Author Topic: linking to other records....  (Read 5554 times)

Offline katleeh

• User
    • View Profile
linking to other records....
« on: May 27, 2011, 03:47:24 am »
Is there a way to link to other records in a database? For instance let's say I'm looking at the info for one movie and want to have a link to the next movie in the series, is there a way to do that?

- katleeh

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
  • "I'm willing to shoot you!"
    • View Profile
Re: linking to other records....
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2011, 06:34:37 am »
Yes. The Connections field. It's filled by the IMDb plugin, but you can add whatever movie links you like.

Offline katleeh

• User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2011, 11:29:06 pm »
Drat, that doesn't work very well. It only works for movies... I was looking for something I could link to different movies, but also to different episodes. For instance, say I am working on my Babylon 5 collection and want to post a connection from S01E10 to S3E15 because of a reference or tie in, that's one of the things I was hoping to be able to do. As it is, I can interlink movies, but can't do anything with the episodes. Well, at least it will link main things together.

- Katleeh

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2011, 03:06:57 am »
For instance, say I am working on my Babylon 5 collection and want to post a connection from S01E10 to S3E15...

Right click on any memo field in edit mode and Create Hyperlink. If the reference or tie in is in an existing commentary (e.g., Description), select the reference (i.e., the text) and turn it into a hyperlink. If you do so, you'll want to be careful a plugin does not overwrite the field when it next updates the record. If that's not practical, use Comments or a custom memo field.

Offline katleeh

• User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2011, 04:04:46 pm »
Thank you, Rick.ca. That's exactly what I was looking for. Will this work for doing people? Can their names be highlighted in a commentary field to goto the actor's info sheet just like with the cast list? The reason I ask is because I'm going to try adding a memo section in my anime skin for the japanese cast list and want to be able to run links there as well.

- katleeh

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2011, 05:26:26 pm »
Yes.