Author Topic: AllMovie.com (movies)  (Read 41937 times)

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
  • "I'm willing to shoot you!"
    • View Profile
Re: AllMovie.com (movies)
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2009, 01:14:24 am »
I have poor vision, but I live and learn.

Are you aware of the "full page zoom" feature in the current versions of Firefox, Opera and IE? Using that, you can enlarge everything (i.e., images and graphics—like an attachment icon—as well as text). In Firefox, Ctrl++/Ctrl+- enlarge/reduce, or you can put icons on a toolbar to do so.

Offline tantrum829

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2009, 04:17:14 am »
Okay. Sorry I will post a better screenshot but what if I uninstall, download and install again. Are the new scripts included in the latest version? Will I loose everything I have so far?  http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/9274/screenshot004l.png

I see there is a backup option. Will that work like it sounds? It took me forever to add all my movies.

To be honest I dont understand why its like that.  I installed the program and then moved the icon to a folder called movies and it was working just fine until the other day.

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2009, 05:51:06 am »
Re-installing won't help. In any case, no, the installation package does not include this updated script. You need to slow down and try to gain a better understanding of how your operating system works. If it took you "forever" to build your database, you should not be referring to backup as an "option." Sooner or later, your database will become corrupt, and you will not be able to fix it. If you don't have backup, all will be lost. But even backup won't help you if you don't even know where your data and backup files are stored. So...

Use Explorer's details view—so it actually provides some useful information about files and folders. Is the "Movies" folder your PVD installation directory, or is it something else? Do you see viddb.exe there? Navigate to Computer - Hard Drive - Program Files. Do you see a "Personal Video Database" folder there? If so, is viddb.exe there? Does the folder have "Plugins," "Scripts" and "Skins" sub-folders? Are your plugins, scripts and skins there, or only in your "Movies" folder? And—most importantly—where is your data file? Before you do anything else (using Explorer), you need to find that, and make a copy of it. Making a copy of your data file is actually easier, faster and more efficient way to create a backup than the backup feature in the program.

Offline tantrum829

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2009, 06:16:32 am »
First of all I appreciate your patience. Okay I dont find it in program files to be honest this is how I remember it. I downloaded the program to my desktop and I changed the name of folder to Movies and the I changed the folder icon. When I click on the folder I get this   http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/3729/screenshot005x.png

Here it is in detailed view    http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/2827/screenshot006e.png

I then Run Viddb.exe and it runs.

It sounds like I didnt do it right the first time. so any help is appreciated.

Offline tantrum829

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2009, 06:34:14 am »
I was able to get it to work. I opened the old file in notepad deleted everything and copy pasted the text on the new script on the old and now its working fine.

Im not sure that was the right way to do it but it seems to have worked. thanks for all the help.

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2009, 09:32:44 am »
I can assure you that you can install PVD wherever you want, and, if a valid script with a PSF extension is placed in the \Scripts subfolder of that directory, it will be recognized by the program.

QED. Although running it from the desktop is a rather extreme demonstration.  ;)

I don't know why you had a problem over-writing the old script with the new one. If you had used Explorer in detail view, however, you could have easily seen which was which (perhaps Windows changed the extension, so it wouldn't have to overwrite the existing file). Then it would have been a simple matter to delete the old file, and rename the new one. The point of my earlier rant was, in a misguided attempt to make things "easier," Vista obscures straightforward information you need to know and understand in order to maintain your system properly.

Offline tantrum829

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2009, 06:51:01 am »
Basically that was the issue. No matter how many times I downloaded it or where I saved it the script would always show up as a .txt file and not overwriting the old one since they where different ext. Maybe it was a vista thing but I am just relieved that its working now.

Thanks for the help.

Offline HeadHancho

• View Profile
    • Murphy Fine Arts
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2009, 09:42:31 pm »
This new script was downloaded and used to overwrite the previous one... it does remove the error message but sadly it has a very low success rate (50:50 at best) of identifying the film from the titles I have.  Has anyone else experienced this?  Often, I'm getting a list of possible titles but nothing close to what I am looking for.

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2009, 11:48:50 pm »
Yes, that why nostra said "The problems with search results will be fixed in the program itself a bit later." I don't know why, but it's obviously not something that can be addressed in the script itself.

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2009, 11:54:57 pm »
And now back to my questions... ;)
Is a date function available? I would like to be able to save the current date in a custom Date updated field.

Now that I'm running out of new things to add, I'm eyeing the Similar Works section (under Plot Synopsis). Is it possible to grab that list and add the movies to PVD's Connections (as a separate section, I suppose)—or is that beyond the scope of a script?

Offline nostra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Personal Video Database
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2009, 12:25:28 am »
It is possible to fill any field with a script.

The "last modified" field will be available in 0.9.9.5
Gentlemen, you can’t fight in here! This is the War Room!

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2009, 02:17:03 am »
It is possible to fill any field with a script.

I need to be more careful with that word, "possible." Consider it my contribution to your "Things to think about doing when I have nothing better to think about doing" TODO list. ;)

The "last modified" field will be available in 0.9.9.5

Great! I assume that will be a field the program will update whenever a plugin or script adds any information to the record.

Should I still want to get the current date in a script, however, is a date function available?

Offline nostra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Personal Video Database
« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2009, 02:36:06 am »
Great! I assume that will be a field the program will update whenever a plugin or script adds any information to the record.

This field will be updated each time a plugin or user updates one of the fields.

Should I still want to get the current date in a script, however, is a date function available?

Sure. (I need to find some time and post detailed instructions for scripting, templates and skins)
Here are the Date/time functions:

Code: [Select]
function CurrentDateTime : Extended;

function DateToStr(Value : Extended) : WideString;

function TimeToStr(Value : Extended) : WideString;

function EncDate(Year, Month, Day : Word): Extended;

function EncTime(Hour, Min, Sec : Word): Extended;

procedure DecdTime(const Time: Extended; var Hour, Min, Sec: Word);

procedure DecdDate(const Date: Extended; var Year, Month, Day: Word);

function StrToDateW(const S: WideString): Extended;

function StrToTimeW(const S: WideString): Extended;
Gentlemen, you can’t fight in here! This is the War Room!

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2009, 07:12:00 am »
Sure. (I need to find some time and post detailed instructions for scripting, templates and skins)
Here are the Date/time functions:

Thanks! I've "fixed" my script. My date Updated field will be somewhat redundant with Last modified, but it might be useful to have a separate date for when the AllMovie+ script was last run.

Detailed instructions would be nice, but when you spoon-feed me like this, my head is less likely to explode. :D

Offline darichman

• User
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2009, 02:49:32 am »
Okay I have a few days off now, so I'm revisiting my movie metadata (yay!)

First of all, thanks for updating the allmovie script, nostra. I'll see how I go...

Offline Roland6543

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2009, 02:33:16 am »
Well, I'm with Two Wire.... I cant see the link for the script anywhere ??? Not even any faint colored hyperlink.

Of course (and hopefully) someone will point out the error of my ways and I'll feel like a humiliated noob.

Offline darichman

• User
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 22, 2009, 03:18:57 am »

Offline Roland6543

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 22, 2009, 04:06:52 am »
LOL!!! I swear it wasnt there before, but is now. :o

I think the link only appears once you register. In other words:
We search the forums.
We find a thread which seems to solve our problem.
We spend a frustrated 1/2 hr trying to find the "missing link".
We try to post a question, but cant until we register - which we proceed to do.
Soon therafter some friendly person tells us that its in the first post of the thread (exactly where we couldnt find it in the first place)
We rush off and check the thread again..... and..... Now that we have registered the link miraculously appears.
We feel like a humiliated noob!!!

And it works!!!!   Hahaha   :) Gotta love it.

Thanks for the help everyone. Great software.

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 22, 2009, 04:44:13 am »
We feel like a humiliated noob!!!

Well, don't. You solved a mystery for me. Next time I post something, maybe I'll explain, "Here a great script, but you can't have it, or even see it, until you log in!" ;D

Offline blue334

• User
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 04, 2009, 11:22:21 am »
It seems this script isn't working at the moment (yes I have the latest version).
I doesn't retrieve correct titles for any movie starting with a common word. I'm also getting a lot of division by zero errors on the ratings.

Check out PKs MovieDB dynamic web template - exported from PVD: My site

anything