Author Topic: Importing Multiple Movies/Videos From CD, DVD, HD or Folder  (Read 12037 times)

Offline thesappho

• View Profile
Hello
First of thanks for creating such a great application.
I recently downloaded and installed.
I don't know (i couldn't find at least) if such a function is present:
* importing multiple movies at once, details as follows;
    I have a seperate HDD for movies and multiple DVDs which contains multiple movies (i am sure most of people have likely setup).

Problem1: There're 200+ movies in the hdd. When i select import main title and point to folder it only imports one movie
Solution1: Now that i realized that from preferences and folders it imports all movies one by one.
OK i solved my first problem :)

Now here's the remaining problem:
Problem2: I've given numbers for all my DVDs. For example DVD #1 contains Matrix movies (The MAtrix, Matrix Reloaded...). Is there an option to scan DVDs (just like the Folders option in Problem1 :)) find movies in the DVD and Label them?
So that when I double click a movie it will show corresponding DVD # :)

Offline nostra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Personal Video Database
Re: Importing Multiple Movies/Videos From CD, DVD, HD or Folder
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2008, 06:51:30 pm »
You can scan any folder or disc in the same way you did with hdd. Just put the dvd into the drive, wait for a dialog to appear in PVD and select Scan files. You can index movies automatically using options in Tools -> Preferences -> Movies or manually by setting a value to the ID field.
Gentlemen, you can’t fight in here! This is the War Room!

Offline discourteous

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2009, 09:05:43 pm »
I hope bumping existing "relevant" thread it's not against the rules (and I've read 'Read this first' :)).

*PVD 0.9.9.9
*Windows XP

Problem: Tools -> Scan folders for new movies
1: doesn't add all movies in (sub)folder(s)
2: preserves folder structure only for some movies (ie. PVD doesn't leave most of them in their subfolders, but forces them into "root" dir)
3 (not a real problem, but connected with 2): is it possible to preserve directories for all added files (ie. just leave them as they are in Windows Explorer)?

Anyway, kudos to Alexander for a really neat program. ;)

Offline nostra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2009, 09:42:51 pm »
I am not sure what you mean? PVD does not change your folder structure at all.
You you explain exactly what you mean. Screenshots would be very helpful.

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
  • "I'm willing to shoot you!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2009, 09:52:10 pm »
I hope you won't mind if I welcome you to the forum, discourteous.  ;)

I hope bumping existing "relevant" thread it's not against the rules

No, but it can be annoying when it causes the reader to ask themselves, "Why is this relevant?," only to find it's not. It's usually better to start a new topic when the old topic is this old.

You'll have to provide more details about the type of files you are scanning, the folder structure, and the path names the scanner is  saving (or proposing to). It will add all movies—that the regular expressions in your configuration are able to recognize. It does not change any path or filenames, so if the those recorded are different than what you see in Explorer—that's an error (the likes of which I've not seen before).

Offline patch

• Older Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2009, 10:49:12 pm »
Problem: Tools -> Scan folders for new movies
1: doesn't add all movies in (sub)folder(s)
2: preserves folder structure only for some movies (ie. PVD doesn't leave most of them in their subfolders, but forces them into "root" dir)
3 (not a real problem, but connected with 2): is it possible to preserve directories for all added files (ie. just leave them as they are in Windows Explorer)?

PVD does not ever display the explorer file structure when browsing movies.
It displays in a flat file structure then add it's own structures (See tree view, series)

The only time explorer file structure applies is when selecting a folder to scan or showing path to files on disk.

Offline patch

• Older Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2009, 12:59:41 pm »

This is probably best done by making "Path" one of the tree view options.
It should be implemented so a high level directory could be selected and all movies in that directory and below are displayed (implemented by an "all" entry added to each directory level or selecting directory name).

As such it is actually a useful suggestion if it is not too hard to implement. Unfortunately I suspect it would not be trivial as it would imply a variable number of sub-levels dependant on the users file structure.

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
  • "I'm willing to shoot you!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2009, 08:23:21 pm »
Someday, I hope to see a Rename files from database feature. As that would logically/necessarily include changing path names, this would be a useful companion feature—so the user can "see" what he is doing.

Offline discourteous

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2009, 10:33:58 am »
I am not sure what you mean? PVD does not change your folder structure at all.
You you explain exactly what you mean. Screenshots would be very helpful.

Will there be Group by -> Path option for the Tree View?

Another suggestion: When choosing directories in popup menu of Tools -> Scan folders for new movies (unintended) checkbox selection at Desktop "freezes" PVD (as PVD 'a priori' searches all subfolders?). Why doesn't it index subfolders after the selection has been confirmed?

Offline patch

• Older Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2009, 05:09:19 am »
This is probably best done by making "Path" one of the tree view options.
It should be implemented so a high level directory could be selected and all movies in that directory and below are displayed (implemented by an "all" entry added to each directory level or selecting directory name).
On reflection this is going to have to wait till grid view is implemented.
The reason is, for this to work, the tree selection needs to be separate from the record display.
ie select in left hand panel what sub tree you want to look at-> results displayed in main right hand panel.

IMO it would be a good way of browsing any/all of the tree view displays

Offline nostra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2009, 11:20:59 pm »
I want to add such way of grouping for a long time already, but it is too complicated to implement and very few users requested it, so I never come to really work on this feature. Some time in future it will be there.  ;)

anything