39 (5.4%)
Read only version of PVD
33 (4.6%)
Tag export/import (like ID3 for mp3)
29 (4%)
Preferred release title (more info)
22 (3.1%)

Total Members Voted: 146

Author Topic: Vote: Features for 0.9.9  (Read 196400 times)

Offline phalox

• View Profile
Re: Vote: Features for 0.9.9
« Reply #160 on: January 27, 2009, 03:18:37 pm »
I was wondering if there are some kind of plans to make movie importation more automatical ??

I mean if I have some kind of rip from a know ripper... Let's say Axxo. Then the name becomes [name] "axxo". Isn't there a way to remove "axxo" automatically ? Another usefull thing could be a readout from the .nfo files. There's allways a link to the imdb page of the movie.
What else: read the folder name. I think there are many people who name the folders as they should, but leave the file as it was.

Next to that a server-client version would be great... but I see that you won't be using any existing hosting based databases ?
An example: use Mysql to store all the data. This would be a great feature, since I have a NAS with integrated webserver...

Is it possible to add subtitle support ? Something like the checkbox for the 'watched' status. And this for multiple languages.

And the last thing that comes in mind: a possibiliy to make PVD data-files per movie. Wich contains one or more links and the name (and maybe some other data) for 1 movie. When you double click on it, it PVD opens, and asks if you want to add the file to your database.
This is something that would make partial transfers between databases really easy!

I must say that this is software with great potential. And now already a great set of features!

Offline nostra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Personal Video Database
« Reply #161 on: January 27, 2009, 05:10:58 pm »
I mean if I have some kind of rip from a know ripper... Let's say Axxo. Then the name becomes [name] "axxo". Isn't there a way to remove "axxo" automatically ?

No problem with RegExp in 0.9.9.4 beta

Another useful thing could be a readout from the .nfo files. There's allways a link to the imdb page of the movie.
What else: read the folder name. I think there are many people who name the folders as they should, but leave the file as it was.

You can change the Textfile script to read any kind of text files. See Creating own scripts.

Next to that a server-client version would be great... but I see that you won't be using any existing hosting based databases ?
An example: use Mysql to store all the data. This would be a great feature, since I have a NAS with integrated webserver...

Supporting different kinds of DB eingines would make the program too complicated for me to program and for users to use. If you need such functionality take a look at Kroozbox - PVD to media theatre solution and PK's MovieDB dynamic website template

Is it possible to add subtitle support ? Something like the checkbox for the 'watched' status. And this for multiple languages.

There is already support for subtitles, multiple languages, wish and many more things ;) Just play with the program a little bit more.

And the last thing that comes in mind: a possibiliy to make PVD data-files per movie. Wich contains one or more links and the name (and maybe some other data) for 1 movie. When you double click on it, it PVD opens, and asks if you want to add the file to your database.
This is something that would make partial transfers between databases really easy!

It seems like this is the same as "Tag export/import (like ID3 for mp3)" requested by patch.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2009, 10:41:20 pm by rick.ca »
Gentlemen, you can’t fight in here! This is the War Room!

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
  • "I'm willing to shoot you!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: January 27, 2009, 10:01:54 pm »
It seems like this is the same as "Tag export/import (like ID3 for mp3)" requested by patch.

The desired functionality might also be provided by the split and append/join features we've discussed before. If it's about sharing movie entries between databases (especially those of different users), this method is particularly appropriate. The tag import/export idea is about getting the movie reference right. The other user/database can then download whatever information they want. That doesn't help much if the point is to share the information that has been collected. The easiest and most effective way to do this would be to split (save in a new database) selected movies, and then be able to append this new database to another.

Nostra, you've indicated this is on your TODO list, but is it going to make it into 0.9.9? It seems my database has become too unwieldy for my tired old computer, but I don't even want to think about splitting it until I have the means to exchange records between databases. I'm thinking I could split my "Wish list" movies (about half) to a separate database, then move them into my main database as I acquire or plan to acquire them.

BTW, it occurs to me one of the complications you have to consider is the handling of custom fields. If a custom field does not exist in the target, would it be added, or would the data be omitted? I suppose another option would be to dump data from unmatched custom fields into the comments field.

Offline patch

• Older Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: January 28, 2009, 12:17:38 am »
The tag import/export idea is about getting the movie reference right. The other user/database can then download whatever information they want. That doesn't help much if the point is to share the information that has been collected.
Depends what is in the exported tag and how the functionality is implemented.
If it was user editable custom fields could in theory be added.

The easiest and most effective way to do this would be to split (save in a new database) selected movies, and then be able to append this new database to another.
I agree if the task is for a one off transfer of data, especially if the movie files are not being also shared.
If the data transfer occurs many times (with small incremental changes as additional movie files are shared over a network or remote site), then tagging the movie files would probably be easier for the user.

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: January 28, 2009, 01:24:12 am »
Depends what is in the exported tag and how the functionality is implemented.

The functionality I'm referring to is the sharing of all the information for a movie, exactly as it appears in the source data base, and quite intentionally not depending on anything else. The simplest case—copying entire records from one database to another—I  would expect to be a straightforward Firebird utility function. But that's a technical matter beyond my understanding. If it had to be done as an export/import tag information operation, I'd be surprised, but I wouldn't care—I'm only interested in the end result.

The tag import/export idea is about getting the movie reference right...

...so once download sources for information and images have been determined, other databases sharing the same media files don't have to search for and determine this information again.

These are different features for different purposes. I suppose we could conjure up situations where they overlap, but I don't see any benefit in doing so. I think both would be useful.

Offline mntzion2000

• View Profile
« Reply #165 on: April 12, 2009, 05:35:09 am »
Hello,

I was just wondering if you were still going to have the grid view again? I see it came in 2nd place in the voting area.

Thankz

Offline nostra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: April 12, 2009, 11:47:09 am »
Hello,

I was just wondering if you were still going to have the grid view again? I see it came in 2nd place in the voting area.

Thankz

It is planned to get Grid view back, but the feature does not seem to fit in my TODO for the current version. I'll do my best to implement Grid view in 1.0

Offline mntzion2000

• View Profile
« Reply #167 on: April 12, 2009, 10:27:55 pm »
Thank you for your reply,

BTW, this is a great program! thank you for all of your hardwork.

Offline hojon234

• View Profile
« Reply #168 on: April 26, 2009, 06:20:39 pm »
Drag 'N' Drop from Hard Drive to Data Base

Offline nostra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: April 26, 2009, 07:15:08 pm »
Drag 'N' Drop from Hard Drive to Data Base

Is already on my TODO list.

Offline abowloffire

• View Profile
« Reply #170 on: April 30, 2009, 04:15:28 am »
Two suggestions:

1. An option to display Japanese, Chinese, and Korean names LAST NAME FIRST (as it should be). Nobody calls Wong Kar Wai "Kar Wai Wong". This is one of the things that really annoys me about imdb, and all my databases are in this order.

2. When importing from Excel, allow multiple fields that combine multiple columns into that one field. For example, some Excel sheets might separate "genre" or "description" into multiple fields. Right now it's impossible to import this correctly. In my case, I rate each film's Plot, Cast, Cinematography, Music, and Entertainment value. Right now there's no way for me to import these ratings correctly, I think.

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: April 30, 2009, 07:41:46 am »
Welcome to the forum, abowloffire.

1. I don't see any way to do this automatically, so I suppose what's needed is something like a checkbox field in the people record for reversing the order. Is that the sort of thing you have in mind?

2. If you want multiple columns in Excel to go into one field, just concatenate them and import the result. You can create as many custom rating fields as you like. I believe the rating field type is a ten-star field like the standard rating fields, so you may need to convert your ratings to a 10-point scale.

Offline nostra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: April 30, 2009, 11:29:51 am »
1. An option to display Japanese, Chinese, and Korean names LAST NAME FIRST (as it should be). Nobody calls Wong Kar Wai "Kar Wai Wong". This is one of the things that really annoys me about imdb, and all my databases are in this order.

There are no last or first names for an application. This is your interpretation of characters in a certain order. There is no possibility to distinguish these programmatically without building some kind of dictionary. It is unlikely for such feature to be implemented in near future, sorry.

Offline abowloffire

• View Profile
« Reply #173 on: April 30, 2009, 12:44:25 pm »
Yeah, I guess I'll just have to get used to it. :P

The only way I can imagine this to work, is if the People section can also include a "Nationality", which can allow you to reverse the order of the names with Japanese, Chinese, and Korean nationalities.  Just an idea though.

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: May 01, 2009, 08:36:48 am »
There is no possibility to distinguish these programmatically without building some kind of dictionary.

This is why I thought a simple "switch" that would cause the first word of the name (as stored) to be moved to the end (for displaying) would probably be the best solution. Once we have a generalized multiple record edit function (and perhaps Advanced Search for people), most of these people could be selected by Birthplace and other criteria, and the switch set. Then those who have westernized their name (John Woo) or are just better known "backwards" (Akira Kurosawa) can be unset.

Something to consider for the "Develop Asian markets" TODO list. ;)

Offline patch

• Older Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: May 06, 2009, 01:35:55 pm »
Late addition.
Inclusion of number of people rating is based on would be useful.
Sorting by this field would show main stream to niche movies.
Also provides some indication of reliability of the rating.

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: May 08, 2009, 05:26:19 am »

+2 ;)

Thinking of IMDB Rank: is it not better to download count of votes in an extra field and then use this information with rating
for a "personal IMDB rank" using filters?

Offline Brianized

• View Profile
« Reply #177 on: May 10, 2009, 11:19:21 pm »
+3

Maybe in general the option to choose what part of the rating information to download. [number of votes, median vote, etc.]

Offline pumpkinbear1

• View Profile
« Reply #178 on: May 15, 2009, 02:33:07 am »
Hi,
  I like your Personal Video Database a lot and all the new features your putting. I just have one request on the Appearance Tab. On the old 9.7 you can change the background information, on the new 9.9 you can't change the color, it's light blue. What I'm trying to say I liked it when you can change the backgroung color. I HOPE you put all the background color features back. On the rest your doing a VERY GOOD JOB, I like the new features your putting in it and I can't wait to use it. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK.  :)

Thank You !
   Pumpkinbear1

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: May 15, 2009, 05:27:13 am »
Welcome to the forum, pb.

Skins are now fully customizable—including field placement, fonts and background colors. Not only that, but you can have a different background color for as many "sections" as you want—so it's not possible to have a preference setting to change "background color."

I'll post an explanation of how to change the background color to Theater View Skin. There's an illustration there of what I'm referring to.