Media Player Classic
BS Player
GOM Player
VideoLAN - VLC media player
KMPlayer
PowerDVD
XBMC
Other

Author Topic: Which player do you use  (Read 18941 times)

buah

Which player do you use
« on: June 02, 2010, 10:39:06 pm »
I mostly use GOM Player for several years (beside MPC Home Cinema).

Pros:
-The only player with I can make 720p to run on my old desktop, beside other well known advantages and tweaking possibilities.

Againsts:
- Too small fonts for skins, and that is not adjustable.
- No playing file info - regarding its location (dummy?).
- Playlist should be with more capabilities.

I think I'll give it a try to The KMPlayer.

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
  • "I'm willing to shoot you!"
    • View Profile
Re: Which player do you use
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2010, 12:47:32 am »
Get serious. Get J. River Media Center.

I don't know which of those mentioned, if any, will use CoreAVC. My understanding is it's a big help to older systems trying to handle HD video.

Offline Hyomil

• User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2010, 03:31:08 am »
I haven't tried J. River Media Center yet, but KMPlayer now has a ton of options.  I use BSPlayer for screenshots because its the only player I've found that enables you to frame-step backwards as rapidly as forward.  This is due to, when you frame-step forward, all the frames are stored in RAM, so you can instantly step back through them to pick the best frame.  Some other players enable backward-stepping but they're either slow or only step back to the previous keyframe.  (I use the ShuttleXpress jog-shuttle rather than the keyboard to make it even faster.)  You can also configure it to save both the timecode and the frame number in the filename of the screenshot.

buah

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2010, 03:40:15 pm »
Yes, you're right. CoreAVC helps to handle HD video, but for me only in combination with GOM Player, used as an external filter.

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2010, 10:53:02 pm »
Yes, you're right. CoreAVC helps to handle HD video, but for me only in combination with GOM Player, used as an external filter.

Which is why the claim any standalone player is good solution because "it plays everything" (as very commonly said about VLC) is misleading. The only way to play all video with the best video and the best audio for the devices you have available is to use the Windows filter system—with whatever filters are required in the circumstances. MC supports that, as well as allowing you to use whatever player you want, by file type. It can get complicated and very frustrating to configure properly, but that's what you need to do if you want quality.

All this may be unnecessary, of course, if you're just playing video on a PC with a crappy sound system. But many people today want to play anything they find on the Internet to a Blu-ray on a home theatre system. I don't think any standalone player will cut it.

Offline Ivek23

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2010, 08:34:29 pm »
I also use GOM player for several years mainly because at least for me to facilitate the coordination subtitles they get to this page here with the program called Sublight on this page here.I am very pleased with it.It is a very good program, supports multiple languages and has a lot of subtitles in different languages.It is good if you logged in as easily download subtitles (though it is otherwise well, but slower) but even better, to be sure about how the program really works.Well,of course, Web search for subtitles.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 08:37:10 pm by Ivek23 »
Ivek23
Win 10 64bit (32bit)   PVD v0.9.9.21, PVD v1.0.2.7, PVD v1.0.2.7 + MOD

Offline CAD

• Older Power User
  • I've got my eye on you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2010, 02:42:31 am »
vlc on my desktop.
plays virtually anything you can throw at it.
+ tons of other features

xbmc for streaming to tv.
supports library functions, music, weather, + other apps.
NB: I am running it on original xbox.

both xbmc and vlc support subtitle files .svc
three fingered salutation

Offline deazo

• Older Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2010, 06:32:15 am »

I am using VLC on my TV, on which I plugged my multimedia PC.
 I had started by using MPC Home theatre and had followed a guide to optimize it for better image quality but I got tired of all the tweaks (different movies files with different qualities and encoding need different settings and adjustement). Also my (poor vision?) eyes cannot see much difference between a tweaked MPC rendering and a VLC rendering.

HOWEVER, if there is something better (even if it is -only slightly- more complicated) out there please let me know.
 Rick, what player is J River MC using?

Offline nostra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Personal Video Database
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2010, 07:40:17 pm »
My Media PC: MediaPortal + K Lite Code Pack + CoreAVC (plays everything I could ever try except BD Clones)
Work PC: Media Player Classic Home Cinema with K Lite Code Pack (plays everything)
Gentlemen, you can’t fight in here! This is the War Room!

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2010, 10:16:48 pm »
Rick, what player is J River MC using?

MC uses whatever DirectShow filters are installed on the system. For each file type, you can specify which filters are to be used, or it can be automatic. Or you can designate an external player. I've found no need for the latter option. The former is preferable because it offers a seamless experience (i.e., because it seems MC is the player).

So what I'm doing is similar to what nostra is doing on his media PC. Except I use MC instead of MediaPortal, and CCCP instead of K Lite. I also use AC3Filter handle audio via SPDIF to my home theatre receiver.

Offline Data1001

• User
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2010, 08:05:00 am »
Hi, all!

Brand new PVD user here. Found it through Google after finding that my old software, Movie Library, was now completely abandoned by its author, and none of the APIs worked anymore. So far this does nearly everything that program did, and a lot it couldn't do, which is awesome, since I actually paid for that one.  ;)

Anyway, just thought I'd chime in on this topic, also my first post to the forums...

Having digital files in a large number of different formats, as many do, I eventually found my way to VLC, until it stopped working right, and then BS Player, but I also had problems with that. (Dunno, could be an odd combination of codecs, but I got tired of trying to figure it out, when nothing I tried solved the problems with either piece of software.)

Right around that same time, however, I decided to buy the Nero suite, mainly because I loved their burning software, and also, Nero Vision was the only DVD creation app that could transcode any video file I threw at it to DVD format. Then I gradually discovered that their media player, Nero ShowTime, played EVERY type of video (and I believe nearly every type of audio file) that I had.

Fast-forward a few years later, and I'm still using Nero ShowTime. I know Nero doesn't get much respect, and I can understand the claims that it's a bloated software. It also takes longer than similar types of apps just to load. But I've found it to be really robust and reliable, and I use it pretty much every day.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Going off-topic, thanks for keeping the PVD forums lively, since I've already found answers here to a dozen or so questions that I've had since installing it last week. Looking forward to interacting more with y'all in the future, as I continue to expand my movie database... about 1,000 down and only about 6,000 to go!  ;D

Offline FrankTheTank

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2011, 09:33:32 pm »
I use MPC HC, very lightweight and it uses less system resources that other players. I use it because my htpc is an older build, but still plays 720p and 1080p videos just fine :)

Offline deazo

• Older Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2011, 12:59:54 pm »

How do you work in GOM with multiple subtitles files?

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2011, 07:39:56 pm »
Please don't encourage the spam bots. ;)

Offline afrocuban

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2013, 06:41:14 pm »
PotPlayer after ages of testing which one suits me the most.

Great player. Once you set it up, which is not that easy, you get optimum experience.
I use it with LAV CUVID filters, combined with SVP and Bahgravi skinned.

Nice point to start - here

Offline koliniol

• View Profile
    • Digital movie Database
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2013, 06:03:17 pm »
Abandoned KMPlayer from Pot Player for my Windows PC
I USE Serviio for DLNA Streaming to my Panasonic Viera

anything