39 (5.4%)
Read only version of PVD
33 (4.6%)
Tag export/import (like ID3 for mp3)
29 (4%)
Preferred release title (more info)
22 (3.1%)

Total Members Voted: 146

Author Topic: Vote: Features for 0.9.9  (Read 196398 times)

Offline Darkethorne

• View Profile
Re: Vote: Features for 0.9.9
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2008, 08:11:01 am »
The feature I would most like to see right now is the ability to update people info as well as movie info from the the new movie master. When you add a new movie it would download movie info, poster,and update all the people associated with that movie all at once. It would greatly simplify updating all those actors. If PVD can do that now, please let me know how, as I cannot find it. I tried writing a new batch file, but it doesn't seem to work when mixing plugin types.  :-[

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
  • "I'm willing to shoot you!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2008, 09:35:58 am »
...I cannot find it.

Have you checked Preferences - People - Show people added from movie credits? If not, and your database includes many people who have not been updated, just select them all and update.

Offline Darkethorne

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2008, 10:27:01 am »
I have that option on, but how can you tell which people are new and need to be imported and which are old in the people list? It just adds the names, not the info. I have over 21000 people in the list, just updating them all is NOT an option.  :) I had to do that when I realized that they had to be imported seperately from the movies. It took DAYS!  :o It would be much easier if it could be done in one step, like movie info, posters, and cd covers are now. Just have a check box in the new movie master dialog to download people info for all people associated with that movie. I also agree with the idea of another window with the actor info in it, it's kinda a pain to switch back and forth between views. Also have an option NOT to add a movie to the movie list when you click on a movie in the people view. I use PVD to have a list of the movies I have and that produces movie listings for movies I don't have. Don't get me wrong, I love the program and prefer it to all the others I've tried, just a few tweaks would make it perfect, for me at least.  :)

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2008, 08:43:52 pm »
It just adds the names, not the info.

You're absolutely right—I'd forgotten this is what it does. Not only is my memory bad, but these additions—as you point out—get lost in a sea of people with no means of identifying them. I've dealt with this in the pass by doing a "mass update." Yes, it takes a long time—it needs to be run overnight, perhaps several nights. There must be a better way...

The issue is somewhat broader than new people not being updated. Even if they were, the information would eventually get "stale." I think what we actually need is a date stamp for the date of last update, and the means to update all records previously updated before a specified date. An update interval (n days) could be specified in Preferences, and an "Update records older than n days" added to the Tools-Import menu.

It seems logical that the same functionality be provided for movies as well, but movie information doesn't become "stale" in the same way. The amount and quality of information at a source will likely increase for a time after a movie's release, then remain static. Filters and Advanced Search provide the tools we need to periodically select movies to include in a "mass update" (e.g., 2008 releases added more than one month ago).

Having no means to identify people records that have not been updated reminds me of another missing feature—Advanced Search for people.

Also have an option NOT to add a movie to the movie list when you click on a movie in the people view.

What's happening here is the movie record is being made "visible" so you can view it—so it also appears in the list (which is set to display "visible" items). I've gotten used to deleting after viewing (which just makes it "invisible" again). But I agree, there has to be a better way. I suppose it requires an intermediate third state where the record is made temporarily visible because it's link has been selected. It would then need the option (perhaps a check box at the top of the pane) to "make this movie visible," in case the intention is to add the movie, rather than just view it.

I have over 21000 people in the list, just updating them all is NOT an option.

A possible interim solution... Search genre for "IS NULL." That will isolate the records that need updating, although it will include records which have been updated but have no genre. That won't matter, as long as the number of records is reduced to a manageable level. For example, I'm doing my own update now on 650 out of 11,000 records.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2008, 09:57:28 pm by rick.ca »

Offline nostra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Personal Video Database
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2008, 12:12:14 am »
"Date added" field is already planned for people. It seems that I'll have to add Advanced search as well ;) so you will be able to do the same thing as with movies.
Gentlemen, you can’t fight in here! This is the War Room!

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2008, 05:21:03 am »
It seems that I'll have to add Advanced search as well...

Of course. We want all the features, especially the advanced ones!  ;)

Please don't forget Darkethorne's point—that people should be updated (perhaps optionally) at the same time the movie is added. That, along with the ability to identify people needing updating, should make everyone happy.

Offline Darkethorne

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2008, 06:42:02 am »
Thanks for the quick replies, even just being able to search by date added would be a great help. I like rick's idea of an auto update based on age too! I know, I know, ask for a couple of things then think of ten more in solving those!  ;D
I'll try the search for genre idea, that should be a good stop-gap solution for now.

Offline nostra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2008, 12:26:43 pm »
Auto-update could be a bit problematic to implement and the problem I see is that all persons will be updated for each movie information download and it will make filling movie information very time consuming process.

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2008, 07:57:11 pm »
By "auto-update" you seem to mean the updating of people as new movies are being added. I don't think that would be missed if the date updated were recorded and Advanced Search available to filter based on that and other fields. BTW, it's important the date be the date updated, rather than the date added. It's main purpose would be to determine when the record needs to be updated again. It should be null when the record is created, so records never updated (i.e., new people from movies most recently added) can be identified easily.

That being said, the necessity of selecting people for updating is inconsistent with the automated nature of the rest of the program. I think it's important to include some sort of one-click solution in the tools menu—as I suggested before, and what I believe Darkethorne was referring to as "auto update based on age." Its existence will remind users people information needs to be updated periodically, and will give them an easy (although potentially lengthy) means of doing so. Without it, I fear new users will eventually notice people are not being updated, will not recognize the solution, and blame the design of the program.

Offline nostra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2008, 08:11:28 pm »
OK, I'll think about it, but I can't promise that this feature will be included in 0.9.9

Offline mntzion2000

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2008, 01:57:01 am »
Hello,

I was just wondering if there might be a guesstimate as to when the new 0.9.9 version might be released.

Offline nostra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2008, 02:03:51 am »
It is very difficult to say, but I think the first beta will be release in approximately 2 weeks.

Offline Kotzlowski

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 30, 2008, 08:41:47 pm »
Hi all,

here is my wishlist :) Sorry about my bad english :(

- For each movie in edit-mode a filepath to a movie-trailer and a play-button for the trailer on the movie page.

- One picture for each actor cast (screenshot). actors name, actors castname and actors movie screenshot on the movie page. Maybe only for leading actors that should be defined with a field. Leading actors name in bold letter.

- The alphabetical movie list without sorting small and capital letter. Now Small letter are sorted behind capital letter.

- The movie screenshots should be directly below the movie part, videofile informations should be below the screenshots.

- Less line space for videofile informations. (1 free row now?)

- One person-link each actor cast for his/her synchronisation voice

- An update-button for all actors eg imdb at one time for one movie. Now i have to click each actor to update the data.

- A bigger controll-move-button in the screenshot maker

Here a screenshot that will explain

Offline nostra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 30, 2008, 09:42:22 pm »
- For each movie in edit-mode a filepath to a movie-trailer and a play-button for the trailer on the movie page.

I can add trailers to description or in comments field like this:
<link url="C:\traler.avi">Trailer 1</link>

- One picture for each actor cast (screenshot). actors name, actors castname and actors movie screenshot on the movie page. Maybe only for leading actors that should be defined with a field. Leading actors name in bold letter.

- Less line space for videofile informations. (1 free row now?)

Information cards will be customizable in 0.9.9, so you will be able to change them as you wish

- An update-button for all actors eg imdb at one time for one movie. Now i have to click each actor to update the data.

I already have this in my TODO list, so I'll implement this feature some time...

- The alphabetical movie list without sorting small and capital letter. Now Small letter are sorted behind capital letter.

I do not have influence on sorting as it is done by the database engine - Firebird.

I do not really understand these 2 suggestions

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 30, 2008, 10:57:48 pm »

I assume this refers to dubbed movies. It's been a long time since I seen one of those. Isn't subtitling the more common method of translating films? In any case, I suspect this would involve too big a change in the structure of the database to be worthwhile. Is there a source from which such information can be downloaded? If not, you may as well just add it manually. Change your preferences to show actors and roles, then add the information to the role, something like: Jason Statham ... Farmer ([voice]), Leelee Sobieski ... Muriella ([voice]), etc.

I think I understand... Making screenshots requires good timing and reflexes. It would help if the play/pause button stayed beside the capture button (now it's "attached" to the right side of the window, while capture stays on the left, when the window is enlarged). It might help if all the buttons were larger, too.

Offline Kotzlowski

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 30, 2008, 11:50:52 pm »
again an expample screenshot

All german movies are translated by german actors. There are websites like http://www.stimmgerecht.de/schau/bekannte_synchronstimmen.php that lists those actors.

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 31, 2008, 12:31:09 am »
again an example screenshot

Now I understand. Yes, good idea.

...There are websites like ... that lists those actors.

So it would be possible to write a script to gather that information and add them as actors (your script might add them as "[name] ... voice of [role]"). But that's a lot of work. Have you considered setting up Web searches for such sites (e.g., http://www.stimmgerecht.de/cgi-bin/sitesearch.php.cgi?query=%s%u)? That's not as good as having the information in the database, but it makes it reasonably available for reference purposes.

Offline patch

• Older Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 31, 2008, 10:58:42 am »

I do not have influence on sorting as it is done by the database engine - Firebird.

What about the option to standardise the capitalisation? eg MediaMonkey "Case checker ..." script
Alternatively sorting based on a hidden lower cased field maybe an option.

Offline nostra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 31, 2008, 01:38:57 pm »
again an expample screenshot

OK, why not

What about the option to standardise the capitalisation? eg MediaMonkey "Case checker ..." script
Alternatively sorting based on a hidden lower cased field maybe an option.

Currently you can set up PVD to make all words in titles to start with a capital letter in Tools -> Preferences -> Movies -> Title formatting

Offline kri kri

• User
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 31, 2008, 08:25:45 pm »
How about an Eject after read finished with DVD option?