ivek23

Offline afrocuban

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2018, 07:51:41 pm »
No, Ivek. Thank YOU - for recognizing its value and keeping alive best ever application.

PVD.

Offline deazo

• Older Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2018, 09:04:38 pm »

Yes Ivek thank you for all the help, I know I already thanked you many times but really you kept me afloat for many more months with PVD.

Afrocuban yes I see your point about needing a file.
 In PVD I have many movie pages that are not linked to a file because I delete from my hard drive any movie that I do not rank higher than 6.5/10.
 In Plex if you delete the file, the movie page disappears.
 Like I said I did try Kodi/XBMC and still do not like it (big empty pages with stupid fanart that I do not need)
 Plex however is more "to the point" and in terms of speed it is currently handling 5K+ of my movies, and I am not counting the series and personal pics/videos with no issue.
It is also a player and a great quality one.

One thing to note however is that the Plex library is not a file (like the pvd library), and there are limited export options, and I am basically pretty sure the day it crashes I will loose the metadata.
 So Plex feels a bit like a black box you do not REALLY control.

But to be honest what matters the most to me are the actual movie files (kept on my hard drive and backed up), my watched/unwatched status (synchronised via API with trakt.tv), and my ratings (synchronised with trakt/imdb). The metadata can be rebuild quite easily as long as you have named/organised your collection properly and using the right scraper.

I really wish we had the bloody PVD code, I am sure this software could fly way above any other software with good development.

I will for sure keep popping my head around here to see if we finally broke that damn wall.

• Older Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2018, 09:32:30 pm »
Well, I see that all have our own solution.
Personaly I prefers the more near of software FOS (Free Open Source): I use PVD for store all of my collection and with the template Export to XBMC:
http://www.videodb.info/forum_en/index.php/topic,1496.msg20102.html#msg20102
I create the *.nfo  files to read with KODI scrapers in "Local Information Only" and I can renovate the saved information in PVD every time that I want.

BTW, afrocuban, I think that the Filmaffinity [EN][HTTPS] will arrive early but now I'm workin in Personal DB-MOD. Here the first alfa version:
http://vvveasy.altervista.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/PersonalVideoDB_MOD-V.Alfa_.1.zip

I need alfa-testers  ;D for the general program working (not for the retreived info, I must adapt the Ivek IMDB  scripts).
You can unzip in your desktop and run only in portable mode (portable.bat) without internet proxi.

;D Eager of knowing the results of your first tests ;D
« Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 09:39:25 pm by VVV_Easy_Programing »

Offline Ivek23

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2018, 07:20:06 am »
I need alfa-testers  ;D for the general program working (not for the retreived info, I must adapt the Ivek IMDB  scripts).
You can unzip in your desktop and run only in portable mode (portable.bat) without internet proxi.

;D Eager of knowing the results of your first tests ;D

I will try to add it to the forum as soon as possible repaired Imdb scripts to make it easier to adapt for use in this program.
Ivek23

Offline Ivek23

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2018, 10:27:42 am »
I have already tested it, now also Filmaffinity [ES] [HTTPS] script, which previously did not work, also works. Few corrections and will be rightly and effectively replaced for the current PVD.
Ivek23

Offline afrocuban

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2018, 05:06:35 pm »
Thanks for the mod, Easy. I have quickly tried it. Imported ~5k titles, and noticed nothing bad. You were right -imdb script doesn't work, as well as proxy. Import from tmdb was smooth. Hopefully imdb and other scripts will work after you adapt them.

Thank you for your contribution!

Kind regards

Offline afrocuban

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2018, 11:17:39 pm »
... now also Filmaffinity [ES] [HTTPS] script, which previously did not work, also works.

Strange. This script doesn't work for me. It gives me error:

"Too many faulty attempts to internet conexion.
  žRetry or Cancel"

(typos are seen in dialog box - "coneXion" and "ž")

Offline Ivek23

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2018, 05:11:08 am »
... now also Filmaffinity [ES] [HTTPS] script, which previously did not work, also works.

Strange. This script doesn't work for me. It gives me error:

"Too many faulty attempts to internet conexion.
  žRetry or Cancel"

(typos are seen in dialog box - "coneXion" and "ž")

For in my case:
This error occurs in 0.9.9.21 version. For version 1.0.2.7, it works normally. Proxomitron is not switched on then.
Ivek23

Offline afrocuban

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2018, 11:19:14 am »
This error happens to me in Easy MOD's version - 1.0.2.7, and of course proxy isn't turned on in PVD while it happens.

Offline Ivek23

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2018, 07:47:51 am »
Easy MOD's version - 1.0.2.7

imdb script

In certain cases, he himself finds a movie title in search of results and also transfers information.

In certain cases, it can not find a movie title in search for results, but it transmits information using a manual URL address entry.

In certain cases it does not work at all and a window appears where you can then stop the PVD.

When this field confirms that the PVD is still open (once or twice) and restart imdb script, then there are two options: the script will work with the transmission of information, or there will still be a window to close the PVD.

The reason is probably in this URL for finding results, for example, below.

https://www.imdb.com/search/title?title=10+Things+I+Hate+About+You&title_type=feature&release_date=,&view=simple

The better url url for finding results is, for example, below.

https://www.imdb.com/find?ref_=nv_sr_fn&q=10+Things+I+Hate+About+You&s=tt

It would also be good if the search for results would not be a preview of the images, because the quality of the images is very poor.
Ivek23

Offline Ivek23

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2018, 08:15:53 pm »
You have here to test IMDB_ [EN] [HTTPS] script for Easy MOD's version - 1.0.2.7 .

Script is added.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 07:23:24 am by Ivek23 »
Ivek23

• Older Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2018, 09:11:07 pm »
Thank you very much for your help.
I have some ideas to correct the problems but there is a  lot of work.
Stay tunned  ;D .

anything