39 (5.4%)
Read only version of PVD
33 (4.6%)
Tag export/import (like ID3 for mp3)
29 (4%)
Preferred release title (more info)
22 (3.1%)

Total Members Voted: 146

Author Topic: Vote: Features for 0.9.9  (Read 196422 times)

Offline nostra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Personal Video Database
Re: Vote: Features for 0.9.9
« Reply #40 on: July 31, 2008, 09:25:04 pm »
How about an Eject after read finished with DVD option?

OK, I'll this Option to my TODO list
Gentlemen, you can’t fight in here! This is the War Room!

Offline kri kri

• User
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 31, 2008, 10:40:28 pm »
Could you add support for TheTVDB.com?

API is here:

http://thetvdb.com/wiki/index.php/Programmers_API

I think it is the best place for info for TV Series on the internet.

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
  • "I'm willing to shoot you!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 31, 2008, 11:17:22 pm »
Could you add support for TheTVDB.com?

It would be nice to have something better than IMDb for TV series. Especially after we're burnt-out from beta testing 0.9.9, and the fall season is upon us. ;D

Offline nostra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 31, 2008, 11:54:49 pm »
Looks promising. I'll play with this API a bit when I have time for it.

Offline kri kri

• User
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 01, 2008, 01:27:46 am »
If you could possible use their banners, that would really be awesome.

Thanks again.  :P

Offline ice

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 09, 2008, 12:10:26 am »
I second rick.ca, this is simply the best video database software I have found. I've just started using it and love it.

I have two suggestions for the next version (where i'm really looking forward to the server-client functionality);

1. User management and access rights. Here I think it would be good to have the possability to control what individual users can do in regards to editing data but more importantly I think it would be very usefull to control what a user can see (and watch by pressing play). By this parents could for example exclude rated movies or certain categories from their kids.

2. When viewing people and downloading it's data from for example imdb I think it should be optional whether a movie is added to your database if it is clicked. I found out that if I do so the movie is outomatically added to the database as it was a movie in my collection. I feel it would be better that if a I click a movie from some actor's page that it would divert me to the imdb browser in stead of creating the movie in my database (except of course if it is already in there).

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 09, 2008, 01:06:05 am »
Welcome to the forum, ice. I'm a stand-alone-single-guy, so I'll move directly to your second suggestion. I like it. I've found it annoying that clicking on a link apparently adds the item to my database, but I hadn't thought of the useful alternative of going to the website. Just so you understand the program a little better... It's not actually "adding" the item. The item is already there—which is why the link appears. Selecting it is just changes it's visibility status. If you're curious about what's actually in your database, select Filters-Advanced-All. The numbers can be surprising. My 650-movie database has 85,000 movie records! I'm really impressed with your insight, however. One of the few bits of information stored in those records is the IMDb URL.  ;)

P.S. If the behaviour is changed, we would need another way to make the record visible—perhaps a link context menu item.

Offline nostra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 09, 2008, 01:16:44 am »
Tip: If a movie in filmography or a person in credits has an URL (it is always downloaded from IMDB, so probably it has) you can open the associated page in browser with CTRL+Click on a link ;)

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 09, 2008, 02:10:50 am »
Cool! So all you have to do is reverse the behaviour—Click for link to visible record (or IMDb for invisible record), CTRL+Click to make invisible record visible. Yes, that would eliminate the possibility of using a link to go directly to IMDb for items in (i.e., visible) in the database, but why would someone want to do that? Especially if (in 0.9.9) both the movie and people panes are going to be available at the same time—a direct link to IMDb will be visible in the other pane. I suppose some would not like clicks to activate external links, so perhaps a preference setting would be needed for this.

I should have mentioned before... Internal links are a different color than external—so one should not be surprised by what happens when a link is clicked. If a record is "accidentally" made visible, "deleting" it will make it invisible again.

Offline ice

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 13, 2008, 02:51:25 pm »
Tip: If a movie in filmography or a person in credits has an URL (it is always downloaded from IMDB, so probably it has) you can open the associated page in browser with CTRL+Click on a link ;)

Would you be willing to add a third parameter to the "Seen" and "Wish" in the top right corner and call it "Owned" and have the default setting contollable just like with the "Seen" parameter. This would solve the issue for me and I could stop being annoyed by movies being automatically added to my database. I would still be able to keep track of the ones I own.

Regards, Ice
« Last Edit: August 15, 2008, 02:25:15 pm by ice »

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 13, 2008, 08:07:18 pm »
Sorry for the 1st suggestion. I didn't notice it is there.
But I remeber it wasn't. When was it added?

Sorry, I'm not following you. Did you notice the posts here on August 8 about adding records? Perhaps that's what you're referring to, because there's no "add" function on the context menus. ???

02. Almost every time I want to click on "people", I click on "loan".

Me too. Thanks—I was too ashamed to mention it. :D

03. I can't find a way to import another poster...

Select alternate poster plugin you want to use from the Tools-Import menu. If you wish to add, rather than replace an existing poster, first click on the poster so an icon appears. Once there is more than one poster, use left/right clicks to select posters (or the icons which will appear below the posters), and the paper clip icon to set which one to display.

04. How about opening the poster using the Windows default viewer by double clicking it?

I don't see any advantages to this that would be worth the extra time it takes to load another viewer application. I'm assuming the "default viewer" would be whatever is associated with JPG images. I think a more useful feature would be the ability to open a poster (or any other image) in a specified editor, and for the edited version to be re-saved in the database. I have no idea if this is feasible, however.

05. Not very important but for the beauty...

It's already the best—it may as well be the prettiest as well. ;) Even if the stars are bigger, however, I think it would be difficult to select to 0.1 accuracy with a mouse. You can still (in edit mode) enter whatever you want in the rating field. I assign ratings to the tenth of a point (rather than a half), but often laugh at myself as I do so. Like it really has to be a 7.7, not a 7.5 or 8.0. ::) I remind myself the mouse selection is offering a 20-point rating scale, whereas professional reviewers stick to a 8 or 10-point scale.

Also how about a "New person Master?

What specific functionality are you looking for that is not available by just adding (and updating) a person? You may find you can add it by using a batch file to run several people information plugins or scripts a once. As a true relational database, the program is as capable of being a database of people with their related movies as it is a database of movies with their related people. But I've yet to hear of anyone using in this way, so there doesn't seem to be much demand to add "built-in" features that cater to that use.

Can you add the IMDb Top 250 and to be updated weekly or so?

I like this idea. I've use the ID field (because it's sortable and, for me, otherwise unused) to record the IMDb 250 rank. The ranking is dynamic, however, so it would be nice if I had a way to update this information. I think this would be handled best by a separate script that would download the entire list and update a user-specified field for any of the 250 that exist in the database. Hmmm. Maybe it's about time we started a script wish list (and begged louder for volunteers who are good at writing scripts!).

BTW, what I have done a few times is use Excel to parse the list into Title, Year and Rank fields, and import that into PVD to update the rankings. It works, but a script would be much less tedious.

When you delete a person from people...

Ctrl-Deleting a movie deletes it from the database, rather than just making it invisible. It may do the same with people, but I'm not sure if there's any practical difference between a Delete and a Ctrl-delete for people. Either way, the person deleted will no longer appear in movie records. When the movie records are updated, the deleted person will reappear—as long as they still meet the criteria in the plugin settings. I think the only practical way to deal with a concern about the amount people information in the database is to restrict what is downloaded using the plugin configuration. Once that is done, you pretty much have to let the program download the information it needs to maintain the movie/people relationships correctly. Over time, as you add and delete records, your database will get "cluttered" with (mainly invisible) orphaned and duplicate records. These can be removed by running Optimize Database.

May I continue with ideas or it is a bother?

In making my endless suggestions and questions, I've never seen the slightest hint that nostra is bothered. I'm sure he appreciates the input (as do other users, like me), and he seems pretty good at not being bothered when he had more important things to do. Right now, for example, I suspect he's busy putting the finishing touches on 0.9.9. So don't be disappointed if none of our recent suggestions are implemented. Once the beta is released, he's not going to add any major new features, but nosta listens to what beta testers have to say, and makes whatever improvements are practical and possible.

Offline nostra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 13, 2008, 10:49:54 pm »
02. Almost every time I want to click on "people", I click on "loan".

Me too. Thanks—I was too ashamed to mention it. Cheesy

It is planned to make the whole toolbar customizable in future.

I don't see any advantages to this that would be worth the extra time it takes to load another viewer application. I'm assuming the "default viewer" would be whatever is associated with JPG images. I think a more useful feature would be the ability to open a poster (or any other image) in a specified editor, and for the edited version to be re-saved in the database. I have no idea if this is feasible, however.

I wanted to see the exact quality of the poster. The preview of the program doesn't allow zooming (or that's what I can see).

I'll add zomming to my TODO list with low priority.

It's already the best—it may as well be the prettiest as well. Wink Even if the stars are bigger, however, I think it would be difficult to select to 0.1 accuracy with a mouse. You can still (in edit mode) enter whatever you want in the rating field. I assign ratings to the tenth of a point (rather than a half), but often laugh at myself as I do so. Like it really has to be a 7.7, not a 7.5 or 8.0. Roll Eyes I remind myself the mouse selection is offering a 20-point rating scale, whereas professional reviewers stick to a 8 or 10-point scale.

I was talking about the imported IMDb rating and they should be bigger to be able to see the 0.1 differences. No big deal. But the stars have got to be a bit more attractive. Don't want to mention the enemies Grin but, have you seen those of EMDB  Cheesy

I do not think it is important enough to spent my time, but if you create those stars I could change stars or make them customizable with the new skins system planed for 0.9.9.

What specific functionality are you looking for that is not available by just adding (and updating) a person? You may find you can add it by using a batch file to run several people information plugins or scripts a once. As a true relational database, the program is as capable of being a database of people with their related movies as it is a database of movies with their related people. But I've yet to hear of anyone using in this way, so there doesn't seem to be much demand to add "built-in" features that cater to that use.

I justed wanted to imported the data by writing part of the name like the movies. If that person is not in the database the you have to enter his full name precisely and save then import.

You do NOT need to enter a precise name.

I like this idea. I've use the ID field (because it's sortable and, for me, otherwise unused) to record the IMDb 250 rank. The ranking is dynamic, however, so it would be nice if I had a way to update this information. I think this would be handled best by a separate script that would download the entire list and update a user-specified field for any of the 250 that exist in the database. Hmmm. Maybe it's about time we started a script wish list (and begged louder for volunteers who are good at writing scripts!).

BTW, what I have done a few times is use Excel to parse the list into Title, Year and Rank fields, and import that into PVD to update the rankings. It works, but a script would be much less tedious.

I meant in a separate list or a special button. I don't want my movie list get expanded by some 200 movies. Also it would be very good to add the rank beside the IMDb rating in the movie page if the movie is in the top 250.

Hmm, I'll add this additional field to my low priority TODO list as well.

Ctrl-Deleting a movie deletes it from the database, rather than just making it invisible. It may do the same with people, but I'm not sure if there's any practical difference between a Delete and a Ctrl-delete for people. Either way, the person deleted will no longer appear in movie records. When the movie records are updated, the deleted person will reappear—as long as they still meet the criteria in the plugin settings. I think the only practical way to deal with a concern about the amount people information in the database is to restrict what is downloaded using the plugin configuration. Once that is done, you pretty much have to let the program download the information it needs to maintain the movie/people relationships correctly. Over time, as you add and delete records, your database will get "cluttered" with (mainly invisible) orphaned and duplicate records. These can be removed by running Optimize Database.

I don't think I made my self clear. Say for example that you have "The Godfather" and you thought that the director "Francis Ford Coppola" must have made another ten wonderful movies and you added him to people and updated him from IMDb but, unfortunately you didn't like his other movies and wanted to delete him from people. Now you have two options:
1. You make him invisible and then you have unused data that take space in the database.
2. You delete him from the records and when you view The Godfather, you find no director.

What I wanted to say is: there must be a way that brings things back before you update from IMDb and leave the records that were originally present in the database. As if I cancelled the update and ONLY the update.

By making a person invisible you do not loose much space on the hard drive. It is 1Kb maybe, but nothing to worry about.

In making my endless suggestions and questions, I've never seen the slightest hint that nostra is bothered. I'm sure he appreciates the input (as do other users, like me), and he seems pretty good at not being bothered when he had more important things to do. Right now, for example, I suspect he's busy putting the finishing touches on 0.9.9. So don't be disappointed if none of our recent suggestions are implemented. Once the beta is released, he's not going to add any major new features, but nosta listens to what beta testers have to say, and makes whatever improvements are practical and possible.

OK, you brought it to yourself. Whether I send no more feedback or overwhelm the site you have to accept your destiny. Wink

You are welcome to suggest everything that comes to your mind (and has smth to do with PVD :)

Offline nostra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 14, 2008, 05:31:57 pm »
By making a person invisible you do not loose much space on the hard drive. It is 1Kb maybe, but nothing to worry about.

It's about keeping things tidy and clean. What is optimization for then? A few more orphan names wouldn't strangle the list but you delete them even though they won't take up much space to keep things as neat as possiple. An undo option will probably suffice, please. It's all up to you eventually. We are just suggesting.

An Undo function is a bit difficult to implement. The Clear function could be used to remove unneeded data from the record, but it would also remove filmography. Maybe I'll just make removing filmigraphy optional for the clear function...

Offline jolly_bravo

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 14, 2008, 08:29:03 pm »
greetings!

2 options will make me happy
- Client-Server support
- Automatic screenshot making

screenshot making, for this option i just cant' wait :(
version 0.9.9, when will it be available for downlod, aprox...

thx for this great app, i use it just one day and i stopped to use extended movie manager & ant movie catalog  ;D
« Last Edit: August 15, 2008, 09:52:21 am by jolly_bravo »
h=f^3

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 14, 2008, 08:48:54 pm »
Maybe I'll just make removing filmography optional for the clear function...

I think such an option would just invite more confusion. Users need to appreciate there's never any advantage to messing with the integrity of the database by changing filmography information. As for clearing other information—what else is there? If I don't want a biography, I can turn on edit mode and delete it. The only purpose for the clear function that I can think of is for removing erroneous data so it can be updated correctly.

Offline nostra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 14, 2008, 10:36:54 pm »
Did you like the Icons? Wink

The icons are good, but pretty big and I am not sure they will suit everyone, so most probably I'll make them customizable.

2 options will make me happy
- Client-Server support
- Automatic screenshot making

Both are planned for 0.9.9.
It is very difficult to say when will 0.9.9 be ready, but I hope to release the first beta soon. Customizable information cards are not so easy to implement as I though and the Grid view will take some time, but I am working on it every day...

Offline nostra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 14, 2008, 10:40:25 pm »
Maybe I'll just make removing filmography optional for the clear function...

I think such an option would just invite more confusion. Users need to appreciate there's never any advantage to messing with the integrity of the database by changing filmography information. As for clearing other information—what else is there? If I don't want a biography, I can turn on edit mode and delete it. The only purpose for the clear function that I can think of is for removing erroneous data so it can be updated correctly.

Hmm, that's a good point as well. Ok, stuff like this comes at the end of the 0.9.9 programming, so I'll have some time to think about what is the best way for most users and hear some more opinions.

Offline meriator

• User
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 15, 2008, 02:39:51 am »
First 1000x Thanks for this nice App   :)

I would like to vote for all choices, if I could
but ...realy hard to decide...4 most important f.... are in my case..

Grid view, Customizable views, Client-Server support, Customizable file scanner
and
Read only version of PVD,..... if I could..
upps repeating my self
   ;D

what else I would like to be part of features is:
1. multible files for each movie-entrie, (  like *01.avi, *02.avi ).
 ( maybe this will be included in Customizable file scanner )
2. support for technical-team -> director of photography, camera, sound editor.... ->  from IMDb
3. displaing of  actor/actress <-> characters  in movie-preview
   ( and memders of technical-team <-> profession )
 ( maybe it's possible in Customizable views )
4. filtering of  movies by  awards
5. the ability to add users  for a Read only version of PVD to let them vote and comment movies
  and displaing of  users-votes & -comments
6. the ability to add diffrent kind of images to display them on diffrent positions in movie/person-preview
  aka (cover, poster, screenshot, photo, ...)
7. for cosmeticaly purposes only
   it would be nice to be able to access the movie-editor in (all)|(default)|(technical)|(image) -> menu-choices
this might give a better handling, maybe without too much scrolling

these are some of my ideas
cu meriator
while 1000 thanks crawling after one....they may never reach...the journey is the reward

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 15, 2008, 03:47:49 am »
Welcome to the forum, and thanks for your comments. I don't know exactly what we'll see in 0.9.9, but I'm sure you'll be pleased.

1. This is one of the shortcomings of the current scanner. I'm sure we'll see improvements in the new version. In the meantime, you can still add multiple files manually by separating the full pathnames of each with a "|".

2. I think two factors are going to affect requests of this sort. First, Customizable views and more flexible custom fields will improve our ability to add whatever we want. Second, the Scripting feature gives us the means to get the data for whatever fields we have added. The catch, of course, is that we'll have to do it ourselves.  :'(

3. What do you mean by "movie-preview"? The current Actors section shows actors and their roles if Preferences-Movies-Information card Show credits as...roles is set.

4. I was going to say you can Search or Advanced Search to filter, but they don't seem to work properly for awards. We should look at that during beta testing, and see if it can be fixed or improved.

5. Don't hold your breath.  ;)

6. It will be interesting to see how Customizable views will be implemented in this regard.

7. Or perhaps Edit this field on a context menu—for quick changes to one or two fields.

these are some of my ideas

Keep 'em coming!  ;)

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 15, 2008, 07:05:15 am »
Thanks. I might have known a bright guy like nostra would find a way to make me pay for all my "suggestions."  ;)