Author Topic: IMDb user comments  (Read 11637 times)

Offline jolly_bravo

• View Profile
IMDb user comments
« on: August 15, 2008, 05:50:59 pm »
is there any way to import the comments also when i import movie information with imdb plugin?
is ther any plugin or way to import user comments, from any other site? (in english)

thx
h=f^3

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
  • "I'm willing to shoot you!"
    • View Profile
Re: IMDb user comments
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2008, 06:41:17 pm »
I don't think so. I realize it's not really the same thing, but I prefer to use the more consistent and professional allmovies synopsis using an allmovies script. You can combine this with the IMDb plugin using the batch feature.

Offline nostra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Personal Video Database
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2008, 07:12:58 pm »
You can modify the existing plugin or write your own plugin or script. More information about extending PVD functionality can be found here: http://www.videodb.info/forum_en/index.php?board=3.0
Gentlemen, you can’t fight in here! This is the War Room!

Offline jolly_bravo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2008, 08:01:59 pm »
i'm already usin imdb + allmovie plugin, but when i import some info for a movie, in description is mostly just one sentence.
rarely is paragraph of text that gives more info about the movie
it would make me very happy to have more info for movies that i haven't seen yet

i don't  know how to modify or write my own plugin or script.
but thanks for your answers
h=f^3

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2008, 08:20:20 pm »
...in description is mostly just one sentence...

That doesn't sound right to me. Allmovies descriptions are fairly consistently one rather lengthy paragraph. Is your allmovies script configured to overwrite Description (i.e., there is a checkmark beside it in the Overwrite fields... section of Preferences-Plugins)? And is your IMDb plugin configured to not overwrite Description? Also, set Save description in... Description.

Offline jolly_bravo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2008, 08:54:24 pm »
...in description is mostly just one sentence...

That doesn't sound right to me. Allmovies descriptions are fairly consistently one rather lengthy paragraph. Is your allmovies script configured to overwrite Description (i.e., there is a checkmark beside it in the Overwrite fields... section of Preferences-Plugins)? And is your IMDb plugin configured to not overwrite Description? Also, set Save description in... Description.

i remove the checkmarks from imdb description and set it to allmovie
now it seems ok. i imported one movie and there was one paragraph, instead of one sentence
thx
h=f^3

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2008, 01:41:08 am »
Glad you got it working. Yes, it's confusing at first. But once you realize you can use any combination of plugins and scripts to get whatever you want...

Here's an idea. Imagine a configuration table, with data elements (chunks of data available from external sources) listed in the left-hand column, followed by a column for each external source (i.e., for each plugin or script installed), and a right hand column for setting the standard or custom field to save that data in. In each valid cell (i.e., the data element exists at the source) is a flag for the overwrite setting (omit, save if field is empty, add to existing, and overwrite). Then it would be easy to configure things like "Put IMDb user comments in Description, but overwrite this with the allmovies synopsis, if one exists." This would also provide a way to see at-a-glance where all the movie information is coming from.

There you go, nostra—something for your version 2.0 todo list. Right. I know, "...with a low priority." :D

Offline darichman

• User
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2008, 09:43:18 am »
I think what rick.ca suggests is the ideal solution here ~ it's really hard to cater for everybody's own needs, so some configurability would be the way to go. Sounds like it'd be a bit of work though ...  ;)

Offline adim

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2009, 08:08:03 am »
Hello.
First of all, really great, great, job!
Now, can someone modify the IMDB plugin to import user comments too? I tried to have a look to plugins skeleton and stuff, but programming isn't really my stuff. Everything is perfect with this plugin, except missing user comments.
Thanks a lot.