Author Topic: USB ?  (Read 20209 times)

Offline Mike

• View Profile
USB ?
« on: September 21, 2007, 06:30:01 am »
Hello...

Just wanted to say thank you for a great piece of software...
I tried other products but wasn't satisfied and by pure chance stumbled on yours and it's exactly what I was looking for.

Also wanted to ask is it possible for the program to run entirely
from a USB flash drive which would enable me to transport the
program from pc to pc.

thanks again.

Mike.

*Update*

Apologies for not using 'search' option correctly but I think
this thread http://www.videodb.info/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=437&highlight=portable has the answer I'm looking for...(I hope).

Offline nostra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Personal Video Database
USB ?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2007, 12:44:42 pm »
Just copy program files to the USB stick.
If you have already added some movies to the database copy the .pvd file and corresponding image folders to the USB stick as well (if not just create a new database on the stick).
Default database location is "My Documents\Personal Video Database\".

Start Personal Video Database using portable.bat or "videodb.exe -portable" or using the AutoIt script from DaRam.
Gentlemen, you can’t fight in here! This is the War Room!

Offline Mike

• View Profile
USB ?
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2007, 01:26:49 pm »
many thanks nostra for the feedback...appreciate your help.

thanks once again for the great software.

Mike.

Offline nostra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
USB ?
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2007, 02:06:31 pm »
You are welcome ;)

Offline jolly_bravo

• View Profile
Re: USB ?
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2008, 10:02:43 am »
Just copy program files to the USB stick.
If you have already added some movies to the database copy the .pvd file and corresponding image folders to the USB stick as well (if not just create a new database on the stick).
Default database location is "My Documents\Personal Video Database\".

Start Personal Video Database using portable.bat or "videodb.exe -portable" or using the AutoIt script from DaRam.
using the pdv in portable way, the portable.bat opens 2 windows, one dos window and the pdv. how to make the dos window, to close automatically? it annoys me a little :)
dos window:
h=f^3

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
  • "I'm willing to shoot you!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2008, 06:37:23 pm »
how to make the dos window, to close automatically?

Use a shortcut instead of the batch file.

Offline jolly_bravo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2008, 01:20:57 pm »
how to make the dos window, to close automatically?

Use a shortcut instead of the batch file.
thank u very much
h=f^3

Offline horusofoz

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2008, 10:57:19 am »
This is my first post so I'm first going to say Thanks for making such a great app. Is really handy, avoids some of the language issues with AMC (missing translation strings) and overall I prefer the appearence. With that said I'm running using the portale BAT that I converted to an EXE so it would show up in my Portableapps.com Platform/Menu. Unfortunately this means I still have 2 windows : ( Does anyone know how to make the dos window not show up at all?

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
  • "I'm willing to shoot you!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2008, 11:53:23 am »
Welcome to the forum.

The batch file is just starting the program with the -portable switch. You can do the same thing with a shortcut, and DOS window will not be created. If you were to create such a shortcut, would the PortableApps.com menu system recognize it? I suppose not, or you wouldn't be asking. Does this topic in the PortableApps.com forum help? They're talking about how the make Skype portable, but the issues seems to be the same—how to add a command line parameter to the program being started.

Offline horusofoz

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2009, 01:34:36 am »
Hi guys

Long time no see. Saw in the PortableApps forums someone recommended Ant movie Catalog and when commenting on it came back to this site and noticed you now have a PortableApps Installer :o What can I say... Sweet! ;D  Thanks for this. Just thought I'd let you know that the installer has been updated a few times now making it much easier to creat installers and portable launchers and you dont even need to use NSIS anymore  :) Hope you choose to update the installer oh and official freeware support is very close to fruition at PortableApps.com so can I suggest the software author here posts on the forum saying he would like PVD listed when the freeware support is finalised.

Thanks again for all your work :D

Offline nostra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2009, 01:42:37 am »
You are welcome, horusofoz.

Thank for the info, I will take a look at the new PortableApps installer (actually it seemed to me easy enough already in the old version) and I would certainly be glad to be listed in the official PortableApps package when freeware is allowed.

Offline horusofoz

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2009, 05:20:26 am »
Hey Nostra

I've just done a bit more testing on your portable version and found the launcher doesn't seem to pick up when you change file letters. Can I suggest you check out the PortableApps IRC channel through irc://irc.freenode.net/portableapps or alternatively http://portableapps.com/support/chat/live.

I can assure you the guys in the channel are always very helpful and there is currently an interest in developing better freeware support so am sure the people there will be very happy to help you :)

EDIT: Just occurred to me that this may be an issue caused by admin rights. Not sure but its a chance.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2009, 01:06:58 pm by horusofoz »

Offline nostra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2009, 08:59:00 pm »
EDIT: Just occurred to me that this may be an issue caused by admin rights. Not sure but its a chance.

Could you check and let me know?

Offline horusofoz

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2009, 10:52:24 am »
Tested again today and found that it wont work on my pc at work which is XP SP3 with limited rights. So yeah I think it is something in your PAF launcher code. I suggest you revise your launcher code and maybe update to the latest PAF spec while your at it. Oh and at work its the same drive letter so that no longer appears to be the issue.

Offline horusofoz

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2010, 06:33:23 am »
Hey man. Just checking if there's been any updates on this front. Hope all is going well.

Horusofoz

Offline horusofoz

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2010, 12:24:57 am »
Hey just following up again. I noticed your PortableApps.com installer is using an outdated version which leads me to believe the bug with drive letter changing and admin rights is still present. I suggest posting your installer to the PortableApps.com forums. The community there are very active in assisting developers using the PortableApps.com Format.

Offline nostra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2010, 12:33:18 am »
Yeah, sorry. I just had no time to deal with this, but you could still try this one as there were also some problems with access rights in the database files which are fixed now...

Offline horusofoz

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2010, 12:55:09 am »
I did some limited testing on college computers. XP SP3, limited rights. The application opened without issues. Added  a movie, closed the app, restarted it and it open the database by default. That means that bug is dealt with (I think ;)). I noticed that a folder is created by default at X:\Documents\Personal Video Database\. Can I suggest moving this to X:\PortableApps\PVD Portable\Data ? This keeps all of PVD's files together and doesn't create extra folders in the users documents area.

Still need to regshot for files or keys left behind and test how it holds up to drive letter changing. Will try to get this done tonight.

Offline nostra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2010, 01:13:34 am »
Thx for the testing.

Can I suggest moving this to X:\PortableApps\PVD Portable\Data ? This keeps all of PVD's files together and doesn't create extra folders in the users documents area.

Yes, it is a good idea.

Offline horusofoz

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2010, 10:24:55 am »
Good news. PVD Portable successfully managed the drive letter change. However My testing is limited to XP SP3. Still it worked :)

Below is a Regshot.
Code: [Select]
Regshot 1.8.2
Comments:
Datetime:2010/2/25 09:14:19  ,  2010/2/25 09:15:00
Computer:Computer Name , Computer Name
Username: ,

----------------------------------
Keys added:2
HKU\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MountPoints2\G
HKU\S-1-5-18\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MountPoints2\G

Values deleted:2
HKU\S-1-5-21-436374069-796845957-682003330-1003\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\MUICache\G:\PortableApps\RegshotPortable\RegshotPortable.exe: "Regshot Portable"
HKU\S-1-5-21-436374069-796845957-682003330-1003\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\MUICache\G:\PortableApps\RegshotPortable\App\regshot\regshot.exe: "regshot"

Values added:4
HKU\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MountPoints2\G\BaseClass: "Drive"
HKU\S-1-5-21-436374069-796845957-682003330-1003\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\MUICache\LangID: 09 04
HKU\S-1-5-21-436374069-796845957-682003330-1003\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\MUICache\G:\PortableApps\PVD Portable\App\Personal Video Database\viddb.exe: "viddb"
HKU\S-1-5-18\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MountPoints2\G\BaseClass: "Drive"

Values modified:11
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Cryptography\RNG\Seed: FE 84 F1 1E E4 BD 27 E3 14 EF 05 EE 7D 15 D2 3C F1 13 A0 66 40 D5 8F 6B C8 8A 22 8E D2 62 DE BA 38 AA 53 79 51 DA 2D 51 6A 53 01 F4 03 52 AC ED 6F 40 5D 5A 10 8A BA 92 BC 94 48 9D FB F3 68 AB 2F 55 E9 90 BA E8 F2 7E 5A 08 BE 5B 61 B1 38 5A
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Cryptography\RNG\Seed: DF D4 2A DC AA 2D 46 32 25 F2 0F 37 06 7D AF F9 65 C2 53 98 95 13 CF 83 C1 56 71 DB E9 EB 5F 70 08 71 76 29 2A 39 5B 98 75 A2 D0 D6 7E 71 F1 57 FA 05 EB 01 B5 88 5C C1 66 D3 2E C4 65 08 34 D9 AE 13 39 4E E5 2D C3 00 0C A4 77 A5 EC B9 12 13
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Search\Gather\Windows\SystemIndex\NotificationLogCheckPoint: DE 59 02 00 00 00 00 00
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Search\Gather\Windows\SystemIndex\NotificationLogCheckPoint: BE 75 02 00 00 00 00 00
HKU\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders\Desktop: "C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\Desktop"
HKU\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders\Desktop: ""
HKU\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders\Favorites: "C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\Favorites"
HKU\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders\Favorites: ""
HKU\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders\Personal: "C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\My Documents"
HKU\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders\Personal: ""
HKU\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders\Start Menu: "C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\Start Menu"
HKU\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders\Start Menu: ""
HKU\S-1-5-21-436374069-796845957-682003330-1003\SessionInformation\ProgramCount: 0x00000003
HKU\S-1-5-21-436374069-796845957-682003330-1003\SessionInformation\ProgramCount: 0x00000001
HKU\S-1-5-18\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders\Desktop: "C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\Desktop"
HKU\S-1-5-18\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders\Desktop: ""
HKU\S-1-5-18\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders\Favorites: "C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\Favorites"
HKU\S-1-5-18\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders\Favorites: ""
HKU\S-1-5-18\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders\Personal: "C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\My Documents"
HKU\S-1-5-18\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders\Personal: ""
HKU\S-1-5-18\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders\Start Menu: "C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\Start Menu"
HKU\S-1-5-18\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders\Start Menu: ""

Files added:33
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Search\Data\Applications\Windows\Projects\SystemIndex\Indexer\CiFiles\00010007.ci
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Search\Data\Applications\Windows\Projects\SystemIndex\Indexer\CiFiles\00010007.dir
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Search\Data\Applications\Windows\Projects\SystemIndex\Indexer\CiFiles\00010007.wid
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Search\Data\Applications\Windows\Projects\SystemIndex\Indexer\CiFiles\00010008.ci
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Search\Data\Applications\Windows\Projects\SystemIndex\Indexer\CiFiles\00010008.dir
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Search\Data\Applications\Windows\Projects\SystemIndex\Indexer\CiFiles\00010008.wid
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Search\Data\Applications\Windows\Projects\SystemIndex\Indexer\CiFiles\0001000B.ci
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Search\Data\Applications\Windows\Projects\SystemIndex\Indexer\CiFiles\0001000B.dir
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Search\Data\Applications\Windows\Projects\SystemIndex\Indexer\CiFiles\0001000B.wid
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Search\Data\Applications\Windows\Projects\SystemIndex\Indexer\CiFiles\0001000D.ci
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Search\Data\Applications\Windows\Projects\SystemIndex\Indexer\CiFiles\0001000D.dir
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Search\Data\Applications\Windows\Projects\SystemIndex\Indexer\CiFiles\0001000D.wid
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Search\Data\Applications\Windows\Projects\SystemIndex\Indexer\CiFiles\00010010.ci
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Search\Data\Applications\Windows\Projects\SystemIndex\Indexer\CiFiles\00010010.dir
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Search\Data\Applications\Windows\Projects\SystemIndex\Indexer\CiFiles\00010010.wid
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Search\Data\Applications\Windows\Projects\SystemIndex\Indexer\CiFiles\00010011.ci
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Search\Data\Applications\Windows\Projects\SystemIndex\Indexer\CiFiles\00010011.dir
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Search\Data\Applications\Windows\Projects\SystemIndex\Indexer\CiFiles\00010011.wid
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Search\Data\Applications\Windows\MSS016AF.log
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Search\Data\Applications\Windows\MSStmp.log
C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\Local Settings\Temp\TWAIN.LOG
C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\Local Settings\Temp\Twain001.Mtx
C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\Local Settings\Temp\Twunk001.MTX
C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\Local Settings\Temp\Twunk002.MTX
C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\7Y5QHT19\desktop.ini
C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\GBTS5UGU\desktop.ini
C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\MS1XWZBB\desktop.ini
C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\U1MM9E22\desktop.ini
C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\desktop.ini
C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch\PVD_PORTABLE.EXE-19A22817.pf
C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch\SEARCHFILTERHOST.EXE-148579FB.pf
C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch\SEARCHPROTOCOLHOST.EXE-34E0253A.pf
C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch\VIDDB.EXE-019ACB1E.pf

Files deleted:2
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Search\Data\Applications\Windows\MSS016AE.log
C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\DataStore\Logs\tmp.edb

Files [attributes?] modified:15
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Search\Data\Applications\Windows\GatherLogs\SystemIndex\SystemIndex.5.gthr
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Search\Data\Applications\Windows\MSS.log
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Search\Data\Applications\Windows\Projects\SystemIndex\SystemIndex.Ntfy10.gthr
C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\Cookies\index.dat
C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\Local Settings\History\History.IE5\index.dat
C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\index.dat
C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\ntuser.dat.LOG
C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\DataStore\DataStore.edb
C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\DataStore\Logs\edb.chk
C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\DataStore\Logs\edb.log
C:\WINDOWS\system32\CatRoot2\{127D0A1D-4EF2-11D1-8608-00C04FC295EE}\catdb
C:\WINDOWS\system32\CatRoot2\{F750E6C3-38EE-11D1-85E5-00C04FC295EE}\catdb
C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\default.LOG
C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\software.LOG
C:\WINDOWS\Tasks\User_Feed_Synchronization-{39448300-1B40-4EF3-9577-8EC695BD80AC}.job

Folders added:4
C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\7Y5QHT19
C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\GBTS5UGU
C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\MS1XWZBB
C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\U1MM9E22

Total changes:73
</pre>
Note I used a registry cleaner before doing the regshot so some of the files added are nothing relevant to PVD and can be ignored. From what I can see it seemed ok but again I suggest you post to the PortableApps.com Forum as their devs offer constant well mannered and support.

Thanks for taking the time to develop a PortableApps.com Format version of PVD:)

anything