Author Topic: Saving the database file on a network drive with running Firebird??  (Read 5415 times)

Offline thenilerivr

• View Profile
First, I want to say that I have been very impressed with this software, especially the ability to customize the fields and search characteristics.

I really need to keep a remote copy of the database file on a network drive that can be accessed by multiple clients on the network. This is at work and my IT group holds the keys tightly to the servers. I don't think I will be able to have FireBird or anything other hosting software running on the server. The only solution that I can think of would be to keep a copy of the database on the network location and then have each user copy it to their local computer before running. I would much rather have a database that can be updated automatically when one user makes a change.

Why is it that I can store the database file on a removable drive, but not a network location?

Thanks

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
  • "I'm willing to shoot you!"
    • View Profile
Welcome, nile.

I'm no expert on networking, but it seems to me if Firebird is to act as a server (which is what it is), users have to have access to it, and it has to have access to the database. As you've deduced, installing in on the server would make it accessible to users. I imagine it could be installed on your machine, if other users had access to that. If neither is possible or allowed, then I think you have to conclude your employer doesn't want you to be able to do so. If that's not necessarily the case, maybe you could ask. If it is, another option would be to install it at home, and give your coworkers access. That wouldn't work as well as the first two options, but if it makes everyone unproductive, your IT group may be shamed into installing it for you. Or it get you fired. ;D

Offline thenilerivr

• View Profile
Thanks for the quick response on this. I think you are right, I will need to keep a PC running 24/7 with the database file and firebird server. I can still keep the video files saved on the corporate server using the remote file path found in the wiki. This is good since I will have multiple TB of video.

One thing that would be good to note in the wiki for "Connect to Server" is that port 3050 needs to be opened in the firewall before this will work.

anything