English > Feature Suggestions

Vote: Features for 0.9.9

<< < (3/39) > >>

nostra:

--- Quote from: rick.ca on July 04, 2008, 08:51:11 pm ---
--- Quote ---I think I'll make some kind of skins engine working with xml files where you can define positions, sizes, colors etc. for different UI controls.
--- End quote ---

Is this going to be user-friendly enough for those of us who go brain-dead in face of anything vaguely resembling code? I suppose I'm thinking of my experience with other "skinnable" software. It rarely makes any difference to me because I don't believe I have the ability or patience to create my own skin. Note I'm speaking from complete ignorance. Perhaps a skin specified as an xml file is the sort of thing I can figure out by following an example or template.

--- End quote ---

Most  probably it will be similar to HTML templates, so if you can create/edit templates you will be able to create/edit skins.

Theoretically, I could create a separate "Skin Constructor" application to make it easier, but it is much work, so I'll add the skins engine to PVD first and maybe some time later there will be some kind of constructor application as well.

Fahd:
The "scan folders for new movies/changed paths" allows you to add files in a directory as new movies. It would be neat if on the "scan results" page that shows up if you had say a drop down list of all items, so you could add the files as episodes to an item. Next to each file you could also have the option to specify episode number, and season number. Perhaps also some way to change the season number for all files on that page to the same value; so if all files were episodes of season 3, rather than tagging each as season 3 individually, there would be a "set all epsidoes to season: ?" option. The episode numbers for each file would be filled out autmatically according to their alpabetical position (i.e. aaa.avi would have episode number 1, and zzz.avi would have the higest number).

nostra:

--- Quote from: Fahd on July 05, 2008, 09:51:58 am ---The "scan folders for new movies/changed paths" allows you to add files in a directory as new movies. It would be neat if on the "scan results" page that shows up if you had say a drop down list of all items, so you could add the files as episodes to an item. Next to each file you could also have the option to specify episode number, and season number. Perhaps also some way to change the season number for all files on that page to the same value; so if all files were episodes of season 3, rather than tagging each as season 3 individually, there would be a "set all epsidoes to season: ?" option. The episode numbers for each file would be filled out autmatically according to their alpabetical position (i.e. aaa.avi would have episode number 1, and zzz.avi would have the higest number).

--- End quote ---

Actually, episodes support and many more additional settings for "scan folders for new movies/changed paths" is what I meant with "Customizable file scanner".

carlsbox:

--- Quote from: nostra on July 04, 2008, 07:54:12 am ---
--- Quote from: ewit on July 03, 2008, 09:59:12 pm ---I would also be great with a optional external database like mysql, so when you already have a sql database, you can just use that.
That would also make it useable from multiple computers on a network.

--- End quote ---

Client-Server functionality is already on the list. You can also install Firebird on a Linux web server easily and access the database from a php script. (one Russian user has already done this :) I am also sure that there are tools available to convert firebird databases to mysql.

--- End quote ---

I'd like to do something similar, could you please point me in the right direction to the Firebird database and access to it? Is there a plan to be able to share a database between 2 applications? i.e. My housemate and i share a movie collection and would like to maintain it without having to keep exporting and importing to each other's installations of PVD. Possibility of unbundling the database from the viewer application (ala Model-View-Controller idea)?

patch:

--- Quote from: carlsbox on July 06, 2008, 09:45:38 pm ---My housemate and i share a movie collection and would like to maintain it without having to keep exporting and importing to each other's installations of PVD.

--- End quote ---

That is what ID3 tagging (& scanning shared file servers) or client server version of PVD is aimed at addressing

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version