39 (5.4%)
Read only version of PVD
33 (4.6%)
Tag export/import (like ID3 for mp3)
29 (4%)
Preferred release title (more info)
22 (3.1%)

Total Members Voted: 146

Author Topic: Vote: Features for 0.9.9  (Read 196432 times)

Offline patch

• Older Power User
    • View Profile
Re: Vote: Features for 0.9.9
« Reply #120 on: October 21, 2008, 06:46:01 am »
1. Unattended Import - I guess this would only really be useful for people such as myself who are new to this app and have quite a few movies to import. But it would be great if it could just scan a folder and automatically select the best match. Then I could go back through and double check at my convenience, rather than have to keep clicking ok all the time. For people who are importing a number of new movies to an existing database perhaps there could be a field to note that the data was unconfirmed.
Go to Tools-> Preferences-> Plugins
Select "Silent mode for all plugins"
Run your batch import
Then uncheck the above option brior to editing the problem entries
2. More info in message windows when importing (or ability to see the main window) - as I write this I am importing movies (as I said above) and it is a bit of a pain that I can't see the file that the found info refers to. Some are quite obvious, but others - well who knows?? There seems to be no way of getting back to the main window while it is scanning folders/downloading data. This means that any I'm not sure about I need to skip and hopefully there is someway of downloading info for them individually (I'm assuming there is).
After choosing "Scan folders for new movies / changed file paths"
Edit the "Title" and or "Original title" so a IMDB lookup has a reasonable chance of success
If you are not in silent mode you can then view the web page PVD suggests linking too & see its full file path

Not sure if this is how you are currently using PVD, but it works OK for me 

Offline JedMeister

• View Profile
« Reply #121 on: October 21, 2008, 08:02:30 am »
Hey patch thanks heaps for your fast response. I just came back here because I'd discovered the silent option and was going to edit my post! Too slow!

Thanks again and thanks for the answer to my other query!

Offline ice

• View Profile
« Reply #122 on: November 02, 2008, 07:40:54 pm »
Any news on the server-client version?

Offline Jan_Mel

• View Profile
« Reply #123 on: November 08, 2008, 11:54:52 pm »
This is THE BEST Personal Video Database around! The only suggestion I have is to allow for full display of comments as a settings option (the "+") is hard to find.... :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
  • "I'm willing to shoot you!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: November 09, 2008, 12:50:41 am »
Welcome to the forum, Jan_Mel.

The "+" is particularly hard to find using a remote control. I've suggested a command be added to expand/collapse all collapsible fields at once—because I think that's the best way to deal with them using a remote. If such a command were available (in 0.9.9, it would be a menu item you could assign a keyboard shortcut and/or toolbar icon to), would you still want such an option?

In 0.9.9, the visual aspects of the information panels are controlled by skins. So, if possible, this option would best be handled by a skin parameter for the initial state of a collapsible field. Then it could be used to expand any collapsible field.

Offline woosha

• View Profile
« Reply #125 on: December 08, 2008, 01:37:14 pm »
Fantastic program ;D I have tested over a dozen movie catalogs in the last week and this one is clearly the best. It already has all the features I was looking for and more.

The one feature I would like to see implemented is a subtitle retriever which would detect the number of divx files and rename the subtitle files to match the movie files so that my player (VLC) would detect and use them automatically.

Offline nostra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Personal Video Database
« Reply #126 on: December 08, 2008, 04:11:33 pm »
Do you want PVD to search and download subtitles for you or just find existing ones on HDD and rename?
Gentlemen, you can’t fight in here! This is the War Room!

Offline overdose

• View Profile
« Reply #127 on: December 10, 2008, 09:59:33 am »
Hy!

Only 1 things missing for me in this nice app. Imdb vote number.
Is it possible that it will be including into PVD?
thx

Offline nostra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: December 10, 2008, 11:58:16 am »
I have votes in my todo list, so it will be possible some time.

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: December 10, 2008, 12:15:09 pm »
Since you're working on your list... I'll vote for this, and while you're at it, please add the Top 250 rank (that appears right after the vote count). And since both these change over time, this would be another good reason to make available the date the movie was last updated by a download.

Offline nostra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: December 10, 2008, 01:03:04 pm »
please add the Top 250 rank (that appears right after the vote count)

OK, good idea

And since both these change over time, this would be another good reason to make available the date the movie was last updated by a download.

I can't guarantee this for 0.9.9, but I will try to add the last updated field as soon as possible.

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: December 10, 2008, 01:23:07 pm »
I will try to add the last updated field

Just so I can be satisfied I understand myself... :-\  I was assuming this would be a an "internal"  database date that you would make available for display, but I suppose it could be a field like any other that is updated when a plugin is run. Now I'm wondering whether or not it should be editable.

Offline nostra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: December 10, 2008, 01:48:40 pm »
I was assuming this would be a an "internal"  database date that you would make available for display, but I suppose it could be a field like any other that is updated when a plugin is run.

there is no such internal database field. I have to add a normal field and decide if I make it visible/editable/etc.

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: December 10, 2008, 09:43:04 pm »
I have to add a normal field and decide if I make it visible/editable/etc.

I suppose if you don't foresee it being relied upon by some other feature (e.g., a script that needs to know the "correct" date/time last updated) it should be a normal editable field. Then users might change it to suit their own circumstances (e.g., changing a date to the future, so the movie is not selected for updating next time).

As I've mentioned before, I'm more looking forward to having such a field for people—so there is a way of selecting those likely in need of updating.

Offline Jan_Mel

• View Profile
« Reply #134 on: December 14, 2008, 11:30:06 pm »
New feature for you:

I would like to search within the search results as well.

Or alternatively, allow an expanded search by Tag, Category and/or Genre. This would greatly narrow down the results.

:D

Offline Jan_Mel

• View Profile
« Reply #135 on: December 14, 2008, 11:38:03 pm »
forget I said anything. Justfound adanced search... :-[

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: December 15, 2008, 12:37:38 am »
How about Feature Search;D

Offline AimHere

• Older Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: December 18, 2008, 02:49:27 am »
Going along with the idea of an "append database" function as shown in the poll, I would like the ability to SPLIT a database, or more to the point, the ability to select a number of records (via clicking, search, or whatever) and save them directly to a new database. I understand that I could export to a CSV file, start a new database, then import from the CSV, but this approach involves extra steps and might not properly transfer all the database info if the export template isn't set up just right.

From the user's perspective, it would be easier to have a built-in feature that just saves all selected records as a new database, automatically including all fields (including custom ones).  Right now, the only real way to achieve the same functionality is to "save as" to a new file, then select and delete all the records I don't want.

AimHere

Offline nostra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: December 18, 2008, 02:52:03 am »
Going along with the idea of an "append database" function as shown in the poll, I would like the ability to SPLIT a database, or more to the point, the ability to select a number of records (via clicking, search, or whatever) and save them directly to a new database. I understand that I could export to a CSV file, start a new database, then import from the CSV, but this approach involves extra steps and might not properly transfer all the database info if the export template isn't set up just right.

From the user's perspective, it would be easier to have a built-in feature that just saves all selected records as a new database, automatically including all fields (including custom ones).  Right now, the only real way to achieve the same functionality is to "save as" to a new file, then select and delete all the records I don't want.

AimHere

Agree, added to my TODO list

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: December 18, 2008, 06:01:37 am »
Right now, the only real way to achieve the same functionality is to "save as" to a new file, then select and delete all the records I don't want.

I presume the "new feature" would make a copy of the file, permanently delete the unwanted records and resulting orphans, and compress the result. But this can already be done easily and with complete control over the process. So there's no need to wait for this feature to split a database. I agree this is a logical companion to the append function, but the ability to append is all we really need.

anything