Author Topic: Documents data folder could not be found!  (Read 10129 times)

Offline mrcelery

• View Profile
Documents data folder could not be found!
« on: March 04, 2010, 10:51:40 am »
Have been using PVD for a long time, and have been very happy with it. However now every time I launch the program I get the message: 'Documents data folder could not be found!'. Closing the message, the program launches but with no data.

I've tried moving the .pvd file to different locations - Various folders in C: and on my NAS, to no affect. I've tried 'File > Open...', with no success, even though the .pvd file is there.

I've tried launching it via the .pdv file itself, but all I get is an error message: 'An error occurred in the application' with a number of button options.

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling, and occasionally it will open the file perfectly, but more often I get a different message saying: "4:Unable to complete network request to host"QNAPMedia" Failed to establish a connection. The system cannot find the file specified". But if I reboot my computer and try and open PVD again, I get the 'Document data folder could not be found' again.

I'm running Windows 7, and a QNAP TS-439 PRO TURBO NAS.

With the reinstall error message, I'm wondering if it has something to do with the QNAP NAS and Windows 7 Libraries, even though all files are on C:/, and I've not tried to connect to the QNAP server.

I'm not very experienced with NAS, so any help would be appreciated.

Steve

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
  • "I'm willing to shoot you!"
    • View Profile
Re: Documents data folder could not be found!
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2010, 11:52:55 am »
Welcome, mrcelery.

I have no idea what might be causing this, but I'll suggest a few things that might help. It sounds like you've tried it already, but just to be sure... locate your database somewhere on your C: drive (which I'm assuming is where PVD is installed). Put it someplace other than the default "My Documents" location—the program's attempt to locate that might be the cause of the problem. Start the program and attempt to Open the file at its new location. If you can't open it...

Restart the program using the portable.bat file in the installation directory. This runs the program with the -portable switch which causes the program to use a configuration file in the installation directory. Since there isn't one, a new default configuration file will be created. That should eliminate your configuration file as the source of the problem. If you still can't open it...

Please report exactly what happens.

buah

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2010, 01:14:34 pm »
The very first thing I would do would be to try to run .pvd on some other computer, preferably with Windows 7 without any NAS, that has never been part of any network, or never had any kind of connection with your present computer.

Unfortunately, me too cannot help you with NAS at all.

Offline mrcelery

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2010, 01:23:43 pm »
Welcome, mrcelery.

I have no idea what might be causing this, but I'll suggest a few things that might help. It sounds like you've tried it already, but just to be sure... locate your database somewhere on your C: drive (which I'm assuming is where PVD is installed). Put it someplace other than the default "My Documents" location—the program's attempt to locate that might be the cause of the problem. Start the program and attempt to Open the file at its new location. If you can't open it...

Restart the program using the portable.bat file in the installation directory. This runs the program with the -portable switch which causes the program to use a configuration file in the installation directory. Since there isn't one, a new default configuration file will be created. That should eliminate your configuration file as the source of the problem. If you still can't open it...

Please report exactly what happens.

Thanks for helping.

The database has been tried in a few locations, as you say. On your advice I moved it again from the 'C:\Program Files(x86)\Personal Video Database' folder to 'C:\Users\Steve\My Videos', and started the program. I immediately got the "4:Unable to complete network request to host"QNAPMedia" Failed to establish a connection. The system cannot find the file specified" error message, followed by a further two messages: "Failed to open database", then "file is not a valid database. Connection authorisation failure. Error Code: 3".

Trying 'File > Open...' at that location gave me a list of all movies in the left column, but nothing in the centre for about two minutes, just a blank white screen. Then everything (data\images) finally appeared. I assume that is because it is re-indexing – I have a list of 1,000+ movies.

However, when I reboot my PC, I’m back where I was – getting the same error messages:  'Documents data folder could not be found!'

I then ran the portable.bat file in the installation directory, which gives me the Command line box with 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Personal Video Database>”viddb.exe” -portable', and opens the program but nothing populates the left menu or centre. Any attempt to open the database using 'File > Open...' gives the error message: 'An error occurred in the application' with a number of button options.

I did copy the database to a laptop running Vista, and it worked fine there. Which makes me think it is a NAS or Windows 7 issue.

buah

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2010, 02:08:17 pm »
I did copy the database to a laptop running Vista, and it worked fine there. Which makes me think it is a NAS or Windows 7 issue.
Then, it's definitely something with NAS or Windows 7. What makes me think it is rather NAS issue is the part of a message that says "network request to host"QNAPMedia" Failed to establish a connection". It looks to me that launching PVD triggers some non-PVD service listed in Windows services list, that is to invoke a connection with QNAPMEDIA host. What kind of host is that?

Maybe it is ffmpeg.exe that triggers? Did you try to delete path to ffmpeg in PVD preferences, then to reopen PVD?

It might help to provide us a pictures of your PVD preferences, so to give us an idea what would cause "triggering"

Now, I want you to know tham I'm just guessing while trying to help.

But, please, make a backup of your database first, since it is definitely ok.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 02:11:20 pm by buah »

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
  • "I'm willing to shoot you!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2010, 07:30:30 pm »
Any attempt to open the database using 'File > Open...' gives the error message: 'An error occurred in the application' with a number of button options.

This sounds like the madExcept error reporter. If so, select the option to send the report. Do the same for any other event captured by it. In this kind of situation especially, those are likely to contain information that will help nostra diagnose the problem.

Offline mrcelery

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2010, 12:24:39 am »
Any attempt to open the database using 'File > Open...' gives the error message: 'An error occurred in the application' with a number of button options.

This sounds like the madExcept error reporter. If so, select the option to send the report. Do the same for any other event captured by it. In this kind of situation especially, those are likely to contain information that will help nostra diagnose the problem.

Thanks. Have sent the bug report.

Offline nostra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Personal Video Database
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2010, 01:45:54 am »
From which email address did you send the bug report, please?
Gentlemen, you can’t fight in here! This is the War Room!

Offline mrcelery

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2010, 01:42:47 pm »
From which email address did you send the bug report, please?

Have replied to your admin address, and have included the bug report again.

Cheers,
Steve

anything