Author Topic: Bulk Import Images to PVD from PC?  (Read 43987 times)

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
  • "I'm willing to shoot you!"
    • View Profile
Re: Bulk Import Images to PVD from PC?
« Reply #40 on: June 03, 2009, 09:29:02 pm »
I just noticed the Images by ID utility on the download page. I suppose it's been there a while. It's described as "program used to associate existing images on HDD with movies in the database." I assume this is relevant only to those who save their images outside the database. It seems the purpose of the utility is to assist new users who have existing data—including images.

This raises a question in my mind. Is it possible to start a database where images are saved outside the database, and after this utility is used to associate all existing images, change it so images are saved inside the database? If so, it seems to me this would be the best way to handle a conversion (i.e., data from another program) where images are involved. Once the conversion is complete, there would be little need for a script to do the same thing.

BTW, what happened with the script Reset was working on?

Offline nostra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Personal Video Database
« Reply #41 on: June 03, 2009, 09:46:37 pm »
his raises a question in my mind. Is it possible to start a database where images are saved outside the database, and after this utility is used to associate all existing images, change it so images are saved inside the database? If so, it seems to me this would be the best way to handle a conversion (i.e., data from another program) where images are involved. Once the conversion is complete, there would be little need for a script to do the same thing.

Of course, you just use this utility and then in PVD change the option "Save images in database".

I have no Idea, but I'll ask
Gentlemen, you can’t fight in here! This is the War Room!

Offline Reset

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 13, 2009, 05:45:34 am »
I make the sincere apologies for the undischarged promise.
Unfortunately, now I have less spare time, than earlier. I remember about this script. I will make him as soon as I will have a possibility.
If it will not make earlier.
Thanks for understanding.
Excuse for my English.

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 13, 2009, 06:32:57 am »
I make the sincere apologies for the undischarged promise.

No need to apologize—I was just curious.

Maybe the plugin you were thinking of would not be so necessary now that the Images by ID utility is available. Its not the same thing, but a new user could use it to get existing images into a database.

Offline patch

• Older Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 13, 2009, 12:38:50 pm »
Maybe the plugin you were thinking of would not be so necessary now that the Images by ID utility is available.
On this we disagree rick.ca unless I'm missing something.
You indicate Tag export/import (like ID3 for mp3) has been added, but unless I am mistaken, the functionality Reset was adding is actually part of this and not yet available.

So Reset, I would still very much appreciate any progress towards acheiving movie tagging functionality.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2009, 05:47:59 pm by rick.ca »

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 13, 2009, 06:17:05 pm »
On this we disagree rick.ca unless I'm missing something.

You might be missing the fact I'm not looking for any disagreement. ;)

It simply occurred to me a new user facing the one-time task of importing existing images into a new database would be able to use this utility, and then no longer have a need for Reset's plugin. If that's true, Reset may be able to tailor the design of his plugin more toward your particular needs.

I have no personal interest in this. I've always manually maintained posters "beside" my movie files. Now my media manager, Media Center (to be more precise, the PvdImport plugin recently created by raldo), does this automatically as it updates MC with PVD meta data.

Offline patch

• Older Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 14, 2009, 12:44:41 am »
I'm off topic here so have continued here
« Last Edit: June 14, 2009, 01:38:28 am by patch »